Sponsored

Am I the only who is disappointed?

JiminVirginia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black Shelby GT350. No stripes.
I think it's a great rendering of the concept. Depending on how Ford prices it, they'll sell a lot of them, and GT500 sales could eat into GT350 and GTPP2 sales. I'm sure Ford has thought this through.
Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Even tho it's not a drag car, but more focused for the track and it's still getting 10s in the 130s, it's still not good enough in the quarter? maybe the next one with the electric motor assist will get it faster in the quarter

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
Not a big fan of the front end styling, esp. the vertical ridges on the sides. Gives it a squared off look instead of the smoothly flowing styling I'm used to. I guess I could get used to it. One thing I am tired of is the stacked up splitter styling. No thank you.

I do think it is going to be an excellent all-round performer.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Yes in dec 2017. I just looked back :)

We had a gentlemen’s agreement and I said the car won’t go faster than 10.5@135. You said several tenths quicker, in the 10.2 area and 9s with slicks.

I’m still sticking to my guns, and in fact up it 0.1 to no better than 10.6. Still incredibly fast. Truly.
yes, but if you look farther down the thread I said it depends on HP.
and yes, i still think it will post time slips of 10.5s and in perfect DAs and track there could be a sub 10.5 someday, stock.
Our gentlemens bet is still on, I'm not backing out ;)

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
I think its even better than expected. My only complaints are the wing (prefer gt350) and no white for 2020. This is the reason I held off on the gt350. Ford nailed it.

As for performance, It should do better than my old car with a similar setup: E92 M3 DCT, RWD, 3700lbs, 4.0L, 8psi rotrex C38-92 supercharged,

made 550hp to the tires 2 hours before going to the track and clicking off 10.5s all day 132/133mph, even with crap 60ft. Had a lineloc for burnouts, but the launch control strategies at the time were not that aggressive, nor tunable. As well as still on a 17" hoosier.

With the ford backing of aftermarket, this car is going to RIP bone stock, and be a supercar killer even lightly modded.

I am 100% In for trying to get one at a reasonable price
gt500.jpg

Sponsored

Aliaszero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
everyone that is disappointed in the numbers of this car needs to take a chill pill. Anyone that's been in the car game for a long time knows that chasing numbers is stupid because every time you get faster, so does everyone else. Someone will always build a faster car. On top of that there are very few of us that can approach the limits of these cars so shut your mouth unless you are a test car driver for a manufacturer or have a proven racing background because you're not running magazine times anyways. If you're disappointed in the looks then so be it and i'm sorry for you. Not everyone can like everything and I understand. This car will put up a fight against cars that are way out of its price range if you're a dedicated racer and if that 700 horsepower is even usable on the street then this car will be a beast there too. I'd love to have one that's for sure.

TMully06

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R, 2017 F80 M3, 2020 Lincoln Navigator Black Label
To me, at this point... I am not sure how anyone can be "disappointed" with the numbers (we don't know more today than we did 2 weeks ago!). Ford is playing it close to the vest and squeezing as much out as they can (which is what we all want) - they didn't release #'s for the GT350 (a new engine) upon car reveal... not sure why we had the expectation they would here (9 months before anyone in the public owns one).

If anything... we can be assured that they are serious about this car being a world class performer because of the election to go with a DCT (that was always a rumor... but people on the "inside" said very recently that it was a 10 speed). I have an F80 M3 with a DCT... once you have traction... the new GT500 is going to be scary fast regardless if the final HP is 725 or 790.

I actually like the look... I am not sure I like it as much as the GT350... but I am sure it will grow on me.

At the end of the day... we have a GT350 based car... which we were told will pull the highest lateral G's of any Mustang to date (higher than the GT350R) but with 200+ more HP.... yes weight is a concern... but I don't think it will be as heavy as the leaked info based on the clear efforts made to shed weight.

It should have been here two years ago... is my only complaint... but I am very glad the are building it regardless as we have a short window left to accumulate some amazing performance vehicles before we are all picked up for work in electric ride sharing toasters.

