Sponsored

Am I the only who is disappointed?

Batmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X
of course everything is subjective concerning design, but i am sure that it‘s not a question of doubts from Ford returning back to the old frontlight design, moreover technical reasons
But anyway, no clear lineup in every model range neither for the design nor the AT/MT.
Sponsored

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
I will wait for price and availability. If they pump a bunch of them out for $75K then great. Assuming ADM puts it North of $100K, most of them go to some collector and rarely see the light of day then disappointed.

Kimbo510

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Multiple engineers have stated in videos that the 15-17 front lights were used due to the use of the carbon composite light weight front structure carried over from the GT350. They did not develop a new front headlight carbon composite piece for the GT500. I'll take weight reduction over new headlights. This is a mustang and Ford after all. Cost is paramount. You can't have all these options (manual, new composite front, etc) without a higher price point.

If this car comes in under 4000lbs I think it will be a hit.

The dealer in Texas I purchased my GT350 from has verbally told me the ADM will be 10k for this. My wild guess is 75k MSRP, 10k for track pack and 10k for ADM for year 1. That's 95k for a Mustang. I really don't see it going up from there in terms of ADM as at 100k your options really open up and folks can cross shop better vehicles. Of course there will be those that overpay but on the margin I don't think it will be a trend. The GT350 IMO was underpriced and hence the higher ADM's...especially for the R. I don't see that happening this time but time will tell.

R

OP
OP
Braski

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
It's a huge disappointment to me too because it looks exactly like what it should...

...a car that SHOULD have came out in 2017. A DCT and HP bump over the ZL1, which is entering its 3rd model year, doesn't make for much excitement.

That being said, the deal breaker for me is we are well into the second year of the 2018+ refresh, yet here we are with the flagship Mustang sporting heavy/bulky looking boy-racer body work on 4 year old styling. It looks a GT350 with a body kit you would find on Need For Speed. Let's be honest here -- if any other company did that, we would all be saying how shitty that was... This is likely a $70k+ car, and the fact they couldn't work with the current styling, and differentiate it more from their 4 year old $60k+ car that is based on the 15-17 front end is pathetic IMO.
Exactly, this car is late to the party! If your going to be late you better make a grand entrance!!

OP
OP
Braski

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
Have to agree 100%. Waited (how long) for the unveiling and this is what they give us? The only big deal is the DCT which many will refuse to buy. (me included). Total disappointment.
No manual is a deal breaker for me also. I'm still trying to figure out the front end, new car old headlights? The GT 350 nailed it and this is like a face lift gone bad!

Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
My guess why the GT500 wasn't released sooner would be there was no reason to release it sooner. The GT350 is so great that it has worked fine as a halo car. They had the GT500 but didn't need it. Mustang has been selling great - it's leading the competition. And the GT350R is still commanding ADMs in many cases.

That's why Camaro keeps changing, releasing, modding - they are trying to boost sales. But it isn't working due to the major flaws they all have in visibility, etc.

And the GT350R is almost as quick as the ZL1 - even down 125 HP. It's hard to imagine the GT500 won't absolutely crush the ZL1.
I've been saying for a while that a big reason that the GT500 was so late is because the hype for the GT350 never really died. It wasn't necessarily that the car was that great... it was slower than the ZL1, and nowhere close to the ZL1 1LE... but the hype was alive and it was a good looking car, so the masses flocked to it.

But what I'm saying, is time catches up. If they want to wait until GT350 sales start dwindling to release the car, that's fine. But don't let it sit stale... give it the updated front end, give it an obscene amount of power, give it a rear mounted transaxle... just do something to show that you weren't just sitting in your hands the whole time letting the competition catch up (Similar to what Chevy did with the ZL1 1LE... they went all out to make sure it would be a force to be reckoned with rather than something that can be beat with a simple power bump)

SStormtrooPer

Dark Side
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
Single Turbo GenII Coyote Swapped '92 SSP
Lambo boys feel the same.....
Guess which is the 14 and which is the 19
And the stang still doesn't have scissor doors either or a door pocket for my light saber ...how dare they bring it market
I didn't say they shouldn't bring it to market... I also wasn't talking about the Aventador, it's life-cycle that is nearing its end, or how its differentiation is between sub-models/trims because it is a one generation car. Once the Aventador is done, there won't be another one. HUGE difference.

BUT, even if it was a valid comparison, neither of those are a '19(or '17/18). The top one is a 13-16 LP 700-4 Roadster, and the bottom is an 11-16 LP 700-4.

