msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
Hello people, looking for opinions.

I love my exhaust, but I'm moving into an apartment in less than 3 weeks time. I will have an underground car space below the building, but anyone who's heard the Corsa Xtreme will know that cold starts can wake small nations.

My idea is a couple of soundproof boxes set up behind the tailpipes, with as much sound deadener as possible (cheaper version of dynamat maybe) - basically contain and muffle the sound. If I can dial the volume down by 30% I will be happy.

Anyone have any experience soundproofing things? Is it going to be a pointless exercise?

Flame suit on.
Sponsored

IngoStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Fastback Velocity Blue
I got a stock exhaust you can have :thumbsup:

You're gonna have a hard time keeping it quiet I think but I wish you luck.

Rather than a flame suit, Go for Kevlar as I think your neighbours will be waiting with pitch forks in no time lol

OP
OP
msweet

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
lol I've got one too, but thanks for the offer. Well it's been on for four months and not a single complaint, which is a good sign. I've got two weekends for creativity, that should be enough haha

IngoStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Fastback Velocity Blue
Maybe just line the walls with foam rubber? Not sure of the cost though or whether Strata would let you go down that road

OP
OP
msweet

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Maybe just line the walls with foam rubber? Not sure of the cost though or whether Strata would let you go down that road
Yeah that's why I was thinking to try and contain it within a box lined with foam rubber. I mean it'll probably cost me $200 to rig it up, but cheaper than switching exhausts

Plus I really don't want to switch exhausts haha

Sponsored

ryosaeba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White EB Black Roof and Stripes
Push it out of the complex before starting the engine! :D

But seriously it's good to see people showing courtesy towards others without being prompted to. :thumbsup:

Egghead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Vehicle Showcase
Hello people, looking for opinions.

I love my exhaust, but I'm moving into an apartment in less than 3 weeks time. I will have an underground car space below the building, but anyone who's heard the Corsa Xtreme will know that cold starts can wake small nations.

My idea is a couple of soundproof boxes set up behind the tailpipes, with as much sound deadener as possible (cheaper version of dynamat maybe) - basically contain and muffle the sound. If I can dial the volume down by 30% I will be happy.

Anyone have any experience soundproofing things? Is it going to be a pointless exercise?

Flame suit on.
Your gunna havta leave her at your mums place , because every time I start my girl I break out laughing as to how loud she is . Good luck mate

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Could you reverse engineer this?
IMG_1190.jpg

OP
OP
msweet

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
That's another theory that could come into play lol

OP
OP
msweet

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Google helped a bit ! lmao

But yeah, when I have to leave early (thankfully its not very often) im pretty sure I wake everyone and everything in the area up..... bit i like it :D
Dammit, I thought that was actually going to be helpful haha

Don't get me wrong, I like the cold starts, but it's gotta be 90dB+ so it's the neighbours I have to worry about.

Edit: that was helpful! Thanks haha, good diagram

Sponsored

MustangDownUnder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Google helped a bit ! lmao

IMG_2915.jpg

But yeah, when I have to leave early (thankfully its not very often) im pretty sure I wake everyone and everything in the area up..... bit i like it :D

Ok Ok jokes aside,,...... I think you are on the right track with the sound deadening/foam of some sort lined box.

I found these pics which could help. They are designed for generators. No doubt with some modification you could build something to suit your needs. I think the key is to maximize the surface area within the box and allow somewhere for the exhaust to exit while increasing the amount of sound deadening material chosen. (something not flammable...... some sound deadening is....)

700.jpg

Generator-Sound-Room11.png

And another one, It looks like, changing the direction of air/exhaust/noise flow a couple times is a key point.
Generator.jpg

Edit: sorry it was getting messy, I was adding to the post, here it is again

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

Kaps

Mustang maniac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback PP Auto
Can try modifying the mufflers removed from someone's GT who has installed AB exhausts. You only need them for cold start. They will be heavy though.
You may also try a local muffler shop, they might be able to build you a functional solution (cheaper or same cost as your budget) or may give you some idea.

OP
OP
msweet

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Can try modifying the mufflers removed from someone's GT who has installed AB exhausts. You only need them for cold start. They will be heavy though.
You may also try a local muffler shop, they might be able to build you a functional solution (cheaper or same cost as your budget) or may give you some idea.
Using the stock muffler somehow could be a good idea (still got it lying around), I've actually got the mufflers off my VE which are even quieter than the stang haha. Could just be an extension of the pipe routing through the quieter muffler, would struggle to get an airtight seal though
Sponsored