SD_GT

4-Banger
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nope
Vehicle(s)
Red.
I was using the line lock feature earlier tonight and the car jumped forward very aggressively at the beginning of the burnout and I immediately shut down. However, now when I put the car in gear it barely lurches forward and feels like the brakes are applied. The car will not rev past 2k rpm and barely creeps. Clutch pedal feel is consistent and the transmission let's me shift through the gears normally. What gives? Is this a blown diff, axle or stuck brake calipers? Seems to be one thing after another for me.. Haha

Also, another funny thing to note - I can put the car in first with no throttle and it won't stall. There's a whining/grinding noise coming somewhere in the rear.
Sponsored

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
Will it roll in neutral? Is it a torsen or standard diff.

OP
OP
SD_GT

SD_GT

4-Banger
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nope
Vehicle(s)
Red.
I should also note that there are no warning lights or indicators on the dash.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
I can put the car in first with no throttle and it won't stall. There's a whining/grinding noise coming somewhere in the rear.
While I cant really comment on your exact predicament without seeing/hearing the car, the above statement is not a good sign.

I had the same issue when I blew my transmission in my old 300ZX.

Sponsored

Jonspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had a similar issue. I was racing and snapped the two most rear diff bolts that secure it to the subframe, causing the diff to sag down and the axles laying on the frame. You can roll forward, but you wont be able to drive due to grinding, clunking. I tore the axles boots and all.

Needed 2 new bolts, and bought new axles while i was at it.

Good luck.

OP
OP
SD_GT

SD_GT

4-Banger
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nope
Vehicle(s)
Red.
While I cant really comment on your exact predicament without seeing/hearing the car, the above statement is not a good sign.

I had the same issue when I blew my transmission in my old 300ZX.
Ouch! Not what I wanted to hear. If the transmission was blown, wouldn't it give me trouble rowing through the gears?

I had a similar issue. I was racing and snapped the two most rear diff bolts that secure it to the subframe, causing the diff to sag down and the axles laying on the frame. You can roll forward, but you wont be able to drive due to grinding, clunking. I tore the axles boots and all.

Good luck.
I took some time to look under car and saw no leaking fluids or anything sagging per se'. Car's being towed to Ford now. I'm googling what I can, but it seems no one else is having the same issue.

Jonspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The diff will look like it isnt sagging but it shifts low enough for the axles to lay on the frame. First pic shows the bolt that is no longer there due to it snapping, and the second shows a pic from the rear how it sat after they snapped. As you can see both bolts are missing. (Look at the black circle openings up top)

You may have gotten lucky and not torn your axle boots

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
If it rolls in neutral with no noise from the rear end it's probably something in that trans either a gear or clutch problem. Whatever it is doesn't sound good I hope the warranty will cover it but idk.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP

Good luck.
Just curious but what type of racing was involved? Are you a casual track day type of guy, amateur, semi-pro or professional?

Ouch! Not what I wanted to hear. If the transmission was blown, wouldn't it give me trouble rowing through the gears?
Absolutely. My situation was a blown gear box. However a blown diff will behave very similarly. You'll get the metal noise without movement. Yours sounds like a rear diff just due to your description of the location.

Good luck bud and keep us posted.

Sponsored
OP
OP
SD_GT

SD_GT

4-Banger
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nope
Vehicle(s)
Red.
Just took a video of the loud whining noise I'm hearing. I went back to check on the car and now when I put it in gear it just rolls forward on it's own, even in reverse with the clutch all the way out. It shifts perfectly smoothly through the gears with the car on and off. I'll be posting the video shortly depicting the noise.

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
I blew 3rd gear out in my t5 and it would go into every gear position but it was clanking around inside and it would roll cause i coasted to the house snapped it on a straight pull in 3rd on my road luckily i knew what happened the moment it snapped 560hp on a t5 was not the best idea haha...:ford:

OP
OP
SD_GT

SD_GT

4-Banger
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nope
Vehicle(s)
Red.
I blew 3rd gear out in my t5 and it would go into every gear position but it was clanking around inside and it would roll cause i coasted to the house snapped it on a straight pull in 3rd on my road luckily i knew what happened the moment it snapped 560hp on a t5 was not the best idea haha...:ford:
Hahahah. Hey, at least you knew what happened. It's weird though, I have no issues running through any of the gears.