Sponsored

TSB 19-2026: Aluminum Panel Corrosion

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
For those recently denied, get the actual response Ford gave to the dealer, and evaluate it carefull.. mine was actually denied because corrosion could not be seen..we left them bubbled paint intact.....after scraping the bubbles off and exposing the corroded metal, I got a new hood. You are allowed to resubmit after a denial.
Did you scrape it off enough for it to perforate? That's the only way to get it covered under the corrosion warranty language for 2015 models. See post #43 above.
Sponsored

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Did you scrape it off enough for it to perforate? That's the only way to get it covered under the corrosion warranty language for 2015 models. See post #43 above.
Getting perforation from galvanic corrosion is going to take decades. Ford is just begging people to start putting some gallium or mercury on the hood.

No, I'm not advocating people doing that. I'm just saying that perforation from galvanic corrosion isn't going to spread as fast as regular rust on iron or steel.

Jobodizo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm about ready to say F*&$ it and buy a Cervini hood. I talked to my boss who used to run the service department at a Ford dealership in Jersey. He said the "program" was likely a 60/40 split of cost. Somebody posted earlier a Ford hood with a Ford bodyshop would probably be $2k for a hood. That's $800 my cost, which might as well be an aftermarket hood.

RaceRedGT10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red GT 5.0
Lol I'm in the same boat. It's pretty sad that a $40k+ car has this problem, especially within a couple of years from the model year. Also it's a hit or miss, my family has had numerous fords. This is my second mustang. The worst part is that the most expensive ford we own has to deal with this nonsense. And to think I was actually thinking about picking up an f150 to daily, that's not happening anymore.

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
We scraped enough paint and white powder off to show erosion and pitting in the aluminum. I did not have holes eaten all the way through, just pitting. My denial from Ford was worded something like "perforation not seen" on first submission, because we left everything intact and took pictures of the bubbled paint with cracks and white powder oozing out. Once that was removed and powder gently removed(don't gouge or wire brush it out or scratch up the bare aluminum), we resubmitted pictures of the eroded aluminum, and got approved. I know the 15 warranties are more restrictive-mine was submitted with 4 days left on the 3/36 warranty and 18,000 miles on odometer. SO possibly mine was reviewed under the context of the 3/36. I do know the interpretation at the time is that the term "Perforation" was not being interpreted as a hole all the way through, but more as "pitting or erosion." It's all in how the lawyers wrote it and the warranty reviewer at Ford interprets. My Dealer said its hit or miss, sort of depends on the person at Ford reviewing the submission....some are more forgiving than others. Might be worth resubmitting if you are turned down...

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Got some good news. The hood will be replaced.
Good!! It should be, Ford knows it’s an issue regardless if it’s a 2015 or later model S550.

The only way they will get away from the corrosion issue is if they make the skeleton of the hood from metal and the top shell from fiberglass - bonded together by glue. It’s what they did on the 94-95’s and I believe some later models. Or do a complete resin hood.

The problem will be persistent unless they change the metals being used or really work in an operating-room like environment where there cannot be ANY contamination prior to and during the prep/paint process - which will never happen.

Glad it worked out for you.

Any tips or pointers you want to give others who are having a hard time getting warranty authorization?

RaceRedGT10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red GT 5.0
@Cobra Jet @CanadaCalvin88 thank you. I guess my situation was a bit different. I had the issue before where they thought their repair solved the problem. When I spoke to the ford customer service rep, I explained that rust came back in the same location and that the hood should've been replaced instead of repaired. I also reiterated (see my post #44) the bold statement. I stated my case and gave them my story. Brand new car shouldn't being going through this issue.

As far as advice, if you have had ford for many years, utilize it. Shows brand loyalty. I believe my service manager helped too, so if you failed at one dealership, try another. Lastly, if you got denied and still well within the warranty, wait a bit and try again. Be persistent.

Hope it helps.

