MT-82 Rear Mount Upgrades

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
Some of us seem to have a knack for coming up with great finds that come from out of left field. I've even found the odd one myself. But for this issue I am not doing so well.

Wanting to improve (read: stiffen) the rear mount in my car, I picked up an insert from Whiteline. It stiffened the mounting for sure, but...well...

I find myself wishing there was an intermediate step between stock and what I have now.

I looked at the Boomba - www.boombaracing.com/2015-mustang-v6-ecoboost-transmission-mount-60d-street-spec/ - which appears to be sortof what I want, but there is very little non-metal in there. They offer it in a 60D "Street Spec" and a 70D "Race Spec" - and presumably the 70D is firmer than the 60D - but it's impossible to really comprehend how stiff those numbers are simply by looking at a photo. I'm uneasy about the possibility that it'll be the same or perhaps only 3% better than what I have now.

Can anyone offer some feedback on the Boomba piece?

And/but isn't there a mount that looks exactly like stock but in which the non-metal material is firmer than stock? I'm sure I saw one months ago, but I can't find it again.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
"I find myself wishing there was an intermediate step between stock and what I have now."

I had the boomba 60D one and went back to the whiteline. When I went back, I drilled a 2-3 inch hole in the middle and it helped me.

OP
OP

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
Aha! (and thanks for replying) So - that suggests that you agree; the Whiteline is just a little too stiff. Are you able to quantify the Boomba relatively?

'Waaay stiffer than stock?
'Waaay stiffer than Whiteline?
20% stiffer than Whiteline?
75%% stiffer than stock?

Or - if it's easier - what about a noise level where 10 represents what you'd expect from a completely solid mount...and 2 represents the factory mount?

The Boomba 70D is...maybe...an 8?
The Boomba 60D a 7?
The Whiteline is a 6?
The altered Whiteline is a 5?

Is that fairly accurate IYO? Or maybe you'd like to adjust those numbers?

I'm interested in your evaluation since you have had all three at some point.

Thanks! :cheers:

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Aha! (and thanks for replying) So - that suggests that you agree; the Whiteline is just a little too stiff. Are you able to quantify the Boomba relatively?

'Waaay stiffer than stock?
'Waaay stiffer than Whiteline?
20% stiffer than Whiteline?
75%% stiffer than stock?

Or - if it's easier - what about a noise level where 10 represents what you'd expect from a completely solid mount...and 2 represents the factory mount?

The Boomba 70D is...maybe...an 8?
The Boomba 60D a 7?
The Whiteline is a 6?
The altered Whiteline is a 5?

Is that fairly accurate IYO? Or maybe you'd like to adjust those numbers?

I'm interested in your evaluation since you have had all three at some point.

Thanks! :cheers:
Good question lol. I only had the whiteline on for about 500 miles, Boomba for about 100 miles, and then whiteline for another 200 miles before I added a MGW shifter lol. Just to clarify too, I only had the 60D, never got the 70D, but with the 60D, it was stiffer and according to your scale, I would rate the 60D as a 8 (along with a lot of NVH). The whiteline was about a 6 and the altered whiteline was about a 5-6 (not enough experience with it since I installed a MWG shifter shorty after reinstalled).

I would try the hole in the whiteline first and see how you like it. You can drilled a small hole first and then go bigger to see if you feel a difference. Honestly, my setup, I drilled a pretty big hole right off the bat and felt very little lol.

OP
OP

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
...You can drilled a small hole first and then go bigger to see if you feel a difference. Honestly, my setup, I drilled a pretty big hole right off the bat and felt very little lol.
Difference, right? You felt very little difference?

If I'm understanding it correctly, it suggests that even with a significant portion of the material removed from the Whiteline insert the NVH remains at a level that you would describe as unacceptably high. (Yes?)

Sponsored

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Difference, right? You felt very little difference?

If I'm understanding it correctly, it suggests that even with a significant portion of the material removed from the Whiteline insert the NVH remains at a level that you would describe as unacceptably high. (Yes?)
The NVH is still there, but minimized with the altered whiteline. The hole allows it to flex more I guess. As for the stiffness, it is about the same, from what I recall, the hole was to reduce the NVH and keep the stiffness of the shifts you feel. All I wanted was a little stiffness (even with a MGW shifter now) and the altered whiteline did it for me.

OP
OP

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
For the thousands of forum members that hang on my every word...

I ended up removing the Whiteline stiffener. Its function as a shift-improving mechanism was questionable...but its contribution as a harshness-adding mechanism was inarguable. I was hearing all sorts of clunking and moaning that I never heard before - and I know there are no underlying issues with the car - therefore it is purely a matter of increased transmission of [normally-inaudible] chassis noise and vibration.

Sorry, Whiteline.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
For the thousands of forum members that hang on my every word...

I ended up removing the Whiteline stiffener. Its function as a shift-improving mechanism was questionable...but its contribution as a harshness-adding mechanism was inarguable. I was hearing all sorts of clunking and moaning that I never heard before - and I know there are no underlying issues with the car - therefore it is purely a matter of increased transmission of [normally-inaudible] chassis noise and vibration.

Sorry, Whiteline.
Nothing wrong with honesty! I have a Whiteline bushing and it did add quite a bit of NVH when unaltered. I ended up removing a great deal of it.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Update: I was changing oil over the weekend so I slipped under there to look at things. I still had my Whiteline bushing insert intact on the sides of the trans bracket, (I had cut the bottom section out long ago). After looking at how things are put together, I determined there is no reason the have this bushing in conjunction with the Blowfish bracket. The bracket bolts your shifter to the trans, so when the trans moves the shifter moves. Without the bracket the trans may move around slightly more but the shifter follows it. I took the remaining part of the bushing out and test drove the car. Zero change in shifter performance, still shifts well. I have now used both items separately and together and my conclusion is:
BF bracket > Whiteline bushing. BF bracket and White bushing together = BF bracket alone. I did notice a slight reduction in cabin noise when I removed the remains of the bushing. I think it contributed to shifter rattle at higher RPM as well. When it was 100% intact, it produced a lot of cabin noise.
Sponsored