Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

JoeySD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Vehicle(s)
16' BMW M2, 6MT, Long Beach Blue Metalic
That spoiler needs to go. I don't know what they were thinking with that.
I agree !! really hoping and wishing that there will be a "spoiler delete"
option on both Performance Pack models !!

Please Ford !!!
Sponsored

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
I went to the NYC auto show today specifically to see the 18 and this color. In some photos orange fury looks dark and others light. Either way it's like a metallic school bus yellow and I absolutely don't like it at all but my 23 year old son and his same aged friend both liked it, a lot. I guess I am just too old but also understand I really liked comp orange. This is nothing like comp orange. Overall the 18 update is fine with me. The front looks more contemporary but I think it would have looked better if they just kept the 17 design with the lowered hood. Ford reps think hp will be at least 465.
That's the second time I've seen someone say that a Ford rep gave a 465HP number. Maybe a little better info that hidden messages in the dash.

Sekhon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevrolet SS
Or maybe they are trolling :shrug:

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP N3451 2015 Focus
I like some features of the `18 while disliking others. First off, the back end is spot on better in every respect but the GT spoiler. That can be remedied with a spoiler delete and aftermarket purchase .. easy fix.

The interior is a nice change, whether an upgrade or not, remains to be seen.

The front end ... oh the front end. Ummm ... while its not hideous, I think the design dept needs to start test marketing for some of their ideas. The down-turned headlights, at least don't remind me of the Fusion. But, they also give it a "wider eyed" appearance ... not more aggressive.

The lower side scoop below the turn signals is dare I say awful. I've noticed so many manufacturers going this design route and I'm not a fan at all. Also I think they tried to play off the GT350 with the lower grill extending outward towards the front fender instead of the `15 -`17's natural line below the bumper itself. If you compare it to the GT350, you'll see the similarities in lines and design without the honeycomb. I can only refer the `18 grill as a poor man's cheap angular aftermarket GT350 version.

From certain side angles, the front overhang looks awkward or exaggerated, while other angles not so bad. I grew up with the late 60's short overhang, but with Federal mandates for bumper compliance, they have grown through the years.

It also has to be marketable to Europe and the Ecoboost buyer. Either way, we have to accept it as a progression to where the `19 or `20 redesign will end up. I'm sure the next redesign will be even more dramatic. Love it or hate it, we are stuck with it.

Sponsored

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Yea. I wish they had shortened the front overhang. Other manufactures have figured out how to do it. That being said, I have not seen the 18 in person, and from pictures I really don't think it's *that* different. 10 years from now an S550 will be an S550. Few people who are not Mustang fans are even going to notice. Mostly I am waiting to see what the final specs and pricing are on the '18 to decide if the likely several thousand $ difference is worth it. I keep cars for a long time, so a little more now to get what I want is not going to bother me. I'm inclined to wait for the '18, but an awesome deal on a '17 in Aug/Sept may change my mind.

One nice thing about the '18 is that at least for a little while, there will not be a bunch around.

newkidnik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 5.0
Idk why everyone still thinks it'll be more than 455 ... Also, every Ford rep. I've spoken with says they don't comment on future products. I highly doubt it'll be 465.

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 17 Fusion Sport, 21 GT500 CFTP
Idk why everyone still thinks it'll be more than 455 ... Also, every Ford rep. I've spoken with says they don't comment on future products. I highly doubt it'll be 465.
So you think they would just want to match the Camaro, when
it should simple to get 465? 465 gets them bragging rights now,
and still allows plenty to grow, without stepping on GT350 toes
too hard. They should at least rate 465 with PP and active exh,
even if the active exh has nothing to do with the 10 HP.

newkidnik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 5.0
Hater alert! Yea Ford is gonna do all that work to the 5.0 to just match the Camaro when next year GM can artificially bump the Camaro to 465-470 HP.
Short answer ... Yeah. Ain't gonna be 465, sorry to burst your bubble. Also likely won't outrun the Camaro unless that 10 speed is really special. The real problem, mostly an issue for the manual drivers, is an IRS that can't get off the line to save it's life.

Going DI on the 5.0 is mostly to increase fuel economy for the F150 (the volume product). This isn't a refresh because they want to add crazy power. No one WANTS to go DI. It adds complexity, cost, and potentially sacrifices reliability. This is a fuel economy play to make the powertrain less Cafe deficit.

Also, I'd avoid ordering an '18. You'll be the guinea pig for all of the issues. Even the Mustang marketing manager I spoke with said the same thing.

newkidnik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 5.0
So you think they would just want to match the Camaro, when
it should simple to get 465? 465 gets them bragging rights now,
and still allows plenty to grow, without stepping on GT350 toes
too hard. They should at least rate 465 with PP and active exh,
even if the active exh has nothing to do with the 10 HP.
455. If it turns out to be 465, great. The stage 2 Roush package claims 480, yet it couldn't outrun a stock manual 6th gen. Camaro at the track last year. Roush was testing both at the same time.

My point is that the crank number matching or beating the Camaro is pointless. There are many, many more variables at play that'll determine the quicker/faster car.

Sponsored

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
455 is I think where it will sit then the 19s will have 467-470 then we get the real refresh

Sekhon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevrolet SS
455 is I think where it will sit then the 19s will have 467-470 then we get the real refresh
That doesnt make any sense. We didnt see any HP gain between '15-'17. '18-'19 cars will be the same. 465 is a reasonable bump and I think that might be the final outcome. '20 mustang will probably have a slight increase in HP (unless they try to add turbo)

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
They said there was an increase. 10-20 sounds reasonable while keeping gas mileage up.

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Still can't get over that front end and wing no matter how many angles it's put at. I just like the wheels.
Sponsored