Sponsored

Keeping car post warranty... extended warranty a must?

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't buy an extended warranty.

I think most things happen during the warranty period. I am go to go with 3 years; I need no more insurance.

My last Ford Super Duty has gone 16 years, and my oldest Mustang has gone 23 years..
VDCA1.jpg

You just service them as Ford recommends.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
That is 4500 miles a year. You can get 6000 miles a year for $700 more. The point is that this will not be for a primary car. IMO for that purpose is more than enough.
Does not indeed, but if (like you and me) you live in the N/NE , where you store your car for a few months or don't take it out much, I think it's decent... I mean that is 4k miles in pretty much 8 months, 500 miles per month... not too bad.
Considering I've owned the car for 3 years and I have a little over 32,000 miles on it now, it would be 4,000 miles in 5 years.
I can understand the desire to preserve the car, but I bought it to drive. We've had a record month for snow, so I'm itching to get the car out. It was below zero this morning - I'm guessing it will be 2 or 3 weeks before I can drive it again.

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
WOW - those prices have skyrocketed. bought an 8 year, 100K mile $100 deductible plan from Flood Ford for $1390 in March 2018 when my car had about 200 miles on it. That chart shows the same policy now at $5145! I assume it goes up the longer you wait, but I doubt it goes up THAT much.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
WOW - those prices have skyrocketed. bought an 8 year, 100K mile $100 deductible plan from Flood Ford for $1390 in March 2018 when my car had about 200 miles on it. That chart shows the same policy now at $5145! I assume it goes up the longer you wait, but I doubt it goes up THAT much.
They want to make money on the warranty - I'm sure the price increase reflects their perceived risk.

ParsonsWV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2002 C5
Double check that. I was originally quoted a wrapper warranty 10yr/100K mile for $2925. Wrapper warranties cover all but powertrain I believe.
I will give them a call tomorrow and make sure. The way I understood it was that everything was covered or else I wouldn't have bought it.

Sponsored

ParsonsWV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2002 C5
just an update incase anyone was wondering. The warranty I bought at 10/100 is a full warranty covering engine and bumper to bumper.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
It was a screenshot from flood ford. The point is moot. I cant get those prices. My dealer quoted $6326. No way.
Start mileage and age is a big factor in pricing. It's not A flat line price model. I assure you the dealership is making coin on the transaction as well and everything is up for negotiation .If flood is the cheapest you can find and Ford's brand is your preference so be it. There is a 1 or 2 other non Ford vehicle service contracts avail that are about the same $ and cover more and your friendly Ford store will accept at full customer labor and parts rates.....or your trusted personal mechanic will love if they are ASE cert.
No one offers an "extended warranty....it's not a warranty. It's an extended service plan or vehicle service contract or some other marketing name. devil is deep in the details. Ford's plan should offer you some confidence & security because it's backed by Ford......but typically pays at less than customer labor rates. this Might seem like a tomato tamato thing but it's not at all.
Most non factory products out there are junk imo and the C note monthly in the jar is a good bet too. I have seen VSC's pay big repair bills too.

Zcobra1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Ferrari 360, Viper GTS, C6-Z06, 70'Trans Am
The Flood site implies if your car is in service more than 41 months, you can not purchase this warranty extension, so apparently has to be decided upon before then.....

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
You'd be amazed at what your dealership actually sells.....might be Fords ESP or some other company. I'd start with a call to them and research the product info they supply.
Post it here if you
Of all companies.... Zurich offers a strong program. Like Ford there are different levels of coverage. And deduct options. Haggle ...read the fine print...

I've seen claims for a bad lifter ...you'd think well ...one bit the dust they should replace the other 31 while they are in there right?.....not.

Sponsored

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Flood site implies if your car is in service more than 41 months, you can not purchase this warranty extension, so apparently has to be decided upon before then.....
That is very likely true....the "premium" "top shelf" "bumper to bumper" ..coverage is typically only avail if your car is still young and within factory warranty. Protects them from adverse selection....you bought the contract cuz you know something is already wrong. If this were the case and factory warranty still intact you'd use the factory warranty to fix it or the repair facility could file the claim to the factory.
If your gonna buy an ESP Or VSC do before the 3/36
Ideally the earlier you do the lower the cost to purchase. Pricing is banded from example 0-3k 3k-8k 12k-18k miles...etc...Get the picture?
haggle

OP
OP
torque124

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Ya think????

And there's no perception of risk contemplated by Ford. They know exactly what the risk is with the FPC 5.2. Which is why the extended warranty cost has been jacked up . What more proof does anyone need?
Not sure where you're getting at... Ford is obliged to back the 5 years powertrain warranty no matter what. If one decides to cover everything else like brakes and steering etc. by extending the 3 years bumper to bumper factory warranty, that's something else. The cost has not been jacked up, it is just cheaper to buy it when vehicle is newer, it has always been from what I have seen.
And my opinion still is that extended warranties are the best way to throw your money away; would be nice to see how many people have actually used them.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Ya think????

And there's no perception of risk contemplated by Ford. They know exactly what the risk is with the FPC 5.2. Which is why the extended warranty cost has been jacked up . What more proof does anyone need?
Or.... Ford knows some customers THINK the risk is high enough to pay those prices and total profit is higher even with fewer takers.

Hard to really know why Ford prices things like they do. Explain why silver paint for PP wheels was $50+ per wheel more than black in the US (where black is massively more popular) but the same in other markets, or why Ford charged extra for Oxford White in some markets, or $1k+ for a coral grill for 2015-17, etc, etc.. God and Ford work in mysterious ways.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
was that 10yr 100k mile warranty a ford esp pla
just an update incase anyone was wondering. The warranty I bought at 10/100 is a full warranty covering engine and bumper to bumper.
was it a ford warranty? I only see up to 8 years offered online...

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Doesn't tracking the car or running the car at a drag strip void the warranty?
Sponsored