msweet

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
Alright, I have bought the equipment. 100mm adjustable rubber connector into 100mm pvc pipe with a step down pipe at the end. Plan on putting either 90mm foam plugs in the middle of the pipe (drill through holes) or wrap the inside with foam insulation. Will test both methods.

Baseline test with a free iPhone app had the cold start at 103dB... (edit: with my phone on the ground about a foot away from the exhaust tip)

Last edited:
OP
OP
msweet

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
The project was a success. For $50 and about half an hours time I created two mufflers that substantially reduce the volume on cold start up. Below is a picture of the first muffler I built.

I'm not convinced of the accuracy of my free iphone app, but Corsa Xtreme cold start was measured at 104dB, this morning with the mufflers it was 94dB. I think in theory 10dB increase is 2x volume, so I have effectively halved the noise level - my ear tells me it's about stock level now. I can tell you that it is now quieter than my mum's stock A45 on cold start.

When I get an extra pair of hands I will take a video with & without.

Flame me if you wish, but I'm happy now that I can keep the Xtreme and not have to worry about upsetting the neighbours in my new apartment block (until my housewarming at least) :headbang:
diy muffler.jpg

Sponsored

Sturty91

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Manual

apsilon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue manual GT in transit
I think in theory 10dB increase is 2x volume, so I have effectively halved the noise level
Isn't it a 10db difference is 10 times the intensity? So 100db is 10x the intensity (which for the average person means loudness) of 90db. I could be wrong, I've never been interested enough to look into it, I just know over 100db is getting pretty loud.

Good job either way :thumbsup:

car

Car
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT550 2018
Pretty clever good neighbour!

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
So you're driving away with that then taking it off away from the neighborhood??

I applaud your desire to be a good neighbor but that looks like ass.

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
"When a problem comes along, you must whip it".

:thumbsup:
IMG_3737.JPG

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
msweet

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
So you're driving away with that then taking it off away from the neighborhood??

I applaud your desire to be a good neighbor but that looks like ass.
No, just waiting for it to warm up in the garage. Doesn't need to look any better given it will never leave the garage

SoulTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Prem. Oxford White
Got my Xtreme system sitting in the basement waiting to go on in spring. If I find I'm in the same trouble I might have to rig up the same thing haha. Awesome fix man! Would love to see a video of cold starts with it on and off to show the difference.

OP
OP
msweet

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Had a few requests for a before/after video, so I've created an album on Flickr. Anyone interested in hearing how loud the corsa is on cold start, take a look. Apologies for the shitty video, the stang connected via Bluetooth and buggered it up haha. Will get another one at some point

https://flickr.com/photos/145261781@N02/sets/72157673240998454

IngoStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Fastback Velocity Blue
Certainly does the job Matt. It has some volume on cold starts, thats for sure. Well done for giving a shit about the neighbours. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
msweet

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
I've had a lot of requests for parts/guide etc on this, so I'll post up everything I bought below. It's pretty self explanatory how it all goes together, and there are pics in the album to show it completed.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskHDXT4m here's the link to photos of it all done

This is the step down that I bought https://www.bunnings.com.au/holman-90-x-75-x-65-x-50-x-40mm-storm-pvc-stepped-adaptor_p4760090

And this is the foam plug https://www.bunnings.com.au/icon-plastics-80mm-downpipe-plug_p4779566

This is the rubber adapter I bought (below), but the opening is too big for the tips. You might want to get creative and come up with another solution. Currently I have some foam insulation inside to protect the tip, but I have to butt something heavy up behind the pipe so it doesn't blow off when I start the car, if that makes sense

https://www.bunnings.com.au/deks-industries-100mm-pvc-to-80-90-pvc-rubber-jenco-joiner_p4730879

Before you go to the hardware store, measure the OD of the tip, so you can compare different fittings.

I did also put some foam insulation in there, but can't find on the website. You should find similar at any hardware store.

Hope that all makes sense

Cheers
Matt
Sponsored