Sponsored

Another engine oil thread ... What do you use?

Which brand of engine oil do you use?

• Total voters

DanielLD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/ Jeep Rubicon HR/ RC-F
I'm impressed with Pennzoil Ultra Platinium.
There was once a day when I'd use almost anything BUT pennzoil.

BUT....Shell Oil bought Pennzoil back in 2011. They have totally reformulated Pennsoil products.
I'm especially interested in their new "Pure Plus Technology"

Proprietary process in which Shell Oil creates the oil base from pure Natural Gas.
Pennzoil claims Ultra Platinium keeps pistons and other oil lubriated parts cleaner then any other oil on the market.

Maybe some of the below is simply marketing and corporate deals...but for what its worth:

BMW used to use Castrol....since 2012 they have used relabeled Pennzoil Ultra as their "BMW brand oil"
SRT recommends Pennzoil Ultra
Ferrari recommends Pennzoil Ultra
Hennessey Performance recommends Pennzoil

Real numbers are where it counts, Right!?
The Volatility Burn Off (NOACK) [% mass loss, 250 degrees C or 482 degrees F @ 1 hour] tests are very good on Pennzoil Products.

Pennzoil Ultra at 6.6%
Quaker State Ultra (Quaker State, like Pennzoil is owned by Shell Oil) at 8.8%
Amsoil OE at 10.9%
Royal Purple at 10.9%
Mobil 1 at 10.1%
Castrol Edge at 11.1%
http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html

Here is list of conventional oils:
Pennzoil at 6.5%
Quaker State at 7.8%
Motorcraft at 15.2%
http://www.pqiamerica.com/Feb2014/consolidated5w20ALL.html
How about Viscosity Index, something no one ever talks about. Most of these oils perform subpar to cheaper oils that are formulated for certain things.
Sponsored

DanielLD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
Amsoil SS 5-20 here with their filter too. Used to be a Mobil 1 guy, but since they changed to not true full synthetic no more for me. First change at 1,185 miles second at 6,000 miles (5,000 on the oil). Blackstone UOA said stick with 5,000 mile interval as it showed the engine is not finished breaking in yet. The attached shows results from both.

View attachment 16 GT-CS-170205.pdf
that's bull, I love how they put things like you should have extra iron in your life. You experienced unneeded wear. A different oil would have performed better. This oil analysis left you totally blind and will give you very little indications of the future, your insoluables at 0.2? come on that's too high for a new engine.

DanielLD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
If qsud offered the best protection its uoas would be putting amsoil etc uoas to shame. His blog has been argued to death there. Most post have shown his test to be a poor way to pick oil. There are others that have a very similar field of experience that has even said to not pick your oil based off that blog.
ok that guy realllllyyyy gets me going. Film strength has little to do in these engines. There are other bigger factors at hand. Stay away from that blog lol

DanielLD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
I don't get the obsession with 40 weights. IF someone could kindly bring me up to speed.

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 M0960; AT; Fighter Jet Gray
Just had my first oil change. I needed to get it done on a Sunday due to my schedule for the next two weeks...only place open was Brake Check so I went with their full synthetic service. I think they use Service-Pro. Any opinions on that oil? I know it is not one of the common names on here. Also, I see a lot of people using stuff other than 5W-30 which is what the manual recommends so that is what they put in. Why are some of you using other weights?

Sponsored

DanielLD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
A lot of people go to higher weights because they believe it will provide more protection. What they don't get is by going to the higher weights they often create wear prematurely and strain the engine big time. The 5.0L coyote calls for 5W-20 from Ford. If you are tracking this thing and by tracking, I'm talking about 8 hour endurance races, then a 5W30 would do well.

In regards to service pro or any other oil on here, show me the analysis or it's purely BS. You can't tell anything about oil without analyzing it, and Blackstone does not count. They mislead people on almost every analysis they do.

From my testing the following are the best performing oils for the coyote engine. I have tested each one of these oils on my own and four friends 5.0l, 15 & 16's. One of the 16's had the twin turbo kit and I believe making 950whp, which is on the higher end for this engine. The other 15 and 16's strictly had x-pipe's, exhaust and intakes done. We did everything from track days to extended drains

Group 1. RLI BioSyn, Amsoil SS, Motul 300V, Redline, Penngrade.

Group 2. M1EP, Pennzoil UP, Pennzoil P, Royal Purple.

Group 3. Valvoline, Castrol, department store house brands, motorcraft branded.

Your oil likely falls under group 3. In my testing they still performend better than a conventional oil, however they allowed more wear and power loss than group 2 and 1.

