Sponsored

First Bad Review!!

ecoce1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350
Probably not going to be a night/day difference but especially from Sport to Comfort I think you will notice a little improvement at least in effort to make steering corrections.
Just tried comfort mode. It definitely made a huge difference. One option I never actually played around with was the steering setting. I like heavier settings and tried the comfort maybe the first day I had the car. The minus is that the steering becomes a lot lighter, but tramline definitely became a lot less apparent.

As to why the GT350 tramlines is 1) sheer tire width, put the same width on any car and will also feel something similar; 2) tire compound. At least with the PSC2s, it is NOT the same compound as other PSC2s..these are far stickier tires with different tread/wear patterns compared to the PSC2s on my M3...eg the outer edge of the PSC2s on the R turns into a slick, whereas other PSC2s maintain the outer and shoulder grooves thru the life of the tire (suspect same may be for PSS); 3) as others mentioned, the suspension geometry which also makes the car handle great on a track (and give it actual feedback for an EPS system...FAR superior to BMWs' EPS) 4) slightly heavier nose vs the 50/50ish weight distribution of Vettes/M3s/M5s; 5) cars like the M4 and M5 are so disconnected from the road feel that I think the steering numbs out the feeling completely, making you think you're not feeling the tires grab road imperfections. Case in point, as some mentioned, putting the GT350 in comfort mode numbs the steering more and definitely feels like it tramlines less than in sport/track mode.

As far as taking the pressures higher, to me this makes tram lining worse, which makes sense considering that lower pressures soften the tire and allow it to give more when encountering imperfections.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=47
Appreciate this informative answer. I believe you are spot on with everything. I think the problem is that I do drive in New York and am comparing the car to mostly BMW's that I had in the past. The issue is that I have never heard of tramlining and never experienced it on any car before, especially to this magnitude. I do get to test drive a lot of my friends cars and none of them tramline. As much as everyone is telling me that tramlining has nothing to do with handling, it just a bit hard for me to understand that, when at some points I have to really fight the car to keep it going straight (this is definitely only apparent on bad roads, so obviously people that do not drive on bad roads, would not even know what I am talking about).

I think you are accurate about the tire pressure as well. Driving home I tried comfort mode with steering and it became a lot better. I came home and pumped up the tires to 34 in front and 36 in the back and it seems that tramline became worse (I only drove a few blocks, but will try it out tomorrow).

Mine tramlines like a sob in construction zones and grooved/bad roads. I think where the reviewer lost me is complaining about not being able to drink coffee and drive the car because of this etc. IMHO that just screams poser. “Yes I’ll take the track ready Mustang then make a YouTube video complaining about how it lacks because I can’t sip my latte comfortably while driving it.” No offense, just observed reality man.
None taken. Drinking the coffee was a bit of an extreme example. I do enjoy driving sports cars, A LOT! I actually never even play the radio on the shelby, because I enjoy the sound of the exhaust (Im sure thats what most people do that have this car). The issue is that all other cars I drove, I never experienced tramlining like this. Like I mentioned above it just feels weird that I have to fight the car to keep it going straight at some points of the road and than be able to say that the car is handling great. I think putting the steering in comfort is going to help this a bit. Also I can definitely see the benefits of the car tramlining on track. It will follow the turns a lot better.
Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
My GT350 started to tramline pretty bad as the tires wore. I put on new MPSS (OEM) and the tramlining was greatly reduced. The car felt like a completely new machine. The tramlining will likely come back as the tires wear, but maybe a new set would help your situation. I had 20,000 miles (and 3 track days) on mine when I replaced them.

-T

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
RE: tramlining. I've read some suggestions to try increased pressure and some to try reduced pressure to reduce tramlining. My thoughts paralleled those who suggested tire sidewall stiffness influenced tramlining significantly, with stiffer sidewalls increasing the effect. If so, increasing tire pressures would seem to stiffen the sidewall and increase tramlining and decreased pressures reduce it. I've varied pressure from about 28 to 32 and not noticed much difference over that fairly narrow range but maybe I need to try a little higher pressure.

That sidewall stiffness is a factor on tramlining would seem to make sense in that some posters report a change of tires or new tires have sometimes seemed to reduce the effect. I don't know?
Sponsored