Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt premium, 99 Roush, 2002 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
  • Banned
Yes I said I de tuned my car. In a world where everybody is in the pissing contest of wanting more and more power I went the other way. I have been modding mustangs since they started making hipo cars back in the early 80's. 200 then 300 then 4 and 500hp. Street raced in Mexico for years. Now I have a 16 premium and like most S550 owners I was after the coveted 10 sec run so I started modding. I got the car to around Demon territory and the 10 sec run. I found out very quickly though that you can have too much power for the street. I do run drag radials all the time and even with these hooking on the street is near impossible. So after getting hole shotted by a few turds with hundreds less in horsepower I pulled some power. Other than bragging rights power that can't be put to the street is useless. You will never be able to realize the potential of your car on the street. If you are at the track every weekend different story. There are vids of a tuned NA 18 walking a 19 ZR1 in the 1/8 mile time after time. That is just crazy. A person near me just traded his demon on a GT350R as it is much more streetable. If I want to run at the track again I can in about 1/2 hour get my horses back. Now before all start saying that I could mod the car to get better traction, I know that, been there done that I do not want to get back on that hamster wheel.
Atco.jpg
Sponsored

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
Which begs the question, what is the right level of power for the street?

By the way I've been running 10 sec vehicles on the street for over 15 years. Have 1 soon to be 2 in my garage right now. I have "deturned" from high 9s to high 10s for many of the same reasons.

I can see both sides.

OP
OP
16mach1

16mach1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt premium, 99 Roush, 2002 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
  • Banned
Don't get me wrong with additional mods and a lot of focus ( starting in 2nd, feathering the cluth ect...) you can run hi power on the street, but in the scenario of light to light be prepared to be embarrassed by the snot nose kid in a WRX with AWD. Now if you have a little space to let "your horses run wild" you'll have the last laugh. The 99 in my signature is also a 10 sec car but it is built top to bottom front to back and hooks pretty good but as I said I am not looking to get into that anymore. I just want to turn my cooled seat on put George Jones in ( showing my age ) drop it in D and kick the ass of all foreign crap I can as well as an occasional camaro or vette. Stomp, hook and go is how you win on the street. Again totally different on a prepared track. All about what you want your car to do.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Unless you are blown and have tires that can hook, stop light to stop light you will sometimes lose to cars with heavy bottom torque. These engines draw their power at the top end and need room to gallop. A short little jaunt from one light to the next is not enough time for the Mustang to enter its stride. Those same cars beating your NA Mustang GT in a five second race through town will lose on the highway/interstate as the Mustang progresses through its power band and blows past them. Same goes for the track.

However, I hate to be that guy because I'm guilty of it myself, but you shouldn't be street racing.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Unless you are blown and have tires that can hook, stop light to stop light you will sometimes lose to cars with heavy bottom torque. These engines draw their power at the top end and need room to gallop. A short little jaunt from one light to the next is not enough time for the Mustang to enter its stride. Those same cars beating your NA Mustang GT in a five second race through town will lose on the highway/interstate as the Mustang progresses through its power band and blows past them. Same goes for the track.

However, I hate to be that guy because I'm guilty of it myself, but you shouldn't be street racing.
Oh hush lol. I think there's a clear difference between being some irresponsible punk and just giving it a little extra gas at the stop light to display a bit of dominance (or lack there of if you don't hook and lose to a civic... sad days). The former doesn't know when they're beaten, goes 90+ in a 45 around traffic, weaves around without a turn single signal, and will inevitably cause an accident. The latter backs off after a few seconds if the conditions aren't safe. Reminds me of when I watched a mini van take a frighteningly sharp turn to switch lanes, going 80 on the express way. My heart skipped a beat. I think most people just fail to comprehend that a car going 30 will not handle the same as a car going 60+. Anyways, interesting read. I was actually just having this conversation with a couple of coworkers the other day. One brought up how he's seen the s550 make a lot of power with very little extra work. We then went into how much extra power is really necessary on the street when you can't get the grip to actually put the power to the pavement. I opted for the pp1 over the pp2 because, as much as I like the track, the closest one is over 2 hours away from me, and a drag strip is at least 45 min away. My car will be spending 90% of its life on the road.

