Sponsored

Has Anyone Ever Gotten a Warranty Claim Denied for a Tune?

ComeIngotIt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver '18 GT PP1
I’m considering a Lund Flex Tune for my otherwise stock GT but with all the engine replacements I see on here I’m on the fence. I know the Magnuson Moss act means the dealer has to prove the issue was caused by the mod but once they see its tuned I think that would be a pretty easy rejection. Curious as to what everyone else’s 2 Cents on the matter are.
Sponsored

Furious18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt, 2018 f150 eb 3.5
I’m considering a Lund Flex Tune for my otherwise stock GT but with all the engine replacements I see on here I’m on the fence. I know the Magnuson Moss act means the dealer has to prove the issue was caused by the mod but once they see its tuned I think that would be a pretty easy rejection. Curious as to what everyone else’s 2 Cents on the matter are.
If it was something serious, you’d def get declined based off the dealership sending the ecu to ford

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
I have no personal experience with this, so take what I’m about to say at face value. You’re going to get wildly differing opinions and stories about tunes and powertrain warranties. When modifying a car from factory you have to be prepared for the possibility that you *could* be denied a warranty claim on the modified systems. There’s no guarantee a warranty claim will be denied because of a modification, but there’s also no guarantee the warranty on the modified system will be honored should there be an issue.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Really depends on the dealership. Some are cool about it, some aren't. Lund has some really safe tunes and they rely on the knock sensors. They can go aggressive though if you ask them to. The tune would be the least of your worries unless your engine has major issues right now.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
There really has not been many actual engine failures. Internet makes it appear they are all failing and crappy motors. Yes, shit happens. Stock 18 plus motor has cleared over 1000 whp in multiple setups. I bet a fair share of the replacements where due to owners complaining about tick/rattle. The chances of the tune causing a failure is pretty low imo. Again, everyone has an opinion...

Sponsored

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
Can it? Yes.

Will it? Maybe.

Different dealers different levels of service. To put the odds in your favor get to know the service manager, make friends with him/her. Send them something on their birthdays and Christmas. You'd be surprised how that makes things go smoother all around.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Fact:
An aftermarket Tune not authorized by Ford and one that is not offered through Ford Performance will void certain aspects of the Ford new car warranty.

To be as crystal clear as possible - the attached is directly from Ford - interpret it as you wish, but pay very close attention to not only how the main body is worded, but also the 3rd bullet in the 1st section, which equates to “tuning”.

Everyone can reference back to the M&M Act, but when reading the attached, Ford’s Legal Team has worded their position in such a way that if a tune exists - you’ve already tampered with the systems, which in effect voids the warranty.

Modifying comes with risks - if you have the pockets to play, you have the pockets to pay IF the mod has crossed the fine lines noted in their warranty provisions.
CED8837A-7EE4-4148-8795-BB3609D524D3.jpeg
5D4EEAD5-A515-4421-884E-B7B50E59B083.jpeg

strike-eagle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
Say you flash back to stock after an aftermarket tune since you need warranty work. I assume that before you flash your tune, you'd take a backup of your stock tune. Does that backup include the key turns so that if you have to revert to stock, you're not left with 0 key turns?

According to the doc below, it's the only way they can tell if a tune was flashed:
https://ford.oemdtc.com/GSB/G0000128.pdf

FWIW - I had a short block replacement. Had catback, was lowered, had wheels & tires, and they didn't even mention anything aftermarket yada yada yada.

1bad66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT PP1, '66 Mustang, '18 BMW X3, '97 Tacoma
Nope, key turns will be reset as I understand.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Nope, key turns will be reset as I understand.
Correct. The ignition key count is how Ford can determine if something is abnormal if there has been a catastrophic engine failure.

It’s been discussed on here multiple times - if tuned, Ford can tell by the stored ignition key counts.

Put it this way - say from the day you bought the vehicle up and until you installed a tune:
Accrued miles = 10,000
IGN Key Count = 300

Once you implement or install that tune:
Accrued miles = 10,000
IGN Key Count = 1 (low number exaggerated for discussion)

The IGN Key Count is a huge red flag - because there’s no possible way the owner has 10k mikes and only 1 key count.

Even if the Key Count were 10, again with 10k miles it’s impossible to have such a low key count and high miles.

Yes it varies by Dealership if the IGN Key Count is overlooked - but if there is a point where Ford questions a Dealership request for warranty repair because the cost of repair meets or exceeds warranty repair cost thresholds, they could (and in most instances) will investigate further - with the IGN Key Count being one of those immediate flags.

Also as stated previously, if you read the legal wording in the docs I posted, Ford has an “out” based on how those docs are worded, period. Sure you could challenge, but again if we are discussing ONLY “tuning”, once a vehicle owner has installed a tune, per the 3rd bullet above, that is defined as “tampering” with the vehicle system, period.

It doesn’t matter if those docs exist or what facts are posted anyway right? We all know that S550 owners will continue to modify their Mustangs regardless of the risks or possibly voiding their warranty. It’s just part of being a Mustang Owner.

Some folks also think they can pull off fraud by “putting things back to stock” then taking it to the Dealership to claim “warranty” repairs...

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
If you think something wrong is going to happen with your engine, I'd advise against it. There are 1,000 different opinions on the subject. The point is that no matter what anybody tells you, including me, it doesn't change anything. It's gonna be what it's gonna be. Either tune or it or don't.

Sounds like you're already afraid of what might happen so maybe just enjoy the car and if the engine goes, free warranty replacement.

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Up to the dealer or should i say mechanic / service manager, even the ones that tell me not to mod it, their mechanics and salesman mod and tune their own fords because they don't have an issue getting the work done.

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
Anytime the pcm is flashed , tune or at the dealer level for a calibration update . The pcm resets the key count to 0 . this is read in mode 9 with the scan tool . Ford may or may not ask for that print out in a warranty repair . There are also GSM s published by Ford on what to look for when there is an engine failure . Ford wants to know what the root cause of failure is . This goes across the board of all Ford engines not just the 5.0 .

2015VAStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach1 HP , 21 f250 , 97 4runner, 22 Streetglide
So if they go by key (ignition) counts your best bet would be to put a tune on it as soon as you get it with very low miles and send it? Lol

Furious18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt, 2018 f150 eb 3.5
So if they go by key (ignition) counts your best bet would be to put a tune on it as soon as you get it with very low miles and send it? Lol
You’d have to flash it back to stock and restart the key count or they would see that the calibration isn’t stock.

If something big happens ford will want the ecu from the dealership so it won’t matter how cool the dealership is.
Sponsored