Sponsored

Can a dealer tell you had your car tuned if you put the stock tune back?

DrDing.Muscle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GT PP Competition Orange
If someone was to tune a 2015 GT but before going back to the dealer flashed the stock tune back into the car could the dealer tell that you had a tune at one point?
Sponsored

Zemedici

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP
topic comes up once every few months.

Without going into detail, yes.

However, depends on the dealer whether its an 'issue' or not. :)

OP
OP

DrDing.Muscle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
topic comes up once every few months.

Without going into detail, yes.

However, depends on the dealer whether its an 'issue' or not. :)
Would it be possible to go more into detail? How are they able to tell? I saw in another thread something about a tune meter being tripped?

Zemedici

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP
Would it be possible to go more into detail? How are they able to tell? I saw in another thread something about a tune meter being tripped?
they can tell by using a computer how many times the computer's been reflashed, from what my shop foreman's told me. So if the car's been flashed say twice (once initially and once thereafter), but there's nothing in the vehicle's OASIS report to state it had warranty/repair work done that required a reflash, it would then be determined that the car's been tuned, know what I mean?

OP
OP

DrDing.Muscle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
they can tell by using a computer how many times the computer's been reflashed, from what my shop foreman's told me. So if the car's been flashed say twice (once initially and once thereafter), but there's nothing in the vehicle's OASIS report to state it had warranty/repair work done that required a reflash, it would then be determined that the car's been tuned, know what I mean?
Hmm, yes, that is what I kinda guessed. The way the other thread read made it sound like it was fancier than that. I wonder if another ECU could be purchased to do the tuning to then if you need to take it to the dealer just throw the original ECU back in it.

Sponsored

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
Hmm, yes, that is what I kinda guessed. The way the other thread read made it sound like it was fancier than that. I wonder if another ECU could be purchased to do the tuning to then if you need to take it to the dealer just throw the original ECU back in it.
Can't be done since the body module and the PATS system all need to comminucate with the ECU. Something only a dealer could do. These cars are not like the old Fox body cars. Times have changed.
Will they automatically look to see if a car has been flashed or will they only look if something gives them a reason to?
They will if the repair is a major one.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I was told this is not the case by a ford tech. They can tell how many times the PCM has been powered down but not how many times it's been flashed. If your ever asked about a tune. Answer I have no tune but I did have battery trouble a few times.;)

OP
OP

DrDing.Muscle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
Can't be done since the body module and the PATS system all need to comminucate with the ECU. Something only a dealer could do. These cars are not like the old Fox body cars. Times have changed.

They will if the repair is a major one.
Agreed they have but there are always people out there hacking and breaking ECU code and figuring out ways to relink the PATS and other security systems to new ECUs. If it hasn't been done yet maybe soon.

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I traded in my 2011 for my 2015 my 2011 was tuned. I put the car back to stock and never told the dealer what I had done. A week after the transaction they called me and asked how long it had been tuned and what exactly I had done to it. Trust me they can tell if it's been tuned.

Sponsored

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agreed they have but there are always people out there hacking and breaking ECU code and figuring out ways to relink the PATS and other security systems to new ECUs. If it hasn't been done yet maybe soon.
Yea I don't think so.

I would stop trying to find ways to screw Ford. If you're worried about warranty then don't tune it. Plain and simple.

Zemedici

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP
I was told this is not the case by a ford tech. They can tell how many times the PCM has been powered down but not how many times it's been flashed. If your ever asked about a tune. Answer I have no tune but I did have battery trouble a few times.;)

That's what I'm saying, cycling/power down/whatever you wanna refer to it as. :cheers:

And any dealership worth a fuck isn't going to believe the story about a battery hahahaha its easy to spot bullshit, especially with brand new cars. I'd rather just be honest from the get go. Dealers get paid to do warranty work.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
That's what I'm saying, cycling/power down/whatever you wanna refer to it as. :cheers:

And any dealership worth a fuck isn't going to believe the story about a battery hahahaha its easy to spot bullshit, especially with brand new cars. I'd rather just be honest from the get go. Dealers get paid to do warranty work.
it is possible, people leave lights on and do all sorts of stupid shit. If the car is tuned only and no other mods they have zero choice to believe it. If it has an intake and exhaust yeah, its obvious.

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
It's very easy to see how many miles since the last flash. You can even look it up from the sct.

Zemedici

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP
it is possible, people leave lights on and do all sorts of stupid shit. If the car is tuned only and no other mods they have zero choice to believe it. If it has an intake and exhaust yeah, its obvious.

It is possible, yes. :)
Sponsored