Sponsored

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
540 @ the rear wheel yielded 10.82@131 best for my 14 on a 275 DR. The17 I currently am working on makes 625 on the same dyno the 14 made 540 on. Still working on some drive ability issues, but like you short of a few passes to see what it will do next year for a bragging rite I am considering detuning to 56lb injectors, a twin 60mm TB, and a closed air intake to get better drive ability on the streets. The 6R80 on a kick down at 60pmh is blood chilling. 540RWHP on warm pavement with 555 G2 305's the 14 would wiggle slightly and go. Add 85 HP and the kick down is ludicrous on the very same tire. I found anything wanting to play with me around town when I had the 14 was pretty much at a disadvantage. The best run I had was against a Honda Civic that was clearly setup to run when I saw the roll bar in the car as he went by and egged me on. He shocked me as much as I shocked him. We had a nice talk at the next exit. Impressive car he had. So to detune to 550 or so after seeing what it does all out next spring will be a likely occurrence.........if I don't find a nice stick shift 15-17 already supercharged to trade it for between now and then. After two auto's I am missing a gear shift knob in my hand.

Last edited:

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Oh hush lol. I think there's a clear difference between being some irresponsible punk and just giving it a little extra gas at the stop light to display a bit of dominance (or lack there of if you don't hook and lose to a civic... sad days). The former doesn't know when they're beaten, goes 90+ in a 45 around traffic, weaves around without a turn single signal, and will inevitably cause an accident. The latter backs off after a few seconds if the conditions aren't safe. Reminds me of when I watched a mini van take a frighteningly sharp turn to switch lanes, going 80 on the express way. My heart skipped a beat. I think most people just fail to comprehend that a car going 30 will not handle the same as a car going 60+. Anyways, interesting read. I was actually just having this conversation with a couple of coworkers the other day. One brought up how he's seen the s550 make a lot of power with very little extra work. We then went into how much extra power is really necessary on the street when you can't get the grip to actually put the power to the pavement. I opted for the pp1 over the pp2 because, as much as I like the track, the closest one is over 2 hours away from me, and a drag strip is at least 45 min away. My car will be spending 90% of its life on the road.
Street racing is irresponsible because it involves uncontrolled conditions, ie. traffic, pedestrians, animals, unseen road hazards, etc. and you put other people at risk. I get the temptation when you drive a car like a Mustang and everyone wants to race you at every stoplight, but take it to the track where you can control for those variables and race in a safe environment where for the most part you are putting no one at risk but yourself. I'm not trying to be a killjoy, but street racing is illegal and dangerous. We have racetracks to scratch our wild itch.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
540 @ the rear wheel yielded 10.82@161 best for my 14 on a 275 DR. The17 I currently am working on makes 625 on the same dyno the 14 made 540 on. Still working on some drive ability issues, but like you short of a few passes to see what it will do next year for a bragging rite I am considering detuning to 56lb injectors, a twin 60mm TB, and a closed air intake to get better drive ability on the streets. The 6R80 on a kick down at 60pmh is blood chilling. 540RWHP on warm pavement with 555 G2 305's the 14 would wiggle slightly and go. Add 85 HP and the kick down is ludicrous on the very same tire. I found anything wanting to play with me around town when I had the 14 was pretty much at a disadvantage. The best run I had was against a Honda Civic that was clearly setup to run when I saw the roll bar in the car as he went by and egged me on. He shocked me as much as I shocked him. We had a nice talk at the next exit. Impressive car he had. So to detune to 550 or so after seeing what it does all out next spring will be a likely occurrence.........if I don't find a nice stick shift 15-17 already supercharged to trade it for between now and then. After two auto's I am missing a gear shift knob in my hand.
161 mph? I'd figure around 127 to 130 mph

Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I get it. Have an 11 second tune only car and it is a blast on the street. Especially in this cooler air it can fry the tires through end of 3rd. More power? Could be pretty debatable. A D1-X Procharger could be nice upgrade that is streetable below 4k rpms. ;).

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2021 401A Security pckg 20x9 Chrome Wheel Upgrade
And that is why i run 3.15 gears with 305 tires and steeda stop the hop parts etc..... Power on the street is not the same as track performance. It is also why i run street suspension instead of track.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I honestly feel the level of power that I'm at is enough to have a very fast street car, but one that you can use without having to be on questionable tires. I'm at 423 whp. I still have to modulate and respect the hell out of it, but I can actually get into it often.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Have a 2.3 so I don't have such problems, would not NOS solve the problem of both hole shots and added HP? Never see anyone talk about it so I guess not doable on newer cars
Sponsored