I dont know how you guys do it...

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
Lol, create a thread about the car not behaving the way you want, proceed to shut down all suggested solutions. I'd suggest just keeping the car off the track.

Turning advancetrac off does not turn everything off. You likely got wheel hop and the car intervened. The only way to turn everything off is to pull the ABS plug near the intake, but then you'll lose drag mode.
Sponsored

growler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp
The variance in sixty was track prep(still damp on the first run) and the 330' was because on run 2 the car basically shut off.

I lucked out in the staging lanes. I was next up and they decided to run jr dragsters. So the car sat an hour before I ran. Iat was 88* and cht was 190*
You're not tuned, but you can bet your bottom dollar there is STILL some torque management on a stock car even in DRAG mode. That's where your problem is.[/QUOTE]

the car shut off because you hit the rev limiter when your tires broke loose on the one-2 shift, it happened to me 3-4 times last year on stock tires..it happened zero times one I got drag radials..all the hop and stupid shit will disappear once your hooking and the track prep is sub par or maybe the pavements just too cold, my track wont open below 50 for that reason

OP
OP
Dusten

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
What was the da for that day? My trap speed can vary about 7 mph and a full second with a crappy da.
Da was good. 600ft

Lol, create a thread about the car not behaving the way you want, proceed to shut down all suggested solutions. I'd suggest just keeping the car off the track.

Turning advancetrac off does not turn everything off. You likely got wheel hop and the car intervened. The only way to turn everything off is to pull the ABS plug near the intake, but then you'll lose drag mode.
The thread was posted to see how the other stock cars were managing to not have the issues, not how to mod the car.

bigwill90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
With the 1.9 sixty you should run bottom 12 ...Something happen between your 60’to the 330’..I bet it’s spinning due to track prep are you dropping air pressure I ran 18-19 psi ...Check your car Make sure it has no stored codes . Oh yeah I run with at least a half of tank to me help with traction..

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
The OP has explained that he is getting wheelhop on the 1-2 shift and the car basically shut down. I used to have the same problem. What happens is that as the wheels literally leave the pavement, the car hits the rev limiter. I have also had it immediately shift to 3rd when this happens. More often, however, the RPMs rise so quickly that it hits the limiter faster than the car can shift. I have videoed this situation and seen the tach spike to over 7500 RPM instantly.

Why do some cars have the wheelhop this badly and others don't? I think most of it is track prep and/or track temperature. Air pressure in the tires makes a difference. Rear wheel alignment could even make a difference. The bottom line for those that have the problem is that the loss of traction and wheelhop must be corrected. Until I was able to fix mine, I just used sport mode instead of drag mode. With the softer shift, it didn't wheelhop but I only ran low 12s. Once I got the drag radials, I could use drag mode and was easily in the 11s.

It sounds like the OP is giving up on going to the track. That is too bad since it is great fun. Some easy mods to fix the traction loss is all he needs to do. It might be as easy as lowering tire pressure or heating up the tires a bit prior to running. The Steeda stop the hop kit would be a good addition. A set of drag radials would also solve his problem.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dusten

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
The OP has explained that he is getting wheelhop on the 1-2 shift and the car basically shut down. I used to have the same problem. What happens is that as the wheels literally leave the pavement, the car hits the rev limiter. I have also had it immediately shift to 3rd when this happens. More often, however, the RPMs rise so quickly that it hits the limiter faster than the car can shift. I have videoed this situation and seen the tach spike to over 7500 RPM instantly.

Why do some cars have the wheelhop this badly and others don't? I think most of it is track prep and/or track temperature. Air pressure in the tires makes a difference. Rear wheel alignment could even make a difference. The bottom line for those that have the problem is that the loss of traction and wheelhop must be corrected. Until I was able to fix mine, I just used sport mode instead of drag mode. With the softer shift, it didn't wheelhop but I only ran low 12s. Once I got the drag radials, I could use drag mode and was easily in the 11s.

It sounds like the OP is giving up on going to the track. That is too bad since it is great fun. Some easy mods to fix the traction loss is all he needs to do. It might be as easy as lowering tire pressure or heating up the tires a bit prior to running. The Steeda stop the hop kit would be a good addition. A set of drag radials would also solve his problem.

