Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
So I’ve got one more spot for a long gun in my gun safe, and I’m thinking about building an AR before the Powers That Be either eliminate their existence or hobble them altogether…

I’ll preface with the fact I’ve got a penchant for the unusual weapon, not to mention I tend to like having multiple guns that utilize the same ammunition. My trusty hunting rifle is a Ruger M77, chambered for .243Win, which has proven itself time and time again hunting mule deer in Montana. Therefore, I’m thinking about putting together a .243 AR10, with the majority of the intended usage being target shooting since I no longer hunt like I once did.

I’ve read a bit on the topic on various forums, and the general consensus is that such a beast likes a longer barrel (as I would imagine, 20” being the minimum). Of course, the first thing that pops up is why not just go to a .308? Meh, too common, not to mention titles have been won with .243 ARs. And the .308 flies in the face of my unusual gun and common ammo fetishes. Too easy also.

I’m considering Aero Precision for the lower, but haven’t narrowed down the rest of the parts yet beyond a ton of website bookmarks. The million dollar question is: has anyone here built such an animal? A few friends have the usual .223s and my brother has a nice .308, but I’m always down for something different and looking for first-hand experience.
Sponsored

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2019 Roushcharged F150, 2016 GT350R, 2013 Boss 302LS, 2009 GT/CS, 2000 Cobra R, 1995 Cobra R
Vehicle Showcase
The cool thing about the AR platform is all it takes is another upper to have a completely different gun. Look at the 6.5 calibers for flat and accurate. 6.5 creedmore, 6.5 Grendel etc

OP
OP
Strokerswild

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Yeah, pondered the 6.5 variants too, but they violate the multi-gun, same-ammo mandate....

The modularity is huge. So many options can be a bad thing for the pocketbook. :wink:

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2019 Roushcharged F150, 2016 GT350R, 2013 Boss 302LS, 2009 GT/CS, 2000 Cobra R, 1995 Cobra R
Vehicle Showcase
That's the magic with the AR, you can remain faithful to your significant other and still date some super models. All it takes is another upper.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
.308 and .243 share the same case head, correct? Sounds like you can build a .308 upper with a .243 barrel and be good to go. Experiment with buffer weights and definitely get an adjustable gas block..

Sponsored

OP
OP
Strokerswild

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Yes, a .243 is basically a necked down .308 cartridge. That case size dictates going to an AR10.

Ninjavitis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 18 GLA250 AWD, 05 Vette, 12 Hyundai Accent
I would recommend building literally everything yourself lower wise and then find the right upper for your mandate. The build is very enjoyable especially if you like working on cars, basically the same thing but you can do it in winter. We did a very basic 300 blackout and it was a lot of fun but in retrospect having a goal before hand i think it would have ended up better. Also, don't forget one of these or equivalent https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003341857/dpms-accurizing-wedge-ar-15 It is a very simple piece that improves EVERYTHING at the end of your build. Then just buy uppers for whatever you plan to do next.

OP
OP
Strokerswild

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
FYI, in a nutshell, the only thing that differs between a .243 and .308 AR is the barrel due to both cartridges having the same parent case with generally similar dimensions (outside of bullet diameter, of course). All else would be shared across the two calibers, had some good talks with a couple of parts manufacturers.

Found a nice 22" .243 barrel, going to gather the parts to build a nice, long distance tack driver. :like:

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
FYI, in a nutshell, the only thing that differs between a .243 and .308 AR is the barrel due to both cartridges having the same parent case with generally similar dimensions (outside of bullet diameter, of course). All else would be shared across the two calibers, had some good talks with a couple of parts manufacturers.

Found a nice 22" .243 barrel, going to gather the parts to build a nice, long distance tack driver. :like:

Different bullet masses will necessitate different buffers and/or different gas systems. Highly recommend an adjustable gas block.

OP
OP
Strokerswild

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Different bullet masses will necessitate different buffers and/or different gas systems. Highly recommend an adjustable gas block.
Correct, on the list.

Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Didn't PSA just announce a .243 AR10 at the Shot Show?

My biggest fear with an oddball caliber ARs is proper feeding with OTS magazines and maintaining capacity. A lot of the designed for AR calibers either require special magazines, or only work with 5-10 rounds in standard (20/30 rd) ones.

OP
OP
Strokerswild

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I hadn't heard that PSA announced that, although it wouldn't surprise me. Remington and Ruger have built them for a while (I don't think the take rate is high), and once somebody starts building AR parts for some oddball round it seems like many others jump on the wagon.

.243 rounds fit .308 mags perfectly (I have no need for anything more than 10 rounders), it will be interesting to see how it works out. Others have done it with success though.

Impatiently waiting for Aero's lowers to be back in stock....

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Remember that 7.62x39, 6.8 SPC, 6.5 Grendel, & 300 BLK all were supposed to work with standard mags. Yet they all now have dedicated mags made for them. Because they only worked so-so with standard mags, mostly when only a handful of rounds were loaded.

ParsonsWV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2002 C5
I hadn't heard that PSA announced that, although it wouldn't surprise me. Remington and Ruger have built them for a while (I don't think the take rate is high), and once somebody starts building AR parts for some oddball round it seems like many others jump on the wagon.

.243 rounds fit .308 mags perfectly (I have no need for anything more than 10 rounders), it will be interesting to see how it works out. Others have done it with success though.

Impatiently waiting for Aero's lowers to be back in stock....
If you are not set on aero precision there are some other companies to look at. Black rain, seekins, etc. Seekins in my go to. I like their quality and their lowers have a slightly unique look as well as being billet.

OP
OP
Strokerswild

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Too late, I've got most of the major parts in hand, minus the lower which appears to be stuck on a truck somewhere in the latest blizzard. :like: Seekins makes some really nice stuff though too.

My only real hurdle is an adjustable gas block that will fit inside my Aero hand guard. It's looking like my only option might be a JP Rifles unit. Or put on a shorter hand guard that doesn't hide everything....
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.