Rattle/Static noise from shifter/boot area

BulletprfVest

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Magnetic, 6MT
I have a 16 GT MT(Stock except for Roush AB) and have a rattle noise that almost sounds like static(like high-frequency plastic on metal) coming from the shifter area, I think under the boot. Comes on when accelerating or even revving in neutral at times; mainly when it's cool out(<50). I think the plastic lever on the reverse lockout under the boot is probably the culprit, but I haven't been able to confirm. Don't think it's anything serious, but it is super annoying!

Anyone else had this issue? What did you/dealer do about it?

Thanks!
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Pull up the collar when the noise can be heard. The GT350's have this issue at high rpm.
Ford probably could have added some padding between the collar and the shifter shaft.

OP
OP
BulletprfVest

BulletprfVest

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
I have tried this. Seems to deaden the noise a little, but it doesn't go away. Agree there should be something there.

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I have a 16 GT MT(Stock except for Roush AB) and have a rattle noise that almost sounds like static(like high-frequency plastic on metal) coming from the shifter area, I think under the boot. Comes on when accelerating or even revving in neutral at times; mainly when it's cool out(<50). I think the plastic lever on the reverse lockout under the boot is probably the culprit, but I haven't been able to confirm. Don't think it's anything serious, but it is super annoying!

Thanks!
Hello BulletprfVest,

Have you brought your vehicle in to your Ford Dealer to get it checked out? If not, you should make an appointment with them as soon as possible. Also, please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number. I’ll loop in the customer service manager for your area.

Deysha

OP
OP
BulletprfVest

BulletprfVest

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
PM'd. Thank you!

Sponsored

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP

Thanks!
Had the same problem, switched to a boomba short shifter and the noise is gone!

OP
OP
BulletprfVest

BulletprfVest

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
Had the same problem, switched to a boomba short shifter and the noise is gone!
Thinking the same! Just want to have it looked at first to make sure it's not anything more than what I suspect

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I believe I have the same thing only difference is theres a high freq buzz through the clutch when shifting along with the scraping/scratching sound around the shifter. Oh and it only does it 1-2 and sometimes 2-3. I can hear the sound during the entire shifting process. Cold/hot doesnt matter. Ive already been turned away once. Feel mine is more than a nuisance. Almost like its doing damage or a bearing is bad. Ford Rep has my info to escalate when I find time to get it in again.

Same as you Roush AB is all.

Update: Jasonstang is a genius! I tried the collar during a first gear slow acceleration and when the noise started i pulled up...... noise was gone. I tried to do it while shifting as the noise is constant during the clutch in process but its difficult to do or it wont let me shift from first to second holding the collar up. Either or I am 80% positive this is the noise. It really sounded like it was a clutch or tranny issue. Now If I can figure out the buzz in pedal all is well. Anyhow a MGW is on the list. Oh how these fed notes fly.
Sponsored

Last edited: