Sponsored

Tickford S550 - 536 hp/466 lb/ft....from a tune!

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
The price they charge for the tune certainly supports their claim.
Sponsored

MrWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT
The price they charge for the tune certainly supports their claim.
But that also comes with a 3 year driveline warranty (and is $2007 usd) - still a bit steep maybe

ENPhoto

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ErikNymanPhotography.com
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt Premium Performance Pack
Tickford likely has far more tuning resources available than the popular "big three" here in the US, such as an OEM level of access to the ECU.

Why can some calibrators tune for flex-fuel and others cant? Access and know how..

From Eric @ HpTuners on their specific forum:
"The new vehicles don't use a sensor in the tank, they use the wideband readings and can adjust for e85 fuel content......
The logic is there and the parameters that go along with it are all populated with data in all of the Mustang calibrations I have looked at. I added the switch to enable it, but have not added all of the other parameters that go along with it. The few guys that have tried it so far had great results though."

In HPT, on my stock '16 calibration, I have all of the FFV tables accessible and the cold start alchohol tables to the ESYS pcm definitions have recently been added.

I really don't see why anyone with access to HPT or SCT can't do it now. Maybe in the past there were some major workarounds or liability issues and that's why some calibrators wouldn't do it?

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I know AED, for one, thinks the stock fuel system is not up to the task as far as flow.

Sponsored

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Forget the whp versus bhp debate, just figure it on a percentage. They gained 15.25%. That percentage should translate pretty closely to most any corrected dyno figure, barring some kind of extreme conditions.

Let’s take the example of 436whp given above. With their tune only, on let’s say 95 octane to be generous, that car would now make 514whp. All stock hardware, including the more restrictive RHD exhaust system. That’s a tough claim to swallow, but I’ll be the first to admit that I’m wrong if they can show it to be true. As the saying goes though, extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. We need to see a data log with a few basic parameters, and/or a couple of third party before and after results of some kind.
Are you saying the stock mechanical architecture, rhd or lhd, of the gen3 coyote won't support the claim? I'd say you are wrong and swallow the bitter pill when it's served to you

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Ford does under rate and de-tune their engines. Whether it's to fit into emissions or to have room on the table to increase paper specs without doing much work, that is a common practice.

I still find it hard to believe that much power is on the table. I would love more information.
Manufactures leave more on the table than you obviously are aware of. Been that way since the beginning
The total equation takes more into account than just hp production potential.
The reason why? Tens of thousands of units produced require finesse and hint of reliability and conformity.

Z_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Import
I bet that tune runs very lean. And makes it dangerous with bad gas on a hot day. My Buddy lost his Corvette's engine in a hot South Florida day due to detonation. The rod destroyed the block.

You can make lots of power with timing and AFR, but gets scary in high RPM.

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
Are you saying the stock mechanical architecture, rhd or lhd, of the gen3 coyote won't support the claim? I'd say you are wrong and swallow the bitter pill when it's served to you
What I’m saying is that we need more data. A 15.25% power gain, practically throughout the entire power curve to boot, with only a tune on good pump gas is extremely unlikely. It seems to me that I’m being healthily skeptical, willing to admit that it’s true with some data, and many people here want this to be true so badly that they’re willing to take the claim hook, line, and sinker.

Here’s what one of the tuners I respect thought about the claim. “They are quoting gains at the crank, likely a figure that they extrapolate from wheel power measurements and add a multiplier onto.
So 1, it's not actual BHP, it's estimated. and 2, that is likely around 40-50whp gains. Still hard to believe.” He tunes multiple platforms, including engines with direct injection and dual fuel like the gen 3 coyote. He’s very familiar with injector manipulation to make power. Dual and triple injection events per cycle, injection angle, etc. He’s also very familiar with dyno calibration on different types of dynos. Extremely unlikely doesn’t mean impossible, it means it’s not likely. All I want is data.

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Went digging on this.
Think its legit power.
Some serious outside the box thinking on how the DI is used from what I understood.
Yep. From what I hear, they had to rewrite a significant portion of the ECU firmware to allow it. In reality, it's not just a tune, but an entirely new program on which the tune is based.

But pay no attention to the technical details, I think people on here are just pissed off because they already spent a boatload of money on another tune lol

Sponsored

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Yep. From what I hear, they had to rewrite a significant portion of the ECU firmware to allow it. In reality, it's not just a tune, but an entirely new program on which the tune is based.

But pay no attention to the technical details, I think people on here are just pissed off because they already spent a boatload of money on another tune lol
In other words, its not something some ordinary smoe that increases spark advance or fueling is going to achieve...

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
Again, where are you guys “hearing” this from, and where is the data you’re “digging on” to develop your opinions? That’s all I’m asking for.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Need more info and data. As always, I am skeptical.

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Again, where are you guys “hearing” this from, and where is the data you’re “digging on” to develop your opinions? That’s all I’m asking for.
Agreed. Unsubstantiated, undocumented statements are useless bullshit.