OP

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
Agree on the first part. Going after 8s "street car" is a pretty tall order haha. Once i achieve mid or high 9s, im done. My car has already gone 144 mph and that is plenty damn fast.

However, i think low 60 times will contribute to trans or driveline faliures. Coming out of the hole is critical to a great ET, but it is very hard on the driveline.

And a new Gen2 shortblock is only $1700 so... there's that.

Not sure what a gen3 short block is going for.
Gen 3 shortblocks are $1800
Sponsored

OP
OP

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
actually they are still new when it comes to tuning, the trans tuning, and the di, di really isn't a big issue, but the trans is.

it's really a matter of 1st, making the power, then 2nd, getting the trans dialed in

first off, stock internals mean nothing as far as that goes when it comes to power......when we lost our 2015 engine, we never hurt a piston or rod, we actually pushed through the cylinder walls pistons and rods were perfect

we went to a sleeved motor for longevity out of the gate, and dropped compression almost a full point. that actually hurt power ,vs helping, its for longevity, but does nothing for power other than make less. a stock engine actually has a power advantage over our "built" motor. until it goes, which eventually it will.

as far as a "shop" doing it. it's not really a shop doing it, it's lund doing it with the trans tuning. lets be real, anyone can make power, it's air and fuel. and anyone can throw a bunch of boost at something. it's all trans tuning, just like the 6r80

lund has our tune dialed in pretty good, and we went 9.1's in Georgia in november and was on our way to the 8's when we lost opg's in the engine.

another thing is d/a. when you get to run in 100 ft of da vs 1000-3000 ft, makes a difference and when you get to work on the trans tuning on the car for 12 months a year vs 7..

running 8's is 95% in the trans, and it's getting everything to come together at the track with the tune, and getting it to be consistent. and lund is at the forefront there

So, the only thing to "think a little" about is using lund for your tune... the stock clutches are going to burn up at that power level, we have been into several of them, they aren't designed for 1000-1200 wheel horsepower.

Even with no slip, we rebuilt our trans with stock clutches before georgia, and the f clutch is completely heated up and the steels are burned from only 7 passes at that power level.

bottom line...want to go fast...have lund do your tune
Lots of good info here and very true. Unless i travel, my home track would never allow my car to turn an 8 (even a 9 is proving difficult lol) because the DA is typically 2500 ft or greater for the large majority of the year.

It's definitely easy to make power. It's much harder to learn the car, drive it to it's full potential at that power level, and have the trans tuned properly to allow all the stars to align.

OP
OP

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
actually they are still new when it comes to tuning, the trans tuning, and the di, di really isn't a big issue, but the trans is.

it's really a matter of 1st, making the power, then 2nd, getting the trans dialed in

first off, stock internals mean nothing as far as that goes when it comes to power......when we lost our 2015 engine, we never hurt a piston or rod, we actually pushed through the cylinder walls pistons and rods were perfect

we went to a sleeved motor for longevity out of the gate, and dropped compression almost a full point. that actually hurt power ,vs helping, its for longevity, but does nothing for power other than make less. a stock engine actually has a power advantage over our "built" motor. until it goes, which eventually it will.

as far as a "shop" doing it. it's not really a shop doing it, it's lund doing it with the trans tuning. lets be real, anyone can make power, it's air and fuel. and anyone can throw a bunch of boost at something. it's all trans tuning, just like the 6r80

lund has our tune dialed in pretty good, and we went 9.1's in Georgia in november and was on our way to the 8's when we lost opg's in the engine.

another thing is d/a. when you get to run in 100 ft of da vs 1000-3000 ft, makes a difference and when you get to work on the trans tuning on the car for 12 months a year vs 7..

running 8's is 95% in the trans, and it's getting everything to come together at the track with the tune, and getting it to be consistent. and lund is at the forefront there

So, the only thing to "think a little" about is using lund for your tune... the stock clutches are going to burn up at that power level, we have been into several of them, they aren't designed for 1000-1200 wheel horsepower.

Even with no slip, we rebuilt our trans with stock clutches before georgia, and the f clutch is completely heated up and the steels are burned from only 7 passes at that power level.

bottom line...want to go fast...have lund do your tune
My statement of the shop doing is that they, for the most part, have the money incase something does happen.

Oh I understand the clutches are not made for the power level these cars are able to push. As I've dealt with the problem myself.
My only thing is why is it one car is able to do it yet none have been able to replicate these results?

Also for the DA statement, the car that ran the 8.6 was in the middle of Texas summer. The DA was nowhere near 100

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
That's impressive. I suspect the turbo and boost controller helps a lot though in terms of ramping up boost right?
Yes sir, Usually launching at 7psi

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Meh they aren't new, been out since end of 2017. There's been plenty of shops that have tried and plenty of them have enough money. Yet no one has been able to replicate what another shop did on stock internals for both the trans and motor.
Just makes you kind of think a little...
Even Lund the one that tuned both those cars is telling customers they can't do it without building the trans..
how long was the 6r80 out before they went 8s with it? i dont think one hit 8s in 2012

OP
OP

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
how long was the 6r80 out before they went 8s with it? i dont think one hit 8s in 2012
Yeah and look at how slow the cars were in general back in 2012. 10's were considered pretty fast. But todays standard you can run 10's with bolt ons.
I understand your comparison but not apples to apples.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
Rjames, Ali Rasa went 8.8's Feb 1, 2019 with his '18 Whippled car and Lund tuning. I'm not sure on the trans and such but here's what was posted.
51135401_2029679790447783_4345121067929436160_o.jpg
Yes with mcloed clutches, circle d converter, and weight reduction. Car moved thats for sure.

My question is more so about why no one else can do it with stock internals as far as the trans goes?
The whole point of this post is to open up peoples eyes just a little bit.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Yeah and look at how slow the cars were in general back in 2012. 10's were considered pretty fast. But todays standard you can run 10's with bolt ons.
I understand your comparison but not apples to apples.
youre right its not apples to apples. youre trying to compare a trans mission with like 7 years of R&D to one with like 1.5 years

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Yes with mcloed clutches, circle d converter, and weight reduction. Car moved thats for sure.

My question is more so about why no one else can do it with stock internals as far as the trans goes?
The whole point of this post is to open up peoples eyes just a little bit.
Totally agree. Aint happening with stock trans with any repeatability. Run an 8, blow up trans, install new factory trans, run another 8, rinse repeat.
Sponsored