Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2021 401A Security pckg 20x9 Chrome Wheel Upgrade
Was reading about all the PP1 digital dash users missing oil temp display here
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/missing-engine-oil-temp-gauge-on-2019.114940/page-2

And it reminded me of a similar problem. Owners manual points out diff temp should be in the menu and it isn't ...however unlike the PP1 digital owners the oil temp is right there easy to find.

Is it that the base GT auto with 3.15 gears has no sensor in the rear diff or is it a similar problem with it just being missing from the menu like the pp1 digital is missing oil temp?

I assume I can just keep an eye on my trans temp gauge for a rough guess as to how hard the diffs being pushed?
Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
My understanding only the PP have diff temp sensors..

OP
OP
Allentown

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
My understanding only the PP have diff temp sensors..

Do the torsen units heat up more than a standard LSD? I wondered if that was a factor.

Also the 3.15s don't heat up like the 3.55s and 3.73 since they are always running several hundred fewer RPMs??

It's odd though as the clutch packs should be more heat sensitive and this have a greater need for a sensor and limp mode....though they are much cheaper to replace .

Last edited:

NorthernBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black '17 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Was reading about all the PP1 digital dash users missing oil temp display here
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/missing-engine-oil-temp-gauge-on-2019.114940/page-2

And it reminded me of a similar problem. Owners manual points out diff temp should be in the menu and it isn't ...however unlike the PP1 digital owners the oil temp is right there easy to find.

Is it that the base GT auto with 3.15 gears has no sensor in the rear diff or is it a similar problem with it just being missing from the menu like the pp1 digital is missing oil temp?

I assume I can just keep an eye on my trans temp gauge for a rough guess as to how hard the diffs being pushed?
My PP1 digital dash isn't missing any of the gauges so I'm not sure what your answer is. Maybe that's just how it is on non PP1-PP2 cars

OP
OP
Allentown

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
My PP1 digital dash isn't missing any of the gauges so I'm not sure what your answer is. Maybe that's just how it is on non PP1-PP2 cars
One has nothing to do a the other , it was only the fact that seeing the thread about the missing oil temp reminded me that I had been meaning to ask about the missing rear diff read out.

Sponsored

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Just as an additional data point, my May-built 2018, non-PP, with optional 3.55 ratio also does not have diff temp in the display. I guess it's for PP only cars (as suggested by other posters above).

OP
OP
Allentown

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
I am guessing the trans oil heats up in tandem with the rear diff anyway so if you watch the trans temp you can guesstimate when the rear diff is getting hot. I would also guesstimate that on an extremely curvey location the rear diff would tap out just bit sooner than the trans.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Do the torsen units heat up more than a standard LSD? I wondered if that was a factor.
They all heat up if you track them, which is what the PP with a torsen is aimed at.

OP
OP
Allentown

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
They all heat up if you track them, which is what the PP with a torsen is aimed at.
Understood. It is a more complex mechanism to improve traction over the LSD lok (as long as neither rear wheel gets in the air from hitting the bumpers with very tight springs) and I reasoned that increased complexity might also generate additional heat in the process of improving traction. Rather than having kinetic energy lost to potential bits of wheel spin the wheels are more planted. The law of conservation of energy suggests that energy has to go SOMEWHERE and therefore...heat energy could be getting amplified.

I am no engineer though and would assume that heat energy would be divided between the tires, diff and other drive train components.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Most of the heat in a diff is produced by the ring and pinion. Those a gears use a hypoid mesh that has a large contact patch and a sliding action of the gear surfaces. This creates a lot of heat requiring special lubricants. The high torque loads seen while racing or tracking a car will only exacerbate the situation.

The amount of heat contributed by any LSD is small relatively speaking. I would like to see an side by side test, but I would think a clutch style LSD would run hotter that an torsen due to the clutch plates sliding against each other. They wear out for a reason.
Sponsored