Sponsored

Street Tires and Clutch Guys - How Are You Launching?

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
Most of the slips I see in here are guys on DR's/Slicks, or with an auto trans. How are you manual guys launching on street tires? I plan on heading to the track soon and don't want to waste all my runs. What rpm are you guys leaving at? Clutch dump or feather it? Thanks for the advice...it's a little different launching this than my WRX.
Sponsored

Burnin4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Judging from your mods I'd guess you are around 420whp+, which means you are not going to hook at the strip with street tires. Definitely don't drop the clutch, leave as softly as you can (idle) to avoid wheel hop, and don't mash 2nd gear because you will break the tires loose and get sideways. Try lowering rear tires to 25psi, increasing front's to 35psi. Don't set any expectations for ET's on street tires, just shoot for a nice safe pass so you can see your mph, true indicator of power. You gotta have drag radials if you plan on getting any decent et's, and dr's will also keep you safer at the strip

^I have 1000+ dragstrip launches from my 9 previous Subaru's, lol, plus another 1000+ on my rear wheel drive cars. Burnin4 <--- YouTube

Last edited:
OP
OP

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
That's what I was thinking...that 1-2 shift can be pretty nasty. Hope the track prep guy does his job.

Burnin4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
^I wouldn't rely on anyone for the prep, go easy on your first 2 pass's so that way you can get a feel for the track. Don't worry about your et (it's going to suck, haha!), mph will be the same regardless of your 60ft/driving. I'd launch at idle, and shift like a granny going into 2nd gear, then shift at 7500 2nd/3rd/4th. Practice rowing all 4 gears while waiting in line, 1st,2nd,3rd,4th, it'll help with a quick muscle memory drill.

If at any time you are wheel hoping, let off asap. I've personally witnessed a 15 GT with bolt-ons/oem tires snap an axle on his very first pass.

Carlosa_garcia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium DIB PP 6MT
You will probably spin at anything over 1000rpm. I was still able to pull 2.0 60ft times launching right at about 1000rpms. But then start spinning at top of 1st into 2nd.

OP
OP

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
^I wouldn't rely on anyone for the prep, go easy on your first 2 pass's so that way you can get a feel for the track. Don't worry about your et (it's going to suck, haha!), mph will be the same regardless of your 60ft/driving. I'd launch at idle, and shift like a granny going into 2nd gear, then shift at 7500 2nd/3rd/4th. Practice rowing all 4 gears while waiting in line, 1st,2nd,3rd,4th, it'll help with a quick muscle memory drill.

If at any time you are wheel hoping, let off asap. I've personally witnessed a 15 GT with bolt-ons/oem tires snap an axle on his very first pass.
Yeah, I'm probably going to shift at 7600 or so after I get my Boss intake on. I'm good on the gear rowing, that's not a problem. Wheel hop isn't a big issue for me with the BMR cradle lockout setup. Just wondering what to expect from this car out of the hole on street tires.

You will probably spin at anything over 1000rpm. I was still able to pull 2.0 60ft times launching right at about 1000rpms. But then start spinning at top of 1st into 2nd.
That's what I was thinking. Thanks for the heads up.
Sponsored