Love the boy racer vibe! Much of what I see is money spent on the name and tacked on styling. But it works for the street racing crowd/scene. It’s a pity they can’t market the thing properly in a real ricer crowd with an old fart thumbing his nose at them with this thing.
Except it is a $70k+ track car, not a boy-racer for the illegal street racing scene. And why would it get marketed to the "ricers"? The majority of them build their shit boxes as cheap as possible and brag about beating up on cars like this.

I understand your point of view, but the refresh was for the masses who desire change to keep the model fresh in their minds. This car was designed for performance, so to that end it will use the carbon fiber composite bones from the GT350 front end. The refreshed front end does not bolt on to that according to Ford. There's an interview with an engineer somewhere out there explaining this. Sure they could have redeveloped it, but.....money.
I would agree on using tech developed for a 2015 if it was trickling down to a cheaper less performance oriented trim such as GT350 to '18 GT. But IMO on a $70k+ flagship we have been talking about for 5yrs, it's a compromise. I also thought it was silly when GM did it on the ZL1, and that only overlapped the 13/14 refresh. To each their own though.

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
After reading all the literature I am now 100% certain Ford delayed the 500... 'just to see'...

I can see them right at those meetings 2-3 yrs ago talking about pulling the trigger, then the stock prices started its dive around then and the rest is history...

I'm glad the project is still seeing the light of the day and the competition convinced Ford to push it out even with only 2-3 yrs really left on THIS iteration of S550 ... but still. I',m divided. I have faith it will run well but what people can't articulate too well but certainly can feel is this mood of just, unconfident... Ford just seems not sure how it will go.. "maybe we'll bring out a manual trans option maybe not, you'll see" Same story as "maybe they'll be something better than a 350... you'll see" if I remember correctly...

It reminds me of last year and when P-cars decided to bring out a GT car without a manual transmission... the previous 99x owners weren't too worried and the market values showed it.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Except it is a $70k+ track car, not a boy-racer for the illegal street racing scene. And why would it get marketed to the "ricers"? The majority of them build their shit boxes as cheap as possible and brag about beating up on cars like this.

No, it’s targeted at old farts like me that play with the ricers. Seeing this car on some back road is just so wrong! :giggle: But on a street on a Saturday night it is just about perfect! This just seemed targeted at a guy like me this time. Like I said earlier, this is an “in your face” street racer.

BTW: I love racing the kids in their souped up 4 bangers. Good times there...

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
No, it’s targeted at old farts like me that play with the ricers. Seeing this car on some back road is just so wrong! :giggle: But on a street on a Saturday night it is just about perfect! This just seemed targeted at a guy like me this time. Like I said earlier, this is an “in your face” street racer.

BTW: I love racing the kids in their souped up 4 bangers. Good times there...

I'm an old fart. With what you term a souped up 4 banger ricer. I don't think you would have "Good times there..." if you ran into me.

crx (9).jpg

Sponsored

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Looks are personal but personally don't like the big front maw, GT350 looks much better. Don't doubt its functionality and feel like that applies to the whole car which makes it look like and is a performance car but mainly only a performance car (unlike the GT350), not something a lot of people are going to want to drive around town or even cross country. Probably a great track car and will attract a lot of looks as any race car on the street would (a big negative cruising down the interstate). But from a sales number standpoint, while there is a clear demographic for it, just wonder how big a seller it will be compared to the GT350 which in my opinion has a more understated rather than in your face performance appearance and continues to get lots of compliments.

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
It has 700+hp. It will never put all the power to the ground. However it should still be very fast.

About the missing performance numbers, that is what I am saying, we don't know just how fast/slow it will be.
Yea, you would think if they were going to copy the thirteen year old Nissan GTR front end they would have at least gone the full route and made it all wheel drive. Something like the Torque Vectoring all Wheel Drive the Focus RS has.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
Yea, you would think if they were going to copy the thirteen year old Nissan GTR front end they would have at least gone the full route and made it all wheel drive. Something like the Torque Vectoring all Wheel Drive the Focus RS has.
The front end does not look like a GTR.

AWD would be great for the 0-60 but would add quite a bit of weight.

Also everyone hated the 2018 front end when it came out, but in person it looks much better. (still not as good as the 15-17)

Once people see the 2020 GT500 in person almost everyone will love/like it.

I think this may be the best looking mustang since 1970.
Sponsored