Sponsored

Leak!! Area behind passenger flooded with water

MasterCylinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(sold)17 GT
They called me yesterday and said there was a spot on the passenger side windshield that wasn't sealed correctly. Hence the water. Some kind of metal piece was ordered to fix this? I was half asleep but thats what it sounded like they ordered to fix it.
Sponsored

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
I've owned a number of Fords and my experience is that Ford's robots still can't apply seam sealer correctly. My 03 Mustang used to get water in the foot wells behind the driver and passenger seat. Dealer was useless. I finally pulled the seats and carpet and ran a hose over the car, a vert BTW, and I saw the water was going through the frame rails, as is normal, but exiting into the rear floor pans before reaching the rear drain holes because seam sealer was missing... A little RTV Black and it's been fine ever since. Had a similar problem with an 88 T-Bird..

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I had the same issue back in January and took them 3 months to find out how the water got in the A-pillar... I drove around for 3 months with the carpet stripped and most of the interior. Eventually we found that a sticker came loose on the outside of the A-pillar. Between the door and A-pillar there are 3 stickers that they put on before paint. Use a flash light to spot it, and to fix it the door needs to be taken off.
Are these 3 stickers located on the body side of the door opening below the A-pillar near the front of the door area? Any way to get a photo of the location?

Notes

Moustang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK S550 EB/AT/PP/EU
Are these 3 stickers located on the body side of the door opening below the A-pillar near the front of the door area? Any way to get a photo of the location?
Hi I'm sorry for the late reply, I used to get an email on replies but this seemed to have stopped for some reason.

Here are some pic's of the stickers..

Cheers!

A pillar Stickers - Fix (1).jpg
A pillar Stickers - Fix (2).jpg

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
^^^ @Notes - thanks for the photes. Ford should have used rubber plugs in those holes, not Mickey Mouse stickers. How are stickers going to hold up 10 years down the road? :crazy:

Sponsored

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
Mine has rubber grommets for the wiring, yours must be missing or they never added it.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine has rubber grommets for the wiring, yours must be missing or they never added it.
Those "stickers" (see photos in Post #19) are just covering bare holes, the door wiring goes through a different hole. If the sticker lifts, water can get into the front foot wells.

Notes

Moustang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK S550 EB/AT/PP/EU
^^^ @Notes - thanks for the photes. Ford should have used rubber plugs in those holes, not Mickey Mouse stickers. How are stickers going to hold up 10 years down the road? :crazy:
What was worse for me is that it took 3 months to figure this out and repair, now 6 months later the smell of standing water is finally gone.
Plus this is not covered under extended warranty in case you have bought extended warranty, so buyer be aware!

The rubbers are attached to the door and just pop in again during assembly of the door, no worries here.

Those "stickers" (see photos in Post #19) are just covering bare holes, the door wiring goes through a different hole. If the sticker lifts, water can get into the front foot wells.
Not only in the foot wells, but all the way to the rear of the A-pillar, that's why most of the water came out when coming to a stop or coming down from a bridge.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here are some pic's of the stickers..

Cheers!

A pillar Stickers - Fix (1).jpg
I took a look with a flashlight inside the front area of the door area where those hole stickers are located in your photo. My 2015 (built Dec 2014) seems to have a rubber plug in the location where you show the peeled back loose sticker. However, I did see a sticker at the bottom most location.

@Notes, when was your car built?

Notes

Moustang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK S550 EB/AT/PP/EU
I took a look with a flashlight inside the front area of the door area where those hole stickers are located in your photo. My 2015 (built Dec 2014) seems to have a rubber plug in the location where you show the peeled back loose sticker. However, I did see a sticker at the bottom most location.

@Notes, when was your car built?
I have 3 stickers on both sides, like you see in the 2nd picture. The middle one was replaced by then with a sticker of another type of Ford as you can see its a bit smaller.

Anyway, my car was built in May 2015

Sponsored
OP
OP

fguan992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
An update to this thread.....the issue still persists. Took it in the 2nd time and dealership replaced the rear trunk seal but found out that they drilled a hole in the floor pan! Looks like their hiding the issue instead of finding the source of the leak..
IMG_20181223_1.jpg
IMG_20181222_105353.jpg

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
An update to this thread.....the issue still persists. Took it in the 2nd time and dealership replaced the rear trunk seal but found out that they drilled a hole in the floor pan! Looks like their hiding the issue instead of finding the source of the leak..
IMG_20181223_1.jpg
IMG_20181222_105353.jpg
Ok - let’s review... your water leak is on the passenger side and coming into the trunk.

and they drilled a hole to fix the leak... brilliant.

Tell him to fold down the rear seats, place a Tech in the back of the car, lying down with the upper potion of the Tech’s body/head angled into the closed trunk, using a very bright light. Then tell the Service Rep to get a hose and run water full blast over the entire rear of the car - starting at top of rear glass, both L & R 1/4 glass, over entire trunk to body gaps and then lastly pointed directly at, over and into each L & R taillight.... the Tech on the inside should be able to find the leak....

Report their findings...

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2018 GT right hand carpets, front and rear, are dripping wet. It's in at the dealer now. I'll keep you informed if and when they find the leak as it might help others in the same situation.
When I first discovered the carpets I was fed-up with the car and thought I would sell. But a Canadian windbag in another thread commented that my Mustang was undoubtedly a complete duffer. Just the sort of talk to instill a sense of pride in, and loyalty to, my leaky white pony.
I can't wait to have her back now, with all thoughts of childish battery cars banished, thank God.
Have the dealership check those "hole stickers" that are shown in Post #19.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I’m jumping back in to this thread! Some useful info here. Mine is going back to Ford Monday. Although i’m free of wet carpets, i’m still seeing condensation effects similar to what i saw a year ago when i hsd this leak in the a pillar area - now that the temp is dropping, it becomes more obvious. I’ll report back when i know more.
Sponsored