Sponsored

Speeding Ticket(s)!!!!!!

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
Oh yes. 80 mph in VA in "Reckless Driving" and will kill your insurance rates and you can lose your license. Max I'll drive is 78 mph.
Jeez I was hoping that was just for us out of state guys. Sucks for you guys since you have some of the best roads in the country.

Looks like I will continue flying over your state and not driving through it. Sucks cuz I hear it's pretty out there.
Sponsored

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
In VA, yeah no kidding. R3 is a great detector for the money though. BTW, does the VSP really hand out reckless driving for 80 mph? Or is that just a story they circulate to scare out of state commuters?

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title46.2/chapter8/section46.2-862/

As a side note someone with the same First , Last name as me with the same zipcode and birth month , recently got a 75/55 Speeding ticket , and the lawyers are sending me all kinds of junk mail now.

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
Jeez I was hoping that was just for us out of state guys. Sucks for you guys since you have some of the best roads in the country.

Looks like I will continue flying over your state and not driving through it. Sucks cuz I hear it's pretty out there.
Also 20 mph over a speed limit is Reckless Driving. So 75 in a 55 is Reckless.

sublimaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium

Also 20 mph over a speed limit is Reckless Driving. So 75 in a 55 is Reckless.
Virginia state laws are some of the most draconian/ridiculous in the nation. It is a pretty part of the country and I (mostly) enjoyed living there, but some of their laws are just asinine.

jstump2490

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Virginia state laws are some of the most draconian/ridiculous in the nation. It is a pretty part of the country and I (mostly) enjoyed living there, but some of their laws are just asinine.
Can't you only buy booze and cigs at special stores in VA too?

Sponsored

sublimaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Good point. It has been years since I lived there, but when I did, you could buy liquor only at state-operated ABC stores. Maybe it has changed since then.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Cigs anywhere...booze is a state run black market (ABC stores).

As for speeding laws - I have more than a few acquaintances who are law enforcement. Some local, a few state. One of them regularly used to work the I-295 Corridor near Hopewell, VA. The speed limit is 70mph. He told me no one he worked with EVER pulled anyone at less than 12 mph over - which is 82mph and most of his tickets were 90mph PLUS.

I think law enforcement and speed enforcement varies GREATLY (like most states in my experience) by locality. I rarely hear of anyone getting tickets for 10mph over. The only exception would be school zones - and I'm okay with that personally.

As for "Draconian" laws - I'll take VA over many other states where taxes are higher, and many other things we take for granted in VA - that are illegal in other states.

Of course Northern VA is an exception. I took a pretty substantial pay cut years ago to NOT have to drive / work in the NOVA area. If I was a police officer there, I'd go crazy pulling idiots over.

urkmywrld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang EcoBoost 2.3L
That is why I got myself a Silver Ignot so that I could just blend in :D

sublimaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Cigs anywhere...booze is a state run black market (ABC stores).

As for speeding laws - I have more than a few acquaintances who are law enforcement. Some local, a few state. One of them regularly used to work the I-295 Corridor near Hopewell, VA. The speed limit is 70mph. He told me no one he worked with EVER pulled anyone at less than 12 mph over - which is 82mph and most of his tickets were 90mph PLUS.

I think law enforcement and speed enforcement varies GREATLY (like most states in my experience) by locality. I rarely hear of anyone getting tickets for 10mph over. The only exception would be school zones - and I'm okay with that personally.

As for "Draconian" laws - I'll take VA over many other states where taxes are higher, and many other things we take for granted in VA - that are illegal in other states.

Of course Northern VA is an exception. I took a pretty substantial pay cut years ago to NOT have to drive / work in the NOVA area. If I was a police officer there, I'd go crazy pulling idiots over.
Without a doubt, law enforcement varies by locality. More specifically, it depends on the individual officer as well as the situation. I agree that violations in school zones should be "zero tolerance". I think any parent would agree with that. But during my 4 years of living in Virginia, I found law enforcement to be more stringent overall, compared to everywhere else I've lived. Add to that the fact that some of VA state laws are just stupid, and a total money grab for the local and state coffers.

As far as taxes goes, I'll happily do without a state income tax here in Texas :cool:

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Without a doubt, law enforcement varies by locality. More specifically, it depends on the individual officer as well as the situation. I agree that violations in school zones should be "zero tolerance". I think any parent would agree with that. But during my 4 years of living in Virginia, I found law enforcement to be more stringent overall, compared to everywhere else I've lived. Add to that the fact that some of VA state laws are just stupid, and a total money grab for the local and state coffers.

