First Bad Review!!

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
The tramlining on my 350 was an eye opener the first time I went down a well worn, rutted, uneven highway. There is one section of 2-lane on my way to work that I better have both hands on the wheel or I will be half way into the on-coming lane or shoulder before I know it. I've experimented with tire pressures, the G-brace and set my toe to 0 - all without much change. The seemingly best improvement was just setting the steering on comfort. it still tramlines and there is steering kickback - but due to the greater steering assist - it seems to minimize it as the effort to correct for it is less.
Sponsored

ecoce1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350
The tramlining on my 350 was an eye opener the first time I went down a well worn, rutted, uneven highway. There is one section of 2-lane on my way to work that I better have both hands on the wheel or I will be half way into the on-coming lane or shoulder before I know it. I've experimented with tire pressures, the G-brace and set my toe to 0 - all without much change. The seemingly best improvement was just setting the steering on comfort. it still tramlines and there is steering kickback - but due to the greater steering assist - it seems to minimize it as the effort to correct for it is less.
I need to try it in comfort mode. I always leave the steering in sports setting. I like heavier and tighter steering feel (used to it from all the bmws). The steering feelis actually very good when in sport mode, compared to like an audi, where it is very loose. I will try it out in comfort, to see if that minimizes the tramline.

I appreciate an actual reply that I can use.

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
You can also increase your air pressure, especially in winter, to reduce the tramline effect. I run about 35 psi in all four tires. You could go as high as 40, but then it's going to ride much rougher.

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I've experimented with tire pressures, the G-brace and set my toe to 0 - all without much change.
Surprised to hear that. At 32psi and below, my car tramlines quite a bit. At 35 and above, it is greatly reduced. I'm at factory toe, and I do have a K-member brace (built it myself).

ecoce1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350
You can also increase your air pressure, especially in winter, to reduce the tramline effect. I run about 35 psi in all four tires. You could go as high as 40, but then it's going to ride much rougher.
Did not know that. I know in the summer the pressure I had was about 35, right now its around 30 in the cold and I never adjusted. Will try this as well.

I might have to remake the video if all these pointers make the tramline go down a lot, because it is pretty significant at times. Especially when my wheel alignment was way off (not sure how that is possible with a brand new car). It got a lot better once I got the alignment straight, but it is still pretty significant.

Sponsored

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Surprised to hear that. At 32psi and below, my car tramlines quite a bit. At 35 and above, it is greatly reduced. I'm at factory toe, and I do have a K-member brace (built it myself).
I have not actually tried a pressure as high as 35 so possibly that is what it takes. I tried a fairly narrow range of 28 to 32/33 psi. I might experiment with that just to see - but not sure I want to run around some of the city streets we have with pressure quite that high.

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I need to try it in comfort mode. I always leave the steering in sports setting. I like heavier and tighter steering feel (used to it from all the bmws). The steering feelis actually very good when in sport mode, compared to like an audi, where it is very loose. I will try it out in comfort, to see if that minimizes the tramline.

I appreciate an actual reply that I can use.
Probably not going to be a night/day difference but especially from Sport to Comfort I think you will notice a little improvement at least in effort to make steering corrections.

AirBusPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Sorry if my video offended people. I believe the issue is that I might have worded it incorrectly and this is why people are giving a lot of negative feedback and not adding much to the reason the car actually tramlines. I do agree the car handles well (as I actually mentioned in the video). I did say that this is a great car for track purpose and where the roads are straight. I have no argument there, the car turns very well.

My only issue is the tramline on the car. I was not aware of this at all, before getting the car. To be honest I would not have been aware of this, even if I test drove the car on some good roads either. This is just really apparent on the New York roads (which sucks because of the roads mostly and not the car). That being said, my comparison goes against all other cars I have owned. The last few were e46 M3, F82 m4 and f10 M5. I drove these cars on the same roads as the Shelby, so that is why the tramline is so much more apparent to me. I am sure that if I purchased the Shelby GT350 and at the same time moved away from New York, I probably would not notice the tramline at all.

The thing is that I am just not really understanding why all other sports cars I drove, do not tramline. Granted that maybe I am only comparing BMW to Ford, which might be an issue also, but I did recently test drive a Z06 and an Aston Martrin DBS. Both were driven in New York and I felt no tramline on the cars at all. I am getting a lot of comments about me not knowing anything, but I would really appreciate if someone can give me a reason the car tramlines. I do understand that the wider 295 tires add in the tramline issue, but Im also sure that there was a reason behind making the tires so wide. What I am just not sure is to why all other sports cars I drove, do not tramline. Also I recently changed the wheels from stock wheels. Most of my driving has been done on OEM wheels.

