Sponsored

How did you decide on the color of your GT350?

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I really racked my brain with this one. I love a black mustang, always thought that a Mustang never looked better in black, and always a head turner, my 15 GT was black, but I did not want the 350 in black. Why? Because I thought all the black trim, such as the front winglets, side skirts, center vent, and fender vents, would all blend in, and I wanted that stuff to stand out. I loved it in Metallic Grey, but my biggest problem with that is it seemed every 350 I saw was that color, with black stripes. There's a handful of 350's in my local mustang group, and they're all that same color, so why get the same thing? My next color was Race Red. Thought it was gorgeous in that color, and I'm not a fan of red cars, however I couldn't find one in that color within a 1500 mile radius that didn't have a 10k+ non-negotiable ADM. But, then I saw a picture of a 350R in black with matte stripes, and that made me fall back in love with the black. So, finally got one with no mark up, in my favorite but unwanted color, black.

(BTW, this is the picture that I saw, and ultimately what my 350 now looks like, minus the R bits)
20150605_165132 (1280x720).jpg
Sponsored

Sid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350, '68 Firebird, '17 Raptor, '18 Macan GTS
Black cars have always been my calling card. Blame Mad Max, Batman and Night Rider. My '12 GT500 was black and I thought it was the best color on that generation mustang. On the 2017 though I thought shadow black looked good but was not the best color on the non R so I went with Magnetic grey with .... black stripes of course. I'm happy with my choice.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Process of elimination

Mspeedster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue Track Pak
I've been shopping a while for a new car for myself, started way back almost 2 years ago but the wife won that one and got a 2015 Grand Cherokee.

My turn finally and I am having the hardest time deciding on a color. It's difficult, but very reassuring when every color looks fantastic to me. Some cars just have to be a certain color, but it seems like this car can pull off any paint it's offered in. That right there is what tells me this car has the right look in my eye. I had cross shopped the ZL1, but for one I don't fit, and second it really needs a couple specific colors to look decent. Just way too over the top.

Back on topic... How did everyone come to their decision on what color to get on your car? For me I've always loved and wanted a car in a really deep color. Not necessarily dark, but paint with depth. I used to have a silver LS1 Camaro and no matter how much I waxed it, the thing just looked bland.

Grabber blue really keeps me coming back. I've never looked closely in person but online it looks spectacular. Lightning blue, ruby red, and magnetic are all in the running too. The rest look amazing as well but I had to narrow it down to something. White looks awesome with the contrasting black parts but the wife's Jeep is already black and I want something a little more exciting in the color department.

So how did y'all make up your mind? Car shows, roaming from dealer to dealer, or did one just call your name?
If depth is what you're after, I definitely recommend one of the metallic colors.

I'm very pleased with how deep my Deep Impact Blue is. In my case the decision was easy. I always loved how great the last gen GT500 looked in DIB with white stripes, so it was my top choice from the start. When I heard it was being discontinued for '17, I wanted DIB even more.

But if I were buying a '17, the decision would've been much harder. Lightning is nice, but a little too popular. I'd lean towards Grabber, it's more unique and only available for the 17 model year. I prefer colors that aren't so ubiquitous.

Also, I never buy a color based on pics alone. Always best to see it in person.

GForensic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Mach 1/GT500 Owner
I've been shopping a while for a new car for myself, started way back almost 2 years ago but the wife won that one and got a 2015 Grand Cherokee.

My turn finally and I am having the hardest time deciding on a color. It's difficult, but very reassuring when every color looks fantastic to me. Some cars just have to be a certain color, but it seems like this car can pull off any paint it's offered in. That right there is what tells me this car has the right look in my eye. I had cross shopped the ZL1, but for one I don't fit, and second it really needs a couple specific colors to look decent. Just way too over the top.

Back on topic... How did everyone come to their decision on what color to get on your car? For me I've always loved and wanted a car in a really deep color. Not necessarily dark, but paint with depth. I used to have a silver LS1 Camaro and no matter how much I waxed it, the thing just looked bland.

Grabber blue really keeps me coming back. I've never looked closely in person but online it looks spectacular. Lightning blue, ruby red, and magnetic are all in the running too. The rest look amazing as well but I had to narrow it down to something. White looks awesome with the contrasting black parts but the wife's Jeep is already black and I want something a little more exciting in the color department.

So how did y'all make up your mind? Car shows, roaming from dealer to dealer, or did one just call your name?
For me it's Ruby Red. If you want a car that is really deep in color this is it! It's absolutely amazing in the sunlight. The color explodes and is deep and rich. I owned a Ruby Red GT California which I just got rid of for a 2017 GT350 in Ruby Red. There are a lot of great colors but for me this color is killer! Good Luck!!

These are borrowed from another thread but look at the Ruby Red thread. Lots of great pictures. Just bought mine last week so once she is all shined up I will post some pictures.

:thumbsup:

IMG_0864.jpeg

gallery_1598_45_517075.jpg

Sponsored

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
i was back and forth on colors, but I knew would be limited to get one at MSRP. I found one in Georgia in Red and I was going to pick it up on vacation. If it was gone, I was going to order one from them and I was thinking black or lightning blue. I have had lots of black cars. I was in a comp orange at the time, but I knew that color was super rare. I didn't really want to go from CO to another CO either. When I got call from local dealer for MSRP last day of the month, I didn't hesitate to go check it out. They had three 350s in stock, but only two at MSRP. The R was 50K over. So, I had the choice of track black or AG with black stripes. I wanted the leather and big screen. AG had previously caught my eye in person at my servicing dealership. I really loved it. It was a tough choice of color before, but only having a choice of one of two made it easy.