ModularKid21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Strange to hear complaining about carry over design when the entire front end is different than any of the Mustangs released so far. Are we seriously whining about the headlights being re-used?

Also, if they have managed to combine the handling of the GT350 with the power of a Hellcat, I think the car will be fine. It doesn't matter if it is as fast as a ZL1 or not, as long as it is fun to drive. That is one thing this generation of Mustang has done very well IMO. It has captured the nostalgic, carefree, and fun feelings while still being a great modern car overall.

The Camaro definitely has the sportiness, but it also has a number of compromises in everyday livability.

The Challenger has the retro vibe nailed and the car is very livable, but it is also quite large and not nearly as nimble as the Mustang.

I love my GT350 and wouldn't replace it with a GT500 (especially one without a stick shift), but I am very excited to see if Ford was able to combine some of the great aspects of the GT350 with an even more insane power band.

As far as the Vette goes, it is a great car as well, but has a very different vibe than a Mustang. It's tough to go wrong with any of these vehicles, as long as you are honest with yourself about what you are looking for and choose accordingly.

-T
PREACH

Aliaszero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Strange to hear complaining about carry over design when the entire front end is different than any of the Mustangs released so far. Are we seriously whining about the headlights being re-used?

Also, if they have managed to combine the handling of the GT350 with the power of a Hellcat, I think the car will be fine. It doesn't matter if it is as fast as a ZL1 or not, as long as it is fun to drive. That is one thing this generation of Mustang has done very well IMO. It has captured the nostalgic, carefree, and fun feelings while still being a great modern car overall.

The Camaro definitely has the sportiness, but it also has a number of compromises in everyday livability.

The Challenger has the retro vibe nailed and the car is very livable, but it is also quite large and not nearly as nimble as the Mustang.

I love my GT350 and wouldn't replace it with a GT500 (especially one without a stick shift), but I am very excited to see if Ford was able to combine some of the great aspects of the GT350 with an even more insane power band.

As far as the Vette goes, it is a great car as well, but has a very different vibe than a Mustang. It's tough to go wrong with any of these vehicles, as long as you are honest with yourself about what you are looking for and choose accordingly.

-T
THIS

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
yes, but if you look farther down the thread I said it depends on HP.
and yes, i still think it will post time slips of 10.5s and in perfect DAs and track there could be a sub 10.5 someday, stock.
Our gentlemens bet is still on, I'm not backing out ;)
Don’t be crazy now. You’re gunning for 10.2!

Either way, if it does 10.8, it’s Incredibly fast. I mean it’s like only a car length ahead of a GT3RS. That’s amazing!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Braski

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
Agree!

What it do in the 1320? Please share.....
Help you? Another hobby possibly in the future?
I've tried others but fast cars seem to get me into the least trouble.

And you have no clue
Obviously!

Now that the GT500 has been unveiled from a looks and styling standpoint I can understand whether people either like the styling/looks of the new GT500 or they don't and I get that.

It is also easy to accept and understand whether individuals like or dislike the various options available for the car. I personally really like the Carbon-Fiber Track Pack Option along with some pretty cool new colors for this outstanding Mustang. If I ordered a new GT500 I would be all over that C-F Track Pack Option and certainly would like to commend Ford on installing a CF drive shaft on this bad ass Mustang as they did back in 2013 and 2014 GT500's.

What really makes me chuckle is when certain individuals start making comparisons between this newly released GT500 and other Pony Cars such as the Camaro and the Challenger from a performance standpoint without having any facts or figures to back up their claims.

In the case of the Demon and Red Eye there is no question that these are one dimensional Pony Cars and would suggest that the real and only competitor from a Pony Car standpoint is going to be the ZL1 1LE therefore I look forward to some upcoming comparisons as to how they do head to head.