I did also check the wheel alignment. Surprisingly it was way off, but I had the issue resolved in the first week I had the car. It definitely helped to minimize the tramline as well.

Again, I did not mean to make the video to offend anyone and I apologize for talking bad about the Shelby. I know that everyone loves the car, but I just wanted to share what I felt was a bit of a negative on New York roads. Also I think I should have made it a bit more clear that the car takes turns like a beast, but the tramline is something I just do not understand. Having to fight to keep the car going straight is a bit of an odd thing, especially when all other sports cars I drove, do not do that.
No BMW I’m aware of has 295 size tires in the front. BTW, my 09’ Z06 would also tramline.

Fortunately for most of us, rough and uneven pavement isn’t the norm. Some back Texas roads can be that way, and I’ve experienced tramlining in those conditions. It’s just a side effect of huge front rubber. I can’t imagine having to live in NYC and drive a car like the GT350. It’d be a workout.

The reason Ford and most upper end sports cars use fat rubber is because it improves cornering grip, and it’s especially needed on a heavier performance car.

Love your car, looks killer.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Funny I drive my car in NYC all the time with 305s on the front. I have an alignment and RS3s tramelining isnt that bad.

Sponsored

ecoce1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350
No BMW I’m aware of has 295 size tires in the front. BTW, my 09’ Z06 would also tramline.

Fortunately for most of us, rough and uneven pavement isn’t the norm. Some back Texas roads can be that way, and I’ve experienced tramlining in those conditions. It’s just a side effect of huge front rubber. I can’t imagine having to live in NYC and drive a car like the GT350. It’d be a workout.

The reason Ford and most upper end sports cars use fat rubber is because it improves cornering grip, and it’s especially needed on a heavier performance car.

Love your car, looks killer.
Yea, I think the disconnect with my opinion about the tramline and what other people experience with the car, is that most people drive it on smooth, straight paved roads. I think if I lived in Texas, I would consider this to be one of the best handling cars ever, because I would not experience the tramline that I experience in New York....on the other hand I can see why people think I am wrong in saying the car does not handle. If this car is driven by others on straight roads, then there is no reason to even consider that the car might have any issues with handling.

Just want to make it clear that this was an opinion based on my experience driving it on the roads that I drove all the other cars I have owned. I literally never even knew what tramline is, until I purchased this car. With lots of driving experience in the last 16 years, it was a bit of a shock.

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E90 M3 | GT350R | Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
As to why the GT350 tramlines is 1) sheer tire width, put the same width on any car and will also feel something similar; 2) tire compound. At least with the PSC2s, it is NOT the same compound as other PSC2s..these are far stickier tires with different tread/wear patterns compared to the PSC2s on my M3...eg the outer edge of the PSC2s on the R turns into a slick, whereas other PSC2s maintain the outer and shoulder grooves thru the life of the tire (suspect same may be for PSS); 3) as others mentioned, the suspension geometry which also makes the car handle great on a track (and give it actual feedback for an EPS system...FAR superior to BMWs' EPS) 4) slightly heavier nose vs the 50/50ish weight distribution of Vettes/M3s/M5s; 5) cars like the M4 and M5 are so disconnected from the road feel that I think the steering numbs out the feeling completely, making you think you're not feeling the tires grab road imperfections. Case in point, as some mentioned, putting the GT350 in comfort mode numbs the steering more and definitely feels like it tramlines less than in sport/track mode.

As far as taking the pressures higher, to me this makes tram lining worse, which makes sense considering that lower pressures soften the tire and allow it to give more when encountering imperfections.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=47

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Mine tramlines like a sob in construction zones and grooved/bad roads. I think where the reviewer lost me is complaining about not being able to drink coffee and drive the car because of this etc. IMHO that just screams poser. “Yes I’ll take the track ready Mustang then make a YouTube video complaining about how it lacks because I can’t sip my latte comfortably while driving it.” No offense, just observed reality man.

Stoked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Focus RS/2016 GT350/2002 Audi A4
I've been in the heart (or close to it, if a couple blocks off Times Square can be considered as such) of Manhattan for the last week, and if you're driving a GT350 down where...I have to say, Good Lord man, why???

The car CAN handle, largely in part I would say, to those big ass tires. Consider the tramlining like a side effect. Take the bad with the very, very good.

It isn't built to drive around NYC. Take it out to a curvy, open highway or even better, a race track to really see what those tires do for the car.

Leave the trips in and around the city to Lyft or Uber.