Sponsored

TSB 19-2026: Aluminum Panel Corrosion

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
No, Ford has actually extended the model YEARS too, specifically states it in the TSB and lists the model years by product. For instance this TSB applies to ALL 2005-2019 Mustangs and other Ford products back to year 2000. Obviously warranty is completely gone on vehicles where paint warranty was 5 years (or less), so it seems from the official document that if a Customer has a 2005 Mustang with such corrosion, it can be repaired.

I’m really thinking Ford has revised and issued this TSB to supersede others to avoid or make null and void any pending lawsuits for the aluminum body panel corrosion issue.
Ford is now warrantying cars all the way back to model year 2000? If the list in the table is assumed that it means covered under warranty, then why didn't they even use the word "warranty" in the TSB to make it clear?

At the bottom of the TSB it says:
"Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan
coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article
."

This TSB says: "This article supersedes TSB 17-0062 to update the model years." What does TSB 17-0062 say?

There was no mention of any warranty or a warranty extension in this new TSB. I'm thinking them showing "2000-2018 Navigator" (for instance) is just showing the model years that have this issue. It's not very clear to me.

The Ford warranty says (for the 2015 Mustang at least):

"Your vehicle’s body sheet metal panels are covered for an extended
Corrosion Coverage Period, which lasts for five years, regardless of miles
driven. The extended warranty coverage only applies if a body sheet metal
panel becomes perforated due to corrosion during normal use due to a
manufacturing defect
in factory-supplied materials or factory workmanship."

So how I read the TSB is that any sign of corrosion will be covered under warranty now (if it's currently under warranty), it just doesn't need to be perforated to qualify for a warranty fix (ie, a new panel replacement as the TSB recommends).

If they are actually covering some of these vehicles for 18 years, I want my Mustang to be covered for 18 years too. :) And just how far beyond today are these 18 year old vehicles covered under warranty if they have been out of warranty for a long time?
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Agree it’s not 100% clear as to how it would apply to say a 2005 Mustang or 2000 Lincoln - but I would have thought if the paint/corrosion warranty is up on those examples, then why list it as such in the TSB? If I were to have written the TSB, I would have excluded model years where the paint/corrosion warranty is definitively expired by the terms outlined in those original Owners manuals and warranty guidelines.

Anyone have a 2005 Mustang with corrosion and wants to test the TSB?

:)

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Wait, unless I'm missing something, this TSB only goes up to 2018. Would this imply that an attempt of a fix was input when manufacturing 2019 models, or just that 2019s are too new to experience the corrosion?

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
Wait, unless I'm missing something, this TSB only goes up to 2018. Would this imply that an attempt of a fix was input when manufacturing 2019 models, or just that 2019s are too new to experience the corrosion?
They haven't change anything in 19 model years, why start now.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
They haven't change anything in 19 model years, why start now.
I don't know, that's why I ask. Hypothetically, if I get corrosion and take my 2019 into the dealer, some will turn me away because it stops at 2018. The TSB was just made, so it's not like the 2019s were just released.

Sponsored

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
I don't know, that's why I ask. Hypothetically, if I get corrosion and take my 2019 into the dealer, some will turn me away because it stops at 2018. The TSB was just made, so it's not like the 2019s were just released.
No because they were fixing 2015-2016 before the TSB was updated to include those. Some dealers will give you a hard time, but most will not. Also, it takes a while before galvanic corrosion sets in.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agree it’s not 100% clear as to how it would apply to say a 2005 Mustang or 2000 Lincoln - but I would have thought if the paint/corrosion warranty is up on those examples, then why list it as such in the TSB? If I were to have written the TSB, I would have excluded model years where the paint/corrosion warranty is definitively expired by the terms outlined in those original Owners manuals and warranty guidelines.

Anyone have a 2005 Mustang with corrosion and wants to test the TSB?

:)
I agree @Cobra Jet ... it's not clear at all. It would be interesting to call a dealership and get their interpretation of the TSB. I'd be totally amazed if Ford warrantied any vehicle beyond the current corrosion warranty statement policy which is typically 5 years and unlimited mileage.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's the panel corrosion section out of the 2019 Ford Warranty handbook. You can find all this on Ford's website. Looks the same as previous years, so yes it's puzzling why the 2019s are not included in this new TSB.

Of course the "perforation" statement in the warranty document is over ridden by this new TSB. The panel no longer has to be perforated, just show signs of corrosion due to manufacturing defects (ie, corrosion from the inside out).

2019 Ford Warranty on Panel Corrosion.JPG

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No because they were fixing 2015-2016 before the TSB was updated to include those. Some dealers will give you a hard time, but most will not. Also, it takes a while before galvanic corrosion sets in.
Note the date on this new TSB: 06 February 2019

So still a mystery why they didn't include 2019s ... they've been on the streets for 8+ months. Maybe it takes Ford a year or more to release a TSB. Only took 8 years for them to release a SSM on the BBQ tick ... lol.

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
I went through this with my 15 GT and the paint bubbling on the hood. I got denied the first time after dealer submitted pictures of bubbled paint and white powder,
I got approved after dealer scraped paint bubbles off and removed powder to show erosion and pitting of the aluminum. Mine did not have holes all the way through.
Some of the SSM's and TSB's have specific instructions, steps, and procedures for submitting claim. The are in the other big thread here about hood corrosion. I took a 17 page Ford paint defect warranty review document to the Ford Dealer and we followed it to the letter and I got approved.

Sponsored

Slow6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 401A PP1
I went through this with my 15 GT and the paint bubbling on the hood. I got denied the first time after dealer submitted pictures of bubbled paint and white powder,
I got approved after dealer scraped paint bubbles off and removed powder to show erosion and pitting of the aluminum. Mine did not have holes all the way through.
Some of the SSM's and TSB's have specific instructions, steps, and procedures for submitting claim. The are in the other big thread here about hood corrosion. I took a 17 page Ford paint defect warranty review document to the Ford Dealer and we followed it to the letter and I got approved.
Do you happen to have a copy of the paint defect warranty document? As i read the TSB, I'm confused if this only applies to the hood. Part of the clear/paint that's on the area by the roof of my 2017 (is that considered the a-pillar?) has started peeling. Im trying to get as much backing to get my dealer to fix it via warranty.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As i read the TSB, I'm confused if this only applies to the hood.
The TSB talked about in this thread only covers corrosion issues on aluminum body panels, on all the models that are listed in the TSB.

Paint problems are covered under different Ford documentation.

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
Do you happen to have a copy of the paint defect warranty document? As i read the TSB, I'm confused if this only applies to the hood. Part of the clear/paint that's on the area by the roof of my 2017 (is that considered the a-pillar?) has started peeling. Im trying to get as much backing to get my dealer to fix it via warranty.

See attached, this is their general service bulletin about paint defects.

Attachments

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
The trunk on my Lincoln LS had this issue way back when (sold it around 2010). Wish they had acknowledged it then. :p

RaceRedGT10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red GT 5.0
I am currently dealing with this now. I got my hood "repaired" on my 2015 gt, during warranty (around 2016-2017 if i remember correctly). It started to happen again, this time in multiple locations on the hood. So according to this TSB, should it be covered?
Sponsored