khannected

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sohaib
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT
Found this article:
https://carbuzz.com/news/next-gen-ford-mustang-could-have-all-wheel-drive-and-electric-power

"Ford has already confirmed a hybrid version of the current Mustang is coming for the first time in the model’s 50-year history. Holter says it will arrive in 2019, possibly as a 2020 model, and told the publication an electrified version of the iconic muscle car “will help further unlock Mustang’s potential” in markets such as China and Europe. Likewise, an all-wheel drive Mustang could broaden the car’s appeal in colder climates, much like the all-wheel drive Dodge Challenger GT."

This might allude to underpinnings for a mustang based crossover.
Sponsored

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
I would love an AWD Mustang, IF, it's a selectable AWD. ie: you can have it with 100% power to the rear wheels at all times or in an AWD-mode where like 30%-ish power can be sent to front wheels if it needs it (ie: snow).

Kansas GT

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
I enjoy AWD for a beater (Subaru Forester) that gets around when the weather is questionable. With that said, I do love pure RWD for a daily. It's predictable and fun for spirited driving. With that said, AWD would be pretty cool for performance if they can put the power down reliably. Had an Evo for awhile, and that was one fun car.

Eric Z.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
It could be good or bad. If its a hybrid like your quote says it is, it could be a wimpy 4 banger mixed with a couple electric engines on the front wheels. Could be fun if they make it sporty enough. My gut tells me they will kill its performance to make economical enough to meet these crazy CAFE standards.

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
AWD Mustang = Gas rear, motors front.

But in all actuality, it might be 4 banger in fwd, while electric motors in the rear to help for high torque acceleration.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
This news has already been know for some time but I sure hope it goes AWD ... selectable would be even better.

I'd then have no issue whatsoever FI boosting the engine as grip won't be a problem.

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Audi S5 anyone? A performance oriented Mustang AWD would be pretty bad a$$

Before I bought my '17 GT, I was considering buying a used S5, however in the end I didn't want to deal with the higher cost of ownership of the Audi, I already have a Q5 with a 3.0 supercharged...

Done right, AWD is great for performance cars, but yeah weight needs to be kept down and F/R bias needs to be selectable, like the Subaru STI

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang Ecoboost premium
I would LOVE an AWD mustang. I just sold my 15 mustang to move to an AWD S3 as the car is my DD and I live in the northeast. That might bring me back.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
If Farruko is right, that S650 will remain on current platform, then this speculation is highly unlikely.

Sponsored

FLA-GTPony

5.0 User
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
AWD with boosted application.... Would love it.

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
As long as it's a 4-door.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
As long as it has enough HP where AWD will be helpful (at least 600+) and handling doesn't suffer, I'm all for AWD.

awmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium PP
The new Lincoln Aviator is supposedly going to be on a RWD platform, so that likely means the next Explorer will also be on a RWD platform. Both of these vehicles are going to have AWD/4WD. I don't know how much that platform could be adjusted for car use, but the simple fact is the Mustang cannot continue being the only RWD vehicle on it's platform. It simply must share for the economies of scale to make the Mustang a viable car to keep making. It just doesn't sell nearly enough to have its own dedicated platform. I would love to see Lincoln make a competitive sports sedan that could go up against the 3 series. That would be the obvious platform mate for the Mustang. However, the US and even parts of the rest of the world are going SUV crazy so if the Mustang has to share something with an SUV in order to keep being made I'm all for that. And if that sharing allows for the Mustang to have OPTIONAL AWD then I say why not. It's not for everyone but that's why it's optional.
I daily drive mine and it has winter tires on for the winter, but there have been a couple of times where AWD would have been nice (mostly heading up hills where I have to stop on the hill). But as others have said, I would want it to be selectable to RWD only.

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
Found this article:
https://carbuzz.com/news/next-gen-ford-mustang-could-have-all-wheel-drive-and-electric-power
"Ford has already confirmed a hybrid version of the current Mustang is coming for the first time in the model’s 50-year history. Holter says it will arrive in 2019, possibly as a 2020 model, and told the publication an electrified version of the iconic muscle car “will help further unlock Mustang’s potential” in markets such as China and Europe. Likewise, an all-wheel drive Mustang could broaden the car’s appeal in colder climates, much like the all-wheel drive Dodge Challenger GT."
This might allude to underpinnings for a mustang based crossover.
This is where that rumor is coming from:
http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/201...ying-to-please-all-with-new-mustang-variants/
The following text is taken from that website:
thedetroitbureau said:
That’s the sort of formula Ford will have to keep in mind as it begins working on the next-generation Mustang due to market early in the coming decade. Ford will be weighing a variety of options going forward, even all-wheel-drive, though Holter sees that as unlikely
So… If Holter being “Marketing Manager” says that is “unlikely” in my opinion that’s a “I don’t want to say no, but that ain’t gonna happen”

The new Lincoln Aviator is supposedly going to be on a RWD platform, so that likely means the next Explorer will also be on a RWD platform. Both of these vehicles are going to have AWD/4WD. I don't know how much that platform could be adjusted for car use, but the simple fact is the Mustang cannot continue being the only RWD vehicle on it's platform.
Oh yeah, of course it can… also, what Falc'man says makes sense: “If Farruko is right, that S650 will remain on current platform, then this speculation is highly unlikely.”
Sponsored