SR56

Threads
Reaction score
Website
seanrooney.realtor
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
You can't tell anything about oil without analyzing it, and Blackstone does not count. They mislead people on almost every analysis they do.

From my testing the following are the best performing oils for the coyote engine. I have tested each one of these oils on my own and four friends 5.0l, 15 & 16's. One of the 16's had the twin turbo kit and I believe making 950whp, which is on the higher end for this engine. The other 15 and 16's strictly had x-pipe's, exhaust and intakes done. We did everything from track days to extended drains

Your oil likely falls under group 3. In my testing they still performend better than a conventional oil, however they allowed more wear and power loss than group 2 and 1.
How did you test?

DanielLD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
Driving a 5,000 mile interval and getting back data from the particular oil.

Looking at the FTIR analysis of the oil, sheer rates, viscosity indexes, fuel dilution, combustion dynamic, particle counts, analytical ferrographies all stuff Blackstone can not and wouldn't know how to do.

Was it a controlled bench top study? No, but it was good enough for me to make determinations to categorize the oils in certain groups. I don't like lab testing as we've found it usually is quite different from the real world testing.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
What they don't get is by going to the higher weights they often create wear prematurely and strain the engine big time.
How so? In what way does a 5w30 cause more wear?

If you are tracking this thing and by tracking, I'm talking about 8 hour endurance races, then a 5W30 would do well.
It doesn't take 8 hours of constant acceleration to get the oil to near 300* temps. And at that point even a 5w30 is probably thinner than a stock oil at 212*. So a thicker viscosity oil is pretty much needed for any sort of racing where you see more than 15-20 minute sessions.

Sponsored

Bill88stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt 6 speed manual
I ask about the 0w2 because at my toyota dealership I work for employees get free oil changes and the oil in the shop lines is either 0w20 full synthetic or 5w20. I've been buying the motorcraft synthetic blend 5w20 bottles and putting the motorcraft filters for it. Pondering doing the synthetic 0w20 for one oil change and see how it is. Been running the same type of oil since new and car has 24k on it . Was not sure if it was too thin for the vvti's

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 M0960; AT; Fighter Jet Gray
After brake check did the change this morning I realized the manual calls for 5w20, not 30. I called them back and they said they would switch it but they do 30 because it provides more protection (their opinion). I won't be going back there, but how big of a deal is this? It is my daily driver, and I do a more spirited drive usually on the weekend.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
After brake check did the change this morning I realized the manual calls for 5w20, not 30. I called them back and they said they would switch it but they do 30 because it provides more protection (their opinion). I won't be going back there, but how big of a deal is this? It is my daily driver, and I do a more spirited drive usually on the weekend.
You're in TX where it's pretty hot right now, so just leave the 5W-30 in it ... won't hurt anything. Just make sure the oil is fully warmed up before hammering the throttle hard (true no matter what weight oil you're using).

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
A lot of people go to higher weights because they believe it will provide more protection. What they don't get is by going to the higher weights they often create wear prematurely and strain the engine big time. The 5.0L coyote calls for 5W-20 from Ford. If you are tracking this thing and by tracking, I'm talking about 8 hour endurance races, then a 5W30 would do well.

In regards to service pro or any other oil on here, show me the analysis or it's purely BS. You can't tell anything about oil without analyzing it, and Blackstone does not count. They mislead people on almost every analysis they do.

you do realize over seas Ford specs the coyote with 5w30. Stop it. Also there is a giant uoa thread on svt that prove the coyotes and road runners can run different weights pending what's being done with the engine.. 5w40 is needed and 5w50 in the coyote in multiple occasions with no issues. You're spreading misinformation.

DanielLD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
you do realize over seas Ford specs the coyote with 5w30. Stop it. Also there is a giant uoa thread on svt that prove the coyotes and road runners can run different weights pending what's being done with the engine.. 5w40 is needed and 5w50 in the coyote in multiple occasions with no issues. You're spreading misinformation.
You do realize I have been testing oil for Ford Performance, right? Very very rarely will 5W50 ever be needed in the 5.0L coyote.

Running 5W-30 will not hurt the engine but it is a heavier oil, for a daily driver 5W20 suits the engine better. Heavier oils strain components over time, such as oil pumps, as well as the internals. Granted not many of you will keep these cars for "long" but these strains on the components lead to power losses of the engine over time.

A case could be made for 5W40 in certain situations, but what you like everyone else on this forum fail to see is you're asking each other hey what do you think of this or that. Rather than post data from heavy indepth analysis, most analysis on the market is garbage, you guys post opinions.
Sponsored