To dismiss the new 2020 GT500 from an overall performance standpoint at this point without having any detailed specifications, facts, figures or confirmed performance numbers certainly indicates a great deal of immaturity and also someone that lives in a very different world.

:sunglasses:
I hate to brake it to you but we're all a bit immature to be spending anytime at all talking about this. Also my world is the same as yours.

"It's nothing special"

OP has a GT that runs 11.80s.

Isn't it ironic
What 1/4 mile time must my car run for my post to be valid?

morgande

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Ingot Silver | 2013 Ford F150
...The GT350R was said to be amazing and it won PCOTY, best driver's car, etc. So you want to say the largest displacement FPC V8 ever made is stale now after 3-4 years. Maybe it is to you, but for many people it isn't.
The R did win Road and Track PCOTY, and it came in runners up in BDC. I can't remember what car beat out the R, it was either a McLaren or a Lambo i think. It SHOULD have won BDC based on cost to own. The R was not obtainable for most people even at MSRP, and with ADM it was even MORE out of reach for the common man. But that's still chump change compared to the cost of that exotic that did win. Was the Exotic that much better than the R to justify the cost? Probably not.

As for the general thoughts on the GT500... I can somewhat understand why some people have issues. I would not call the entire GT500 a disappointment per se, but their are areas in the announcement that did disappoint. Allow me to elaborate:

The advertised 700+ hp numbers.
I for one am disappointed with the numbers. Granted final numbers have yet to be released, but I can get into the 700 hp range with a 18-19 Gen 3 Coyote and still be in warranty. And even the Gen 2 Coyote can get those numbers safely. Ford Brass said Venom kills Demons. He's on the hook for that. So either the GT500 has an amazing power to weight ratio, and/or they sandbag the numbers by considerable margin. The first gen ZL1 came out with 550 HP, and ford pooed all over GM with a GT500 that made 662. GT500 has always had the most available HP of the big 3, and this time it appears to be behind both GM and Chrysler. So, for me at least, this was a disappointment.

The lack of a manual
Getting a DCT in a Mustang is cool. I have no issues with this...as an option. But the lack of a manual I think is a disappointment. There was always a thing about the Mustang. Especially the special edition cars. If you wanted the best of what was available in a Mustang you had to roll your own gears. GT500 came out it was manual only. Boss...Manual only. GT350 manual only. Bullitt...manual only. Ford has taken that and done a complete 180. You can't GET a manual. It robs that aspect of the special Mustangs. Again...I'm not knocking the DCT. But I wish Ford would have gone with a manual + eDiff OR a DCT + eDiff instead. I suspect this oversight will be addressed in 2021 car if enough of the community balks at it.

Transmission Control Dial
My only issue with this is not that it exist beyond the lack of manual. But its execution was parts bin economies of scale vs bespoke special. Car has a 5.2L engine with a blower on top. Can't get that anywhere else in the lineup. Car has a DCT and some aero bits of the GT4 car...again can't get that anywhere. Big ole 20" CF wheels. 20x11 or bigger. Huge. Big bad breaks. Awesome. Control dial parts bin special? Fail. They could have executed that better. Want a dial fine...but it should be something special. Like something made from a solid piece of aluminum or stainless steel with leather trim and Cobra logo on top.

Do these issues mean the car as a whole is a disappointment? No...not at all. At a minimum we have to wait and see what the final numbers look like and how the initial reviews come in. I suspect MSRP to exceed $75k which is well outside my budget. ADM will push it even further out my league. But you have to wait a while longer before you can give a final verdict. At least thats my two cents.

OP
OP
Braski

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The R did win Road and Track PCOTY, and it came in runners up in BDC. I can't remember what car beat out the R, it was either a McLaren or a Lambo i think. It SHOULD have won BDC based on cost to own. The R was not obtainable for most people even at MSRP, and with ADM it was even MORE out of reach for the common man. But that's still chump change compared to the cost of that exotic that did win. Was the Exotic that much better than the R to justify the cost? Probably not.