Mattwood440

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Base, Performance Package

Sponsored

Jobodizo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT
Vehicle Showcase
There is a class action lawsuit currently pending. Trial date currently set for 3/30/20. The plaintiffs allege fraud because aluminum will not perforate due to the aluminum oxide process and Ford admitted they knew that.

http://m.carcomplaints.com/news/2018/ford-bubbling-paint-warranty-lawsuit.shtml

https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/26186062/SIMMONS_et_al_v_FORD_MOTOR_COMPANY
Nice! Where do I sign up?

I ended up buying a Cervini hood for my car for this exact reason. Ford denied my claim without even notifying me of the denial. I called my dealer 2 months after I stopped by essentially saying "what's taking so long to get/paint a hood?" When I called Ford Customer service, they were "gracious" enough to put me in for a program that "might" cover 40% of the cost IF it was found that my 3/36k warranty would've covered it. That's cute, but buying OEM parts and having them painted/fitted at a dealership cost about $300 more WITH THE DISCOUNT than a painted Cervini. Jackasses.

Mattwood440

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice! Where do I sign up?

I ended up buying a Cervini hood for my car for this exact reason. Ford denied my claim without even notifying me of the denial. I called my dealer 2 months after I stopped by essentially saying "what's taking so long to get/paint a hood?" When I called Ford Customer service, they were "gracious" enough to put me in for a program that "might" cover 40% of the cost IF it was found that my 3/36k warranty would've covered it. That's cute, but buying OEM parts and having them painted/fitted at a dealership cost about $300 more WITH THE DISCOUNT than a painted Cervini. Jackasses.
Wish me luck. I'm heading up to the dealer right now. I might have an ace in the hole (yes, I know I have a 15). There are 4 spots of bubbles on my hood. I may or may not have removed a little paint from 2 of them for visual support, which they could then say was due to rock chips. However! I have had vinyl stripes for 4 years and the worst bubbling is under a stripe that has zero evidence of rock chips or any damage whatsoever, meaning that's proof the panel is corroding on its own. We shall see. But anyway, keep those receipts. I once got reimbursed $900 directy from Nissan for leaking injectors on an 85 300ZX Turbo well after I sold the car!

Btw the paint looked split or cracked in a straight line at the leading edge of the hood, not chipped as if from a rock. I'll see if I can grab a pic later.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
There is a class action lawsuit currently pending. Trial date currently set for 3/30/20. The plaintiffs allege fraud because aluminum will not perforate due to the aluminum oxide process and Ford admitted they knew that.

http://m.carcomplaints.com/news/2018/ford-bubbling-paint-warranty-lawsuit.shtml

https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/26186062/SIMMONS_et_al_v_FORD_MOTOR_COMPANY
Probably why Ford changed the aluminum panel corrosion statement in their warranty starting in the 2016 model year to get rid of the perforation language. Still don't know why Ford didn't include the 2015 models.

Last edited:

Mattwood440

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wish me luck. I'm heading up to the dealer right now. I might have an ace in the hole (yes, I know I have a 15). There are 4 spots of bubbles on my hood. I may or may not have removed a little paint from 2 of them for visual support, which they could then say was due to rock chips. However! I have had vinyl stripes for 4 years and the worst bubbling is under a stripe that has zero evidence of rock chips or any damage whatsoever, meaning that's proof the panel is corroding on its own. We shall see. But anyway, keep those receipts. I once got reimbursed $900 directy from Nissan for leaking injectors on an 85 300ZX Turbo well after I sold the car!

Btw the paint looked split or cracked in a straight line at the leading edge of the hood, not chipped as if from a rock. I'll see if I can grab a pic later.
Yeah no. Denied. Not the last they, or we, will be hearing about this, though. I can assure you that.

16Fastback

RMR 8985
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fastback , 2009 Ranger 4x4
Took mine to the dealership where I bought the car no problem Ford will replace then for the next week and a half Ford said that they wont pay the price it would take to paint the hood.On Friday I had to take the car to a Ford own body shop waiting on them to see if the new clam goes through.
Sponsored