Not giving up the track. Just in the mustang.

This is shooting for tens next fall...

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
OP don’t give up on the 18
He comes asking for advice and shoots it all down.. Save your breath.

Isn't there a lightning forum somewhere?

Now that I think about it.. I doubt he owns a mustang and is here to shill a YouTube page...

Last edited:

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Where the other coyotes' strugling on Sunday too?
I think days weather and track may have contributed to traction challenges.
You should take it back in a few weeks and have some fun.

NC85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Missing
I had no issues at the same track on the same day. I also have drag oriented mods to help avoid the traction issues associated with street tires on a race track surface.

Tires
Stop the Hop
Axles
DS

Sponsored

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
Second outing in the gt.

2018, a10, pp1. Stock.

My 1/8th mile experience wasn't bad. Small learning curve. I've got 100s of passes under my belt, but all in a high torque vehicle on slicks. So much different than my gt.

However after two passes today I parked it.

First pass was awful due to weather. It had rained, they let us run, but the track wasnt dry. I left @ 1800ish, spun and lifted. 2.78 60'. It felt like ice. I was watching big tire cars get real sideways after me.
Car ran a 14.337 @ 113.1
Any and all data was useless.

Second pass, car in drive, advance trac off, drag mode on.
Left @ 1300, car hooked ok. 1.9 60'
Car shifted into Second, I got the expected wheel hop, and it basically shut down. I had to hit the pedal 3 or 4 times before anything happened.

14.4 @ 110

I dont know why it shut down like that, but I think I'll stick to my lightning for straight line stuff.
Bad track conditions can't be helped, giving up because of them makes no sense either. When I go to the drag strip I literally wait until the big tire guys run, if they can't hook, track prep is shit and you will have horrible runs as evidenced by your times.

Most tracks continue to prep as the day goes on and the track dries so conditions improve. If I still see big tire cars having issues I go behind the last one that went, I lower my launch and net a decent run instead of a horrible one. After running 6 times at 2 different drag strips last year (in my current GT) my worst pass was a 12.5@114 when Advanced Trac decided it was time to turn itself back on and kill power between going into 2nd and then going into 3rd and 6th, still 12.5 isn't too bad.

For some reasons some Mustang's have issues with Advanced Trac, mine was one of them, the new tune seems to have fixed this, we'll see when I go up there next but I have run 12.0 on stock tires so if a car with 20" Goodyear all weather tires can go 12.0 a car with better rubber certainly can. Take it out again, why give up?

nate-roth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Ive been debating tires too, fairly certain Im just goimg to get some drag radials for the A10 before the first track outing. I plan on running a few times a month and would like to foot brake class bracket race the car every few months so I think they will save a lot frustration.

OP
OP
Dusten

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
OP don’t give up on the 18
I wouldn't call it giving up. I just dont mod my daily drivers. If the car is going to require mods to be somewhat trackable, I'll stick with my toys.

He comes asking for advice and shoots it all down.. Save your breath.

Isn't there a lightning forum somewhere?

Now that I think about it.. I doubt he owns a mustang and is here to shill a YouTube page...
I didnt shoot down advice. I asked how the other stock cars were running these times. I know how to fucking mod a car to get down a track.

Yes, there are lightning forums. I'm on them too.

And you're right, I dont a mustang, I've got three, thanks.

I honestly didnt notice. The only race I watched was two coyotes running a no time race. Most the coyotes had tires on them at least. See nc85's post. Apparently he was there.

I cant take it back in a few weeks. I deploy tomorrow.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
Lol. Sounds like you are in need of a driver mod.. And a towel

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
Ive been debating tires too, fairly certain Im just goimg to get some drag radials for the A10 before the first track outing. I plan on running a few times a month and would like to foot brake class bracket race the car every few months so I think they will save a lot frustration.
I drive to the strip on street tires, carry my DRs in the trunk and put them on at the track. The DRs remove all hint of wheelhop. I don't drive them to the track since it is 110 miles away.

I would love to have a sticky summer tire that I could run on the street and strip without issues but I don't want to experiment with different street tires until I find ones that work.
Sponsored