2018 Mustang GT- Dealer Lied/ non stop CEL under 3k Miles

Mike10645

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
New to the site. I bought a new 2018 GT Base about 30 days ago, and it is in the shop again for a CEL. First came on about 2500 miles, was cam shaft position sensor. They replaced VCT on bank 2. Left the lot, light came back on within 10 miles. Brought it back, they said cam phasers. I also have a large white cloud that comes out of the exhaust when I idle or sit at a light for too long. Really large cloud that comes out when I give it gas. It evaporate either, it stays in the air.

Come to find out the car was in the shop at the lot before I even bought it, said fuel filled spark plugs, replaced high side injectors on right bank.

Now I find out that my car was sold to someone else, they had an issue, and returned it. The GM called me and said they “accidentally” used my vin on another deal, and I would have a delay in getting my tags. Went out of his way to lie to me, and never told me the car had a work history already.

Car is currently in the shop. I spoke with the new GM at the lot, and he is working to get me a new car, or a way to fix mine.

I am not a car guy really, just loved the new mustangs, and left my F-150 for it. So I could use some pointers on what you guys think I should do.

I guess my main questions would be two things:

1. With the items that are wrong, anyone know what could be causing it, or anything I should be aware of to be semi intelligent and not get run over by the dealership?
2. Anyone know what could be causing this crazy white cloud from my exhaust?
3. What do you think I should do about the vehicle. Since it was previously sold, and fixed before me owning it, do I have any leg to stand on for demanding an actual NEW vehicle? Or is my only option to let them replace the motor, or just continue to fix the issues as they come up? Them purposely lying to me about the VIN and the car being sold and returned, and now the car has been in the shop 3 times before 3000 miles seems to be BS that I shouldn’t have to deal with. Not sure if it’s against the law, or just super shady. The new GM is being really nice, and has mentioned getting me a different vehicle, just would like to know my options in case he does not go that route.

Not really sure my options, and there seem to be really helpful people on here. Hopefully you guys can help me navigate this and not get railroaded by a crooked dealership.
Sponsored

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
You bought a used car correct? Typically they have no obligation to tell you the service history of a used car. Did you ask them for the service history?

I would be very skeptical of a low mile 18-19 at this point. For that matter a low mile new car in general. There's a reason someone got rid of it with 3k miles on it.

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Definitely some shady stuff going on by the dealership. If they can't get you another car, I would demand they replace the engine because these little band aid fixes clearly aren't working. Good luck.

jhunt47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Y
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I would wait to see what the new gm at the dealer says. Give them time to get something together.
If you haven’t tagged the car yet they could roll back the deal and get you into another car. As long as the car was purchased new. If it was sold to you as used then it might be a bit harder to get out of. If indeed sold as new to you set up a appt to see the gm in person. Be polite and ask if the deal can be rolled back due to all the problems before you bought it and the ones you are having now.

Sponsored

17LightningGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
If you bought it as a new vehicle and it was used, I would definitely say they should get you into a BRAND new car. Once a vehicle is sold, even if returned, it should be classified as a used vehicle. I believe it would be a legal type issue if thats the case.

OP
OP
Mike10645

Mike10645

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
You bought a used car correct? Typically they have no obligation to tell you the service history of a used car. Did you ask them for the service history?

I would be very skeptical of a low mile 18-19 at this point. For that matter a low mile new car in general. There's a reason someone got rid of it with 3k miles on it.

I bought it NEW, it had 175 miles on it. I was told I was the first owner. I guess maybe because it never got tagged, it was still classed as a new vehicle. He went out of his way to say the VIN was “accidentally” tied to another deal, so there would be a delay in the tags.

OP
OP
Mike10645

Mike10645

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I would wait to see what the new gm at the dealer says. Give them time to get something together.
If you haven’t tagged the car yet they could roll back the deal and get you into another car. As long as the car was purchased new. If it was sold to you as used then it might be a bit harder to get out of. If indeed sold as new to you set up a appt to see the gm in person. Be polite and ask if the deal can be rolled back due to all the problems before you bought it and the ones you are having now.
It was an out of state sale, so I just received word yesterday that the tags are ready to be picked up. Since I don’t even have the car, and may end up getting something different, so I haven’t went to pick the tags up yet. Hopefully they do what they say and give me a new car. He said he has located one, now he has to go through the process.

OP
OP
Mike10645

Mike10645

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
If you bought it as a new vehicle and it was used, I would definitely say they should get you into a BRAND new car. Once a vehicle is sold, even if returned, it should be classified as a used vehicle. I believe it would be a legal type issue if thats the case.

I’m hoping this is my leg to stand on. Definitely wasn’t under the impression my NEW car had been previously owned, or that it already had a service history starting around 100 miles.

OP
OP
Mike10645

Mike10645

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Definitely some shady stuff going on by the dealership. If they can't get you another car, I would demand they replace the engine because these little band aid fixes clearly aren't working. Good luck.
Agreed! I don’t think this should be my problem at this point, seems like they need to fix this on them, even if they need to take my car back.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Mike10645

Mike10645

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

Was still sold as NEW. Had 173 miles on it when I bought it.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6

There are actually people who purchase a car as a second car and hold on to it and for whatever reason, health, divorce, kids etc. change
plans. My weekender has 2000 miles and is an example of a GT anyone would want and be lucky to get if I ever decided to sell.

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
Contact you service advisor , service manger or the general manger . Ask them to review Ford communication EFC07306 dated 2/18/2019

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Was the car previously titled?
The vin error is an e&o claim
Don’t let them or you participate in letting them fix the error

Tell them to unwind the deal
Sponsored