As far as taxes goes, I'll happily do without a state income tax here in Texas :cool:
Oh yeah - Texas is one of the few states I would move to. I'm never going further North than I am now. Not to mention I can't stand cold weather.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Vato

Vato

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Saleen White Label
Vehicle Showcase
So now I’m being a good boy on the road. Last night I’m on the fast lane with the flow of traffic going approximately 75. Going just a few mph faster than the guy next to me. I could see he was looking at the stang. So I keep my speed to let him check it out. There are cars everywhere on the freeway at 8pm. Some guy comes up real fast on my 6. At first I thought it was someone raging. I move over and he moves over. Now I’m thinking police? He hangs behind me for a minute. Comes around my left flies by me. He wasn’t even local police. Some other town cop. I respect police officers for what they face everyday but that was a jerk move. I sense having this kind of car is what attracts the jerks. Is it envy? Is it hate? I’m glad I didn’t get a ticket but then again I don’t believe that was this officers plan. That’s abuse of power. He might of had a bad day and maybe that made him feel good. Whatever.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I've never understood any of this. Like, there's some basic level of retardation going on with some people.

Don't go more than 5MPH over the speed limit, but have all the fun you want under that number. Accelerate hard, brake late, corner hard, but keep it to 5MPH over the limit.

You can row all the gears you want, accelerate as hard as you want, just don't break the speed limit by much.

PrimetimeKenny_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt- Mt82
I've never understood any of this. Like, there's some basic level of retardation going on with some people.

Don't go more than 5MPH over the speed limit, but have all the fun you want under that number. Accelerate hard, brake late, corner hard, but keep it to 5MPH over the limit.

You can row all the gears you want, accelerate as hard as you want, just don't break the speed limit by much.
Virginia's State Police department is by far one of the rudest and illogical agencies I have ever had to deal with. When I was doing undergrad at ODU, I was pulled over in my ragtag E36 M3 because of not mounting a front license plate. I tried to explain that Norfolk ordinances do not require a front license plate and it is registered in Norfolk. I asked if they could just use discretion in assessing the situation, both troopers responded ''we don't use discretion, just enforcing the law.''

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
So now I’m being a good boy on the road. Last night I’m on the fast lane with the flow of traffic going approximately 75. Going just a few mph faster than the guy next to me. I could see he was looking at the stang. So I keep my speed to let him check it out. There are cars everywhere on the freeway at 8pm. Some guy comes up real fast on my 6. At first I thought it was someone raging. I move over and he moves over. Now I’m thinking police? He hangs behind me for a minute. Comes around my left flies by me. He wasn’t even local police. Some other town cop. I respect police officers for what they face everyday but that was a jerk move. I sense having this kind of car is what attracts the jerks. Is it envy? Is it hate? I’m glad I didn’t get a ticket but then again I don’t believe that was this officers plan. That’s abuse of power. He might of had a bad day and maybe that made him feel good. Whatever.
You have a narcissistic point of view about yourself and the world around you.

You though the guy next to you was "looking at my Stang". I'd bet you he wasn't. 98% of other drives don'tcare about what you drive. They don't care about their own car, they don't care about your car, don't care about vehicles at all. They're just transportation appliances for most.

What that cop did probably had nothing to do with you. You were in the way, and the cop was in a hurry, nothing more. He needed to get around you, that's it.

There is nothing about "having this kind of car" that is anything more than imagination. If you're speeding, and a cop sees you, it doesn't matter if you're in a Camry or a Corvette, you're in for a ticket. In fact, I have observed that we morons in fast cars get a lot of breaks and lee-way when it comes to our driving, more than the rest of traffic.

Seriously, you really post as if you think the entire world around you is "all eyes on me". They're not.

Last edited:

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic

May want to check your state laws.

§65. Drag racing and racing on public roads and certain property; exemptions
A. No person shall drive any vehicle in any race, speed competition or contest, drag race or acceleration contest, test of physical endurance, exhibition of speed or acceleration, or for the purpose of making a speed record upon the public roads in this state or upon any publicly-owned or privately-owned property to which the public's access is not prohibited, and no person shall in any manner participate in any such race, speed competition, drag race, test of physical endurance, exhibition, or attempt to make a speed record.
Sponsored