Unique all-wheel-drive hybrid V8 powertrain revealed in Ford patent

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2021 401A Security pckg 20x9 Chrome Wheel Upgrade
The V8 drives the rear wheels through a traditional transmission, while each of the electric motors is attached to a front wheel through a reduction gear and half-shaft, creating a hybrid all-wheel-drive system. It’s described as offering more efficient packaging than other hybrid layouts.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/ford-patent-application-awd-hybrid-v8/

ford-hybrid-patent-application-promo.jpg

The system itself isn't wildly revolutionary -- it starts with a longitudinally mounted internal combustion engine powering a vehicle's rear wheels, with a pair of electric motors and reduction gearboxes mounted on the front, effectively granting the vehicle electrified all-wheel drive.

Of course, a V8 isn't mandatory -- it will apparently work with any longitudinally mounted internal combustion engine -- but the fact that the patent application sketches involve a V8 means we might be looking at the hybrid system for the upcoming Mustang hybrid, and perhaps the F-150 hybrid, too.

AutoGuide notes that Ford once promised "V8 power and even more low-end torque" in the Mustang Hybrid, but it's possible that first part of the quote might refer to a literal V8 and not just a pony-for-pony recreation of a V8's output with a smaller motor coupled to the hybrid system. This could be backed up by Ford's own ad, which may have shown a V8 engine as it teased the Mustang hybrid for the first time, but all Ford has said thus far is to stay tuned for future updates.

V8s aren't just important to muscle car aficionados, either. Ford also has a hybrid F-150 on the horizon, and like the Mustang, the pickup also sports a longitudinally mounted gas engine. Thus, this system could potentially end up in both hybrids, which are believed to debut in 2020. The timing seems right, but we won't know for sure until Ford decides to spill some of the beans.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
The V8 drives the rear wheels through a traditional transmission, while each of the electric motors is attached to a front wheel through a reduction gear and half-shaft, creating a hybrid all-wheel-drive system. It’s described as offering more efficient packaging than other hybrid layouts.

Should go in the GT500 first and beat the C8. Unfortunately the Corvette C8 is already seen on the streets of Detroit. We could get 1100 horsepower out of the C8 hybrid!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Allentown

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2021 401A Security pckg 20x9 Chrome Wheel Upgrade
Should go in the GT500 first and beat the C8. Unfortunately the Corvette C8 is already seen on the streets of Detroit. We could get 1100 horsepower out of the C8 hybrid!
Remember though. Technically the vet is one segment up from mustang and the GT500 only fills in as a half step between the segments

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
What if the 350 got this? Think about a 600hp+ 500tq+ AWD system that also fills in the torque in the lower RPMs (something the 350 suffers from). I imagine it would be excellent on the track and still be able to fit in under the 500.

Sponsored

MX Raptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From point "A" to point "B"
After looking at it for 10 minutes I'm inclined to believe this new technology when released could be easily made available to the after market for S550's. It looks like they are using a new casting for the oil pan and attaching the electric motors to a bracket that all bolts together into the oil pan. There is also a tube that looks like its going from the motors into the flywheel / flex plate area of the transmission, which i'm led to believe will power to motors like Faraday flashlights (batteryless) which work with magnet passing through a coil quickly to provide power to the capacitor. My theory would be there will be magnets mounted to the flywheel / flex plate and when they flywheel spins it will energize a coil powering the electric motors. Just my take on what I see.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
If the GT500 got an AWD system it could easily be a less than 3-second car considering things like the new M5 and it’s power.

morgande

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Ingot Silver | 2013 Ford F150
It’s gonna add weight. The days of Mustang at or near 3500 seems to be fading more and more. 4500 is the new 3800

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
It’s gonna add weight. The days of Mustang at or near 3500 seems to be fading more and more. 4500 is the new 3800
Lots of extra weight time for a all aluminum Mustang

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Everything just keeps getting heavier. I can deal with the weight if they give me GTR performance. I'm also tech over purist. So I don't follow the Mustang has to be rear drive only.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
After looking at it for 10 minutes I'm inclined to believe this new technology when released could be easily made available to the after market for S550's. It looks like they are using a new casting for the oil pan and attaching the electric motors to a bracket that all bolts together into the oil pan. There is also a tube that looks like its going from the motors into the flywheel / flex plate area of the transmission, which i'm led to believe will power to motors like Faraday flashlights (batteryless) which work with magnet passing through a coil quickly to provide power to the capacitor. My theory would be there will be magnets mounted to the flywheel / flex plate and when they flywheel spins it will energize a coil powering the electric motors. Just my take on what I see.
After looking at the diagram I can see what you are saying about it being mounted to the oil pan... (crazy idea if you ask me) But you are forgetting that you would likely need an entirely new sub-frame and front spindles and possibly even chassis changes in order to clear the half shafts. A better idea would have been to either package them with the front spindles and eliminate the half shafts entirely or to mount them directly to the sub-frame.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
Everything just keeps getting heavier. I can deal with the weight if they give me GTR performance. I'm also tech over purist. So I don't follow the Mustang has to be rear drive only.
The new 911 (992) is 3500 RWD-3700 AWD.