Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
I think 455 is too low for all the work they're doing to the motor. And not many people are mentioning the torque which is where i believe the bigger gain will be. The way I see it, the 18 got a lot of changes that people wanted or complained about. Ive seen a good amount of complaints of no low rpm torque. I think the big gain is going to be there. And even if they give the car 455 hp and 440tq will it even at least keep up with a 2 year old camaro? Wouldnt that be really dissapointing if the camaro still beats it after the mustang got a totally redesigned motor plus DI PI plus the ten speed auto? I really think the hp is gonna be closer to 470 and tq close to 440.
It does seem unlikely that Ford would go for parity at 455. If I were the marketing guy I would be pushing engineering hard for 460 minimum, and anything above that would be gravy.
Sponsored

Sekhon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevrolet SS
Why would Ford upgrade the engine again in the same gen for model year '20 when the next gen is scheduled to be unveiled in 2020 for the '21 model year? I bet the '18-'20 will remain the same powertrain-wise until the next gen is released.
I got the year wrong. i meant that the refreshed S550 engine specs will remain the same until S650 comes in.

For S650, i doubt we will see a major change in HP/TQ if ford decided to keep it NA. I think this refreshed engine will be like a test engine for the next gen mustang, kinda like how apple releases model "S" and adds on those features onto the next model iphone.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
For S650, i doubt we will see a major change in HP/TQ if ford decided to keep it NA.
Don't think there will be a NA V8 in the S650 since it's going hybrid ... but it will have "V8 like power" according to Ford.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't think there will be a NA V8 in the S650 since it's going hybrid ... but it will have "V8 like power" according to Ford.
Ford never said it was going to be only hybrid. I would be very surprised if hybrid was not just one of several engine offerings. If I was guessing I would say a base ecoboost 4, and then a GT NA V8 (probably minimally changed from the 18) and a GT hybrid that will probably outperform the V8. The long-term strategy seems to be to eliminate the NA V8 in favor of a smaller turbo+hybrid system, but they would be nuts to go all-in the first year.

Sekhon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevrolet SS
So maybe like V6 TT with battery :shrug: ?

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Ford never said it was going to be only hybrid. I would be very surprised if hybrid was not just one of several engine offerings. If I was guessing I would say a base ecoboost 4, and then a GT NA V8 (probably minimally changed from the 18) and a GT hybrid that will probably outperform the V8. The long-term strategy seems to be to eliminate the NA V8 in favor of a smaller turbo+hybrid system, but they would be nuts to go all-in the first year.
Everything I've read so far doesn't give any indication that the S650 will offer a V8 option. Guess time will tell. Personally, I think if they take the V8 away all together that it will be a sad day for the Mustang. But recall it was done once before in 1974, so it could happen again.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Why on Earth would you even think there will be a V8 Hybrid? The GT will remain exactly what it is, a NA V8.

The hybrid will be based on the 4banger EcoBoost, just like in the Fusion. The only question is if they are going hybrid only with the 4-cylinders or that the current non-hybrid version will stay on as well.

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Auto-86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 2017 Fusion Sport
Why on Earth would you even think there will be a V8 Hybrid? The GT will remain exactly what it is, a NA V8.

The hybrid will be based on the 4banger EcoBoost, just like in the Fusion. The only question is if they are going hybrid only with the 4-cylinders or that the current non-hybrid version will stay on as well.
That would make the most sense, as the guys I know, mostly older, who can easily afford a GT, don't want anything to do with a hybrid. Most just don't want the complexity, even if they are keeping it stock.

Keep the hybrid option on the low end of the price scale where the younger
buyers would be more accepting.

That said, the average age of a Mustang buyers was 52 in 14 or 15.
Maybe it's come down some since the advent of the EB, but I still
bet it's in the mid 40's (can't find updated data).

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Keep the hybrid option on the low end of the price scale where the younger buyers would be more accepting.
Doesn't the govt pay people $7k to buy a hybrid? If it does and the current administration reduces or eliminates that, a hybrid won't be a low price.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
Everything I've read so far doesn't give any indication that the S650 will offer a V8 option. Guess time will tell. Personally, I think if they take the V8 away all together that it will be a sad day for the Mustang. But recall it was done once before in 1974, so it could happen again.
I don't think we'll have to worry about that. Lots of recent V8 development, and capital expenditures. That's a Good indication it isn't going any where any time soon.

Furthermore the profit made on V8 is likely helping with the hybrid business case. GT sales have been pretty high.

While there likely isn't a huge delta between engines within the mustang now that the V6 is gone. Older more established power trains generally are more profitable.

For instance a v6 Ram costs FCA more than v8, yet they charge you for the v8.

Sponsored

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Auto-86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 2017 Fusion Sport
Doesn't the govt pay people $7k to buy a hybrid? If it does and the current administration reduces or eliminates that, a hybrid won't be a low price.
For a limited battery capacity hybrid, like the fusion, it's $4K
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxevb.shtml

And if it is close enough in price to a GT, I don't see the point of it.
The 18 will have more low end torque (supposedly) and a lower
first gear (like a 4.7 vs a 4.17 I think).

The hybrid is supposed to give you even more low end torque
than the V8? Are they fitting 325 drag radials, since the V8 cars
can't get traction now.

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
I don't think we have to worry about the V8 going away anytime soon. Its also worth pointing out that the S650 timing was pulled up from '23 to '21 MY because someone decreed it on high. There's still a good chance it'll slip back some - that's all still a ways out, and a lot can change yet.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
I don't understand why Ford is taking to long to release the power/torque numbers.
Competition is one reason. Second reason is they are still most likely testing the cars for final tunes/configurations. The car was expected to be released in the fall, they have time still. I'm betting we see official release sometime around June.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK, nothing I have read gives any indication that they will NOT offer a V8 option. All they have said is there will be a hybrid, they have not said anything about eliminating the V8. The last time they (almost) did that it didn't go so well. Again, I predict the V8 and hybrid will be offered side-by-side at first, but Ford has not said anything so wait and see.

Ericc B said:

I never said there will be a V8 hybrid. I predicted (different than "saying") that there will be an ecoboost+hybrid (maybe branded as a GT hybrid, who knows) probably between the base ecoboost and the V8 GT. It's hard to tell. Maybe Ford will put the Hybrid above the GT in the product line, but that also seems unlikely. You're right, they may just drop the base ecoboost and put the hybrid there. We just don't know. My main point is that at this time there is no indication that the V8 is being dropped in favor of the hybrid. I predict the V8 and hybrid will live side by side, at least at first.
Sponsored