Sponsored

Tickford S550 - 536 hp/466 lb/ft....from a tune!

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Some high grade shit :) Quit smoking that wizard smoke from the back of high times magazine!

It won't rev to 7500 if it hits the top speed limiter @ 7000rpm in 5th gear.
1:1 in the 2018 GT is 4th, not 5th.
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Send the car to a dyno near me and I'll pay for three 93 octane stock tune 2018 Mustangs to run against it same day, same dyno, three pulls each car for science. This tune will not be 83 hp more powerful.

Stang8psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT
It never fails...if a member posts a HP/TQ number then tons of disbelievers jump in and say "What's it run in the 1/4" because "only trap speeds show true gains"

Where are all those people? LOL
I will be that guy! If this car is a true 536rwhp it would run 10sec slips and trap well north of 125+ mph, I do not believe this and I am sure am not alone when we call BS with just a tune alone with no other mods on a stock car. Where are the world records they have set or run making claims of tune only gaining that much power ??? I'll wait along with the world.

King_V

2015 Mustang GT Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais, 1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT, 2016 Toyota Prius Two Eco
That's BS, no one has ever had such massive gains with just a tune in N/A engine. You can fill the tank with unicorn pee and inject the gorilla semen - it's just not possible.
Hey, hey HEY!! Do NOT question the magic of unicorn pee and gorilla semen!!

On a more serious note, this *is* intriguing. Does it not only do as advertised, but do so while still complying with emissions, etc?

I've never done a tune, so I don't know if they typically harm emissions or not, but maybe that's why the could do it and Ford didn't?

Just speculating, as I am really pretty amazed by this and wonder how they pulled it off.

King_V

2015 Mustang GT Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais, 1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT, 2016 Toyota Prius Two Eco
97 RON is 93 AKI in the USA.
98 RON is 94 AKI

So it's higher octane than the USA's highest grade fuel. I wouldn't be surprised if it was V-Power Nitro, too, making it potentially closer to 95 AKI. With a very high octane fuel and variable valve timing? Yeah, I can absolutely believe that 80hp is available.
I know Sunoco in the US back in the 1990s at least offered 94 octane ("Ultra 94") unleaded at the pump. They also, oddly, offered 86 octane.

Maybe I'm outdated - is AKI the same as what they labeled (RON+MON)/2?

Not sure if they still have 94 octane available or not.

Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
I know Sunoco in the US back in the 1990s at least offered 94 octane ("Ultra 94") unleaded at the pump. They also, oddly, offered 86 octane.

Maybe I'm outdated - is AKI the same as what they labeled (RON+MON)/2?

Not sure if they still have 94 octane available or not.
We still have 94 up in Canada. Petro Canada bought Sunoco a few years back up here and carry the 94.

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Socratic method people.

Which situation is more likely? That a world class racing firm with substantial R&D resources is committing fraud to sell a few tunes, or that they figured something out that much smaller outfits couldn't?

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Socratic method people.

Which situation is more likely? That a world class racing firm with substantial R&D resources is committing fraud to sell a few tunes, or that they figured something out that much smaller outfits couldn't?
Not fraud, somethings just misleading about it. They are presenting it as making these power gains on premium fuel with no bolt ons. Im sure Socrates knew when something was to good to be true it usually isn't. You rarely even see these kinds of gains on stock turbo tunes without bolt ons as well. There's nothing wrong with being a skeptic until they can fully back up their claims.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
That is 56 more ft. lbs. or torque, which is harder to come by than raising peak HP #s. I dunno...

tmhutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Cobra
So, maybe they did discover some new tuning trick but it does occur to me that most dyno cells utilize their own induction and exhaust systems. These higher flowing pieces could also throw the stock tune off so we get a situation where there's a lot of potential HP sitting on the table but it's being negated by the stock tune. Dial everything in to the improved airflow and you get big numbers.

Whatever. The gains are odd. Something not seen since the dark ages of horsepower in the late 70's.

Sponsored

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
So, maybe they did discover some new tuning trick but it does occur to me that most dyno cells utilize their own induction and exhaust systems. These higher flowing pieces could also throw the stock tune off so we get a situation where there's a lot of potential HP sitting on the table but it's being negated by the stock tune. Dial everything in to the improved airflow and you get big numbers.

Whatever. The gains are odd. Something not seen since the dark ages of horsepower in the late 70's.
That explanation is quite plausible. I'm guessing they mounted directly to the factory throttle body and headers which would be the equivalent of running a ram air intake (no filter) and straight pipes. Perhaps worth 25hp give or take?

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
Tickford likely has far more tuning resources available than the popular "big three" here in the US, such as an OEM level of access to the ECU.

Why can some calibrators tune for flex-fuel and others cant? Access and know how..

tmhutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Cobra
That explanation is quite plausible. I'm guessing they mounted directly to the factory throttle body and headers which would be the equivalent of running a ram air intake (no filter) and straight pipes. Perhaps worth 25hp give or take?
I guess 25 would be on the high side. One thing that is very telling on the dyno chart is how much HP they gained at 8300 VS the 7000 and under range. That indicates a massive increase in how much the intake cam is being retarded near the top of the curve. in fact the whole curve appears to be a massive manipulation of the cam timing as we see some nice gains down low where they've advanced the cam timing quite a bit and then the curve narrow as the engine transitions from benefiting from the the increased dynamic compression but beginning to starve for air. Then as the cam phases out the advance you see the curve widen back out as the engine makes more power while increasing the retard on the intake cam. I'm sure they're working the exhaust timing as well.

Part of their tune might be some modification to the variable cam timing that takes it outside its normal range of operation in some way that the factory is not comfortable backing with a warranty. This is not to say it's dangerous. I'm sure it's not. The factory has to be conservative in many ways for many reasons.

MrWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT
Part of their tune might be some modification to the variable cam timing that takes it outside its normal range of operation in some way that the factory is not comfortable backing with a warranty. This is not to say it's dangerous. I'm sure it's not. The factory has to be conservative in many ways for many reasons.
Interestingly, Tickfords tune also comes with a 3 year driveline warranty

Last edited:

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
For everyone trying to say maybe it’s the potential 1-2 extra octane AKI, just stop. E85 has been used to tune by others, and it’s equivalent to roughly 110-116 AKI.

That said, I’d like to believe this as much as anyone, but it’s highly unlikely. If someone can convince them to send logged MAF g/s or lb/min on their tune, we could lay this to rest pretty quickly assuming that their MAF calibration is correct.
Sponsored