Sponsored

Steeda MT-82 Transmission Mount Bushing Insert

LG23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT
Writing this quick review of the Steeda transmission bushing because I wish I had read something like this before purchasing.

Many people seem to have issues shifting into 2nd or 3rd and don't like how notchy the shifting is. Personally, I have not had any misshifts and dont think mine was very notchy to begin with. I bought the part thinking it will just make it even more solid.

Install was pretty straightforward and easy. I drilled a 3/4-1 inch hole into the center of the bushing to remove some NVH. The bushing can be a huge pain to push into the holes. It is a very very tight fit. Sucks to do under jack stands.

I drove around for a few days and noticed there was slight improvement in trans feeling more solid, there was definitely a little bit less slop. There was also definitely a bit more transmission noise, a slight overall humming and some other noises at low rpms etc. The very slight improvement was not enough to justify the slight vibration and tranny noise I was getting so I removed the bushing, it was annoying to hear the slight grinding and humming noise- clutch sounds seemed louder as well.. I removed it and just drove the car now without it and the cabin is much quieter/no vibration and the shifter barely has more slop. If I ever actually get concerned about it I'll probably just get the MGW shifter and be done with it.

Overall, this part IMO is only worth it if you feel you are missing shifts very often or that your shifter is extremely notchy. I didn't have any issues missing shifts without the bushing and I purchased thinking it would make it a bit more solid but it definitely came with annoying NVH even after I drilled the hole. It does its job but for me the small difference really did not justify the noises it caused during daily driving. :shrug:
Sponsored

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
Writing this quick review of the Steeda transmission bushing because I wish I had read something like this before purchasing.

Many people seem to have issues shifting into 2nd or 3rd and don't like how notchy the shifting is. Personally, I have not had any misshifts and dont think mine was very notchy to begin with. I bought the part thinking it will just make it even more solid.

Install was pretty straightforward and easy. I drilled a 3/4-1 inch hole into the center of the bushing to remove some NVH. The bushing can be a huge pain to push into the holes. It is a very very tight fit. Sucks to do under jack stands.

I drove around for a few days and noticed there was slight improvement in trans feeling more solid, there was definitely a little bit less slop. There was also definitely a bit more transmission noise, a slight overall humming and some other noises at low rpms etc. The very slight improvement was not enough to justify the slight vibration and tranny noise I was getting so I removed the bushing, it was annoying to hear the slight grinding and humming noise- clutch sounds seemed louder as well.. I removed it and just drove the car now without it and the cabin is much quieter/no vibration and the shifter barely has more slop. If I ever actually get concerned about it I'll probably just get the MGW shifter and be done with it.

Overall, this part IMO is only worth it if you feel you are missing shifts very often or that your shifter is extremely notchy. I didn't have any issues missing shifts without the bushing and I purchased thinking it would make it a bit more solid but it definitely came with annoying NVH even after I drilled the hole. It does its job but for me the small difference really did not justify the noises it caused during daily driving. :shrug:
Two observations here:

1) I cut the entire center portion off (saw it on svtperformance, I think). There is still some minimal NVH, but not noticeable unless you actually attempt to find it.

2) For easy installation, get a ball-joint C clamp, small vise or something tool of that sort, to help you press the rubber into the hole.

OP
OP
LG23

LG23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT
Two observations here:

1) I cut the entire center portion off (saw it on svtperformance, I think). There is still some minimal NVH, but not noticeable unless you actually attempt to find it.

2) For easy installation, get a ball-joint C clamp, small vise or something tool of that sort, to help you press the rubber into the hole.
I used a C clamp and every drop of the lube but that thing was tight :p I was thinking about making the hole twice as large or even cutting that bottom portion off but I really didn't have a problem getting locked out of gears to begin with. The vibration was very minimal- my problem was with all of the tranny noise. The noise was coming from under the shifter and clutch noise was def louder. I know forsure because I took it out and immediately went for a drive and the cabin was silent. I don't have a problem with nvh because I drove a solid trilogy motor mount Mazdaspeed3 for a while which is real NVH but that was different because it actually made a worlds difference in the shifting, so the nvh was justified.

I read a ton of reviews and people either swear by it or swear it's useless. So I wanted to provide my experience in case somebody needs a detailed reason. It was a pretty cheap part though and I suppose it helps those with excessive slop and who are very very frequently locked out of gears where the tranny noise/slight vibration is justified.
Sponsored