2018 Seat Cooling

Chainsaw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic Gray A10, 401A, PP1.
I don't care for the cooled seats. Feels like I'm sitting in a puddle.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Rippermac

Rippermac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mac
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible PP A10
Think I'll take it in...anything to help prevent swamp ass here in the mid Atlantic high humidity sweat box :)

Chappers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Supra MkV - Tungsten Silver
I had read a few TSBs for other Ford products and the pre-2018 fix was to go into the As Built module and up the TED fan speeds. The other fix was a mod to the path from TED to seatback via a “sock”, which we all know did not work too well at all.
Any idea on the as built code?

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I agree with Cobra Jet, the 2018 I test drove actually got the seat back nice and cold which my previous Mustangs haven't been able to do.

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
It's good to know Ford is using the same technology from the 15-17 models. :headbonk::headbonk:

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Any idea on the as built code?
Not exactly sure - but when I had my 2016, I did post a while back in the Forscan thread and the heated/cooled seat thread in DIY asking the same and giving the same info... seems to have been glossed over with no real responses.

Here’s the info I posted before, which might work on the Mustang IF someone can figure out how to get to the settings of the correct module for the TEDs:

Climate Control Seat – Heating/Cooling Performance Improvement – 2015-2017 Lincoln MKC
oemdtc August 21, 2017
Info 2015-2017 MKC – Climate Control Seat – Heating/Cooling Performance Improvement – Built On Or Before 12-Dec-2016

Some 2015-2017 MKC vehicles equipped with climate control seats and built on or before 12-Dec-2016 may exhibit poor heating/cooling performance from the climate control seat.

To correct the condition, update the seat control module E (SCME) as-built configuration using IDS version 106.01 or higher.
The same type of TSB update is also issued for a few other Ford products, not sure why one does not exist for the Mustang, but if someone can gain access to the As Built module, I’m sure the same procedure would fix the 2015-2017 Mustang lack cooled seats concerns.

Another example:
Climate Control Seat – Poor Cooling Performance – 2015-2016 Ford Edge
oemdtc May 14, 2017
Diagnostic Tips 2015-2016 Edge – Climate Control Seat – Poor Cooling Performance – Built On Or Before 3-Oct-2016

Some 2015-2016 Edge vehicles equipped with climate control seats built on or before 3-Oct-2016 may exhibit poor cooling performance from the climate control seat.

This may be due to software in the Seat Control Module E (SCME). To correct the condition, update the SCME as-built configuration using Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) version 105.02 or higher.
Another example in attached pdf:

Attachments

Last edited:

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
Anyone else with a 2018 notice the lack of cooling in the seats? Am I expecting too much? I would have thought they would have redesigned the cooling to help with prior year complaints. Wondering if I should even take it in and complain about :)
Do you 18 folks get the rear seat cooled? I think the biggest complaint from the previous years were the lack of cooling in the back. The bottom cools fine.
Doesn't seem to cool the back much if at all. The cooled seats in the F150 and Taurus seem to cool the back better. The butt is about the same although the F150 is tan and the Taurus is the black fake suede.
It's my first time having cooled seats in a car and they aren't that great. The seat bottom is decent but I don't think the seat back cools much if at all.
I can't stand the cold butt feeling. But where I have found them to work is when remote starting the vehicle on a hot day. Even the seat-back cools a bit.

But I don't feel much flow in the seat-back when sitting in the seat.
Yes, the bottom cools great! But the back on the driver and passenger side doesnt cool worth jack.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Sounds like the 18s are as hit or miss as the 15-17s in regards to the back of the seat cooling.

Sponsored

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
I don't care for the cooled seats. Feels like I'm sitting in a puddle.
the other day, i suddenly heard a yelp from the passenger seat, the gf had forgotten about the "wet ass" effect :D

GOTdaBLACK1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, Shadow Black, MT82D4, PP1
Used mine for the first time yesterday. They worked just fine. 2018 GT PP.

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
Sounds like the 18s are as hit or miss as the 15-17s in regards to the back of the seat cooling.
I don't really think it is a difference or variability in the cars.

The difference is in the people (perceptions/expectations), body types/shapes, environmental and clothing.

Body/clothing:

If you're 300+ lbs with lots of "back fat" your fat & skin are going to take the shape of the seat and block most of the holes from flowing air freely. Also, if you're wearing clothing that doesn't "breathe" and it also pushed tight to the seat as mentioned above you're not going to get very much cold air.

Now if you're a "fit person" with back muscles and an indent between them, some space in the lumbar area and your back doesn't go all the way to the edges blocking all the holes there is going to be more room / less pressure for air to blow through. Also, breathable clothes helps.

Climate:
Other variables like humidity, climate control settings/levels, outside temps, solar energy/heat penetrating the car, tinted windows, etc. all play factors in how "cool" you feel relatively speaking.

Emrys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Question for anyone who can answer: if the seat back is NOT cooling or heating on a 2017, is it even worth it to take it to the dealership for warranty work? Or is that the basic design (or an accepted flaw) of the 15-17 S550s?
Sponsored