AG gets so many compliments in person. :hail: Pictures never do it justice. Some ask if its custom paint. I find people in traffic next to me staring at it. Their eyes seem to be looking at the GT350 signage area. I'm sure they go home and google the hell out of it.

:cheers:

KenF

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT350
It was easy for me I've always loved blue cars and the Lightning Blue on this car is such an amazing color. The only other one for me that came close with the Ruby Red for it's depth, metallic look, and changing colors in different light. That being said I really am not a red fan so Blue it was. I haven't been disappointed yet, hell there are days I literally just go in the garage and stand there staring at it for awhile. Color always gets compliments and just looks fantastic. In the end I choose what my first gut response was, did that with the car when I was shopping for vehicles and did it with the color when I had to choose. So when you decided on a GT350 what color called to you strongest and first when looking? That's probably the one you want.

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
Easy for me. My local dealer only had an AG in stock :)

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
Originally, if I was going to order a 2016, race red would have been my color. I saw it in person at GT350 Track Tour with no stripes, and it was amazing. A little background, before I had my Boss 302, I had Mystichrome. That color was amazing....but the downside of it is (among other things) worry, and maintenance. As time goes on I find I enjoy washing and waxing less than I like driving. After the Mystichrome, I wanted a "normal" color that was easy-a lighter color that didn't look dirty after sitting in the garage for 24 hrs...so I picked race red on the boss 302. I was happy with it from a looks/maintenance standpoint, but I did find the stripes to be a pain to wax/detail around. A color I always wished ford made available on mustang was "blue flame" (f150 raptor). As I failed to secure a 2016, I knew a few things. I knew I liked race red, and I knew I was going without stripes...and In my opinion, there are some colors that can stand on their own without stripes, and some that need stripes..so this greatly shortened the list for me.....fast forward to when the new colors were released. Those pics of lightning blue sold me! of course, at the time there were no vehicles around in that color to see in person. As soon as I saw the color sample at the dealer (8.5 x 11) I knew it was the color I wanted....and I'm happy I did. I'm not totally against stripes, but part of me wishes the stripes on the new cars were solid. I really like the idea of a matte black stripe on lightning blue. I don't care too much for the pinstriping. Not a knock on anyone, just explaining how I made my decision :)

17SHLB350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Had a few colors on my list...GB, LB,OW,MG, AG, Race R. Wasn't fan of Ruby or black. what it came down to was a local dealer had an OW e-package with blue stripes at MSRP.

Sponsored

cattivo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Geno
Vehicle(s)
17GT350
I wanted an AG with white stripes which was 200 miles away from me. They were asking a crazy $25K ADM! I wanted it so badly I was willing to pay $5k ADM even though I was dead set against paying more than MSRP. Next, I wanted a Grabber Blue with white stripes that was about 300 miles away. They wanted $10k ADM, but eventually I talked them down to MSRP, but, it was on the no sale list. So, I ended up with the bird in the hand and took the only GT350 my local dealer had, a Magnetic for MSRP. He originally was looking for $10k ADM.

As was stated, luckily these cars look great in any color, so the MG has grown on me. That being said, my top three favorite colors are AG, RR, and GB...honorable mention to CO.

bretlasalle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R
To be frank, I love AG, but thought it was a color that looks great in the short run (not sure how it'll look in 10-20 years)... So when I purchased my base GT350, I was stoked to go with AG, black stripes, black roof. However, when I was ready to buy my GT350R, I was confident that I would keep the car forever so I was looking for more of a traditional color. Not a huge fan of white, so the black/black stripes was a pretty simple choice. I also considered race red (as it looks amazing on the GT350).

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
My best advice is to go to a Ford dealer and look at the colors on other Mustangs at two or more different times of day--especially bright sunlight and at dusk--and see what stands out to you when you see them in person, on a Mustang.

Personally, I NEVER would have picked Magnetic just based on seeing pictures online, but seeing it in person, at dusk... WOW. Made up my mind right then & there. I suspect I'd feel the same about Ruby Red (not offered in 2016 though). Tough choice!

CaptainUnderpants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray Shelby GT350
Every buyer (probably) went through your experience. It is a tough decision and one you'll have to live with for a while. Some of the thoughts I had...

What's my favorite color? (blue)
Do I want the classic scheme? (white with blue stripes)
Is it a "ticket me" color? (Red was out for me though I like the look, this one is debateable and probably not very important)
How am I going to feel about the color in a year or two or more? (AG was on the short list but I decided it would get old for me)
Does the color cost extra? (Yellow)

In the end I narrowed it down to blue/white or white/blue and started searching.

Good luck with your decision!
Good questions to start with.

A big factor for me was "Ticketable Color". I drive very quickly quite often and don't want to be obvious. So NO STRIPES and a Low Key Color was critical for me.

I love blue and white cars, and really loved both White/blue, Blue/White combos. Especially the White with Blue stripes, just so Classic! But can't afford to look racy. This lead me to consider a white car without stripes, but this was boring. Adding the black roof added some flair and took away a plain Jane look.

Finally I had two designer friends review the color options, one was an Pasadena Art Center (auto design) Grad. After a trip to the local dealers to see the colors in person, their opinion was Hands Down the Avalanche Gray and a black roof. Without their input I probably would have gone White, no stripes black roof.

And that is where I settled, AG without Stripes, add Black Roof. It has the right combination of being quietly sinister! Fortunately I was able to find one in Oregon at MSRP.

But as others have said, the car is great in any color combo.

Last edited:

Cfirekirch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I love the understated and unique look of AG, it goes will with the bold lines of the car and offsets the back trim/wheels. Also the fact that it's only available on the GT350 and Raptor and no longer available on the 18's, I feel will make it more rare. I haven't seen all of the colors in person, but I'm sure they are all great.
Sponsored