Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Alright got your panties on guys. Looks like broken oil pump gears, big surprise right.

f0d484c0a6cb000e5f78e60f655fe287_zpszejarsul.jpg

OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Damn. Where was the missing piece found?
Nothing missing it came out when I took the first pic.

Complete broken gear.

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Ok. What's the plan now?

I guess I'm replacing now also and trying to hold off for a winter project. I had faith as well sticking with the stock setup but this changes everything.

Sponsored

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
I realize the aftermarket parts are stronger (obviously), but how are they stronger? Are they made out of a higher grade steel?

OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Very suprised filter is clean, maybe one flake.

TheHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Performance Pack
I guess I will have to do this when the weather cools off. Does the blower have to come off for this?

OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
I realize the aftermarket parts are stronger (obviously), but how are they stronger? Are they made out of a higher grade steel?
The after market gears are made with hardened steel, yes they are much stronger.
I guess I will have to do this when the weather cools off. Does the blower have to come off for this?
No the Whipple does not have to come off.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
They are made of billet steel.

Sponsored

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
That picture of the oil pump with the inner gear removed shows a pretty big flake of broken material sitting there. Think about the rpm that crank was spinning and those broken edges rubbing together, filter probably won't show anything as the pressure was lost and any bearing damage wouldn't get to the filter. I really hope that you are going to tear that engine down good luck.

On another note I don't know why some people are surprised that the gears can break it has been a known issue since the early S197 days. It's a shame that the OP had to bite the bullet for others to benefit from it.

dev1360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 S550
They're made from a softer steel that allows for flexing instead of breaking. They're still hard enough on the surface to do what they need, but they're pliable enough to not snap when they get shocked.

Charlie M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 gt
Would anyone know a shop in the chicagoland area or in IL that can do this install (OPG/CG). I do all the work on my car myself but now a days I have a time constraint due to work. I got quoted $2600 for the job, that's way too high for me and I'd rather take some time off work and do it myself if I can't find a place. Sorry don't mean to hijack the thread lol.
Speed inc

FusionGT

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT PP / Jeep TJ
Damn. I was hoping it wasn't the opg. I WILL be replacing opg/cg once I decide on a means of fi. Good to see that not much damage has been done. Clean it up and put her back together ! Was one of those guys who wasn't going to replace.
Sponsored