As for the general thoughts on the GT500... I can somewhat understand why some people have issues. I would not call the entire GT500 a disappointment per se, but their are areas in the announcement that did disappoint. Allow me to elaborate:

The advertised 700+ hp numbers.
I for one am disappointed with the numbers. Granted final numbers have yet to be released, but I can get into the 700 hp range with a 18-19 Gen 3 Coyote and still be in warranty. And even the Gen 2 Coyote can get those numbers safely. Ford Brass said Venom kills Demons. He's on the hook for that. So either the GT500 has an amazing power to weight ratio, and/or they sandbag the numbers by considerable margin. The first gen ZL1 came out with 550 HP, and ford pooed all over GM with a GT500 that made 662. GT500 has always had the most available HP of the big 3, and this time it appears to be behind both GM and Chrysler. So, for me at least, this was a disappointment.

The lack of a manual
Getting a DCT in a Mustang is cool. I have no issues with this...as an option. But the lack of a manual I think is a disappointment. There was always a thing about the Mustang. Especially the special edition cars. If you wanted the best of what was available in a Mustang you had to roll your own gears. GT500 came out it was manual only. Boss...Manual only. GT350 manual only. Bullitt...manual only. Ford has taken that and done a complete 180. You can't GET a manual. It robs that aspect of the special Mustangs. Again...I'm not knocking the DCT. But I wish Ford would have gone with a manual + eDiff OR a DCT + eDiff instead. I suspect this oversight will be addressed in 2021 car if enough of the community balks at it.

Transmission Control Dial
My only issue with this is not that it exist beyond the lack of manual. But its execution was parts bin economies of scale vs bespoke special. Car has a 5.2L engine with a blower on top. Can't get that anywhere else in the lineup. Car has a DCT and some aero bits of the GT4 car...again can't get that anywhere. Big ole 20" CF wheels. 20x11 or bigger. Huge. Big bad breaks. Awesome. Control dial parts bin special? Fail. They could have executed that better. Want a dial fine...but it should be something special. Like something made from a solid piece of aluminum or stainless steel with leather trim and Cobra logo on top.

Do these issues mean the car as a whole is a disappointment? No...not at all. At a minimum we have to wait and see what the final numbers look like and how the initial reviews come in. I suspect MSRP to exceed $75k which is well outside my budget. ADM will push it even further out my league. But you have to wait a while longer before you can give a final verdict. At least thats my two cents.
Agree! The final price, weight and hp are yet to be seen. From the responses we heard from ford executives and engineers they seem to lost their cockiness that they had a year ago. Loosgeing that tells me there concerned about weight, hp and price.

OP
OP
Braski

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Overall it's still going to be awesome car but to all you guys that think I'm just a hater, here's my top 5 list of things that I wished were offered. Obviously others in this post have expressed some similar disappointments.

1: A lighter version, the s550 has always been a pig! Yes, my car included.

2: Option of manual transmission. I do respect the decision with the current one even though it's a deal breaker for my wife.

3: 600 hp na motor for track performance to top the current gt 350. Any thing above that would be a hand full for sure on the track or street.

OR

4. 800+ hp TURBO charged EcoBoost beast! Manual or Auto that would just be crazy either way!! Auto for 9 second 1/4 mile run or even a manual to satisfy us guys that just can't handle the truth!

5. Look wise? I wish they would of kept the GT 350 front end, especially the front fenders. The current front end just doesn't jive with me and the side view looks like a regular gt. I know looks are subjective but that's my view. On another note, keeping the old school headlights will keep my old girl looking current!

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
My only problem with most of the disappointment comments is.
A. It won’t be faster than this or that? We have no idea how fast it is? We’ll see next year. And.....
B. The same people that are complaining it won’t be faster than brand X. Are also crying about the not having a manual. Which would make the car half a second slower. Than the DCT car. If you want to be fast. You don’t get the manual.
Looks are subjective. I love the looks. I get others that don’t.
Sponsored