OPG FAILED last night, street car.

BrazukaV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlo
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt PP
I realize the aftermarket parts are stronger (obviously), but how are they stronger? Are they made out of a higher grade steel?
Got this pic from boundary site.

There is no comparison between billet steel used by Boundary and powdered steel used in OEM oil pumps. OEM oil pumps use a "cost efficient technique" called sintering because its cheap and produces tighter tolerances then casting. However powdered steel is even weaker then castings at only about 6000 PSI of strength. Good billet steels like the one that Boundary uses approach 110,000 PSI in yield strength or around 18 times stronger then OEM sintered steel.
image.jpeg
Sponsored

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
In line vote on this ?:
A. Drop pan (not panties)?
B. Check a rod bearing?
C. Check a crank bearing?
D. All of the above
E. Stop and just order another motor since trying to run this one does not seem like a worth while learning experience or cost effective?

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
As I get ready to plan my winter mod fest on my 17' auto build I will need to make a decision on what brand OPG & TS to get. I know MMR, TSS and Boundary make them but I would like to know who has the best ones? I get all of them would work but on a scale of 1-3 what is the order of what brand you would buy?

BrazukaV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlo
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt PP
As I get ready to plan my winter mod fest on my 17' auto build I will need to make a decision on what brand OPG & TS to get. I know MMR, TSS and Boundary make them but I would like to know who has the best ones? I get all of them would work but on a scale of 1-3 what is the order of what brand you would buy?
I would like to know also. But no one seems to have an answer to that. Boundary says their opg is 18 times stronger than the oem one. Is that strong enough to not shatter them if your going to stay under 1000hp? Is the mmr stronger? I lm ready to buy opg and tg. Would like to save 120 bucks if they are all about the same.

Sponsored

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Id use the mmr ones. At least we know they have gone 6s in the 1/4th on theirs in their current coyote engine. My other choice would be Mpr's.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I would like to know also. But no one seems to have an answer to that. Boundary says their opg is 18 times stronger than the oem one. Is that strong enough to not shatter them if your going to stay under 1000hp? Is the mmr stronger? I lm ready to buy opg and tg. Would like to save 120 bucks if they are all about the same.
You are probably going to run the MMR crank gear so why not run their OPG ? MMR races what they sell enough said.

Phoenix

Instagram: PhoenixNFA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech AvGrey/Black Stripes
MMR in mine. daily driven, many hits. even at the track on good slicks too.

toss a three sided coin, they are probably all good enough.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Prolly cant go wrong. I went TSS opg for their history supporting Ford community: 2V, 3V, 4Valve, etc. Never heard one fail in past 2 decades.
And TSS crew is in Texas so...
I am MMR on TG.
OPG are likely all made using same process like wire EDM? Combined with precision face grinding? They are all way tougher vs stock sintered metal.

Sponsored

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
There was a big debate about which process is better MMR claims cnc cutting the gears is better and TSS claims wire cutting is better. They are both made out of the same material just a different way of finishing the machining of the gears.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Huh, thats interesting... Strange wording on MMRs part since both processes are CNC controlled? :doh:Would it make more sense for MMR to say they grind them on a XXX Thielenhaus with surface control via a XXY Supfina Grieshaber superfinisher? Is MMR saying they build these in house?
I dont care either way and run a couple MMR parts.

:ninja:If you really wanted to know you can send a set of each off to be scanned on a laser deck. Have them hardness tested, sectioned, etched, micrographed and SEM and maybe Instrom to get residual grain boundary stress, metal composition, heat treatment/forging, intermetallics, alloy chemistry, yield/tensile, etc. Lol, youd prolly find out they came from the exact freakn same manufacturer and they just rebranded them. :thumbsup:

Total BS speculation here. I could be wrong, but the expertise, machinery and upkeep to build these parts likely demands a constant stream of high volume production work requiring this specific core competency. Meaning, you likely dont want to buy these parts from anyone that is making occasional ultra high tolerance but low volume production in house outside of their core competency. Lol, if a neuro surgeon offers to pull a tooth for you, prolly best to decline and go see an orthodontist or dentist. Its not that they are not smart enough to do it, its just that the result is likely superior from someone whos daily core competency is that exact task.

Last edited:

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
I know it sucks for the OP but I think this thread and his misfortune has helped a lot of people, including myself, make the smart choice and upgrade the OPG. I just finished my OPG and Whipple install and I feel much more relaxed about my motor staying together. Thank goodness for these forums and people sharing information. Thank you OP and best of luck with this endeavor.

dev1360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 S550
You can't go wrong with any of the brands of OPGs. I avoid supporting MMR. Fortunately, TSS now makes a timing sprocket, so you don't have to use any MMR parts if you don't want to.

Having researched and spoken personally to the owner of Boundary, I'd encourage a call to them to discuss some of your concerns. They're very helpful.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Always good to have options but sometimes having too many just confuses the issue, makes it more complicated than it needs to be. In this situation ask yourself 1 question has there been a failure with either of these companies OPG if the answer is no then go with the one you feel comfortable with.
Sponsored