Vehicle Showcase
Need pics
Sponsored

Bob99b5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2007 Mustang GT convertible
did he say anything about direct injection?
I didn't ask and a lot of this came in a long conversation with winks and nods and smokes and comments rather than a direct dump of info. They need to protect their jobs you know. I spoke to the owner of a major dealer last week when the turbo rumors were flying and while he wasn't too aware of the mustang future plans (kind of clueless actually), he didn't think turbo was in the cards. I'm going to SEMA in November so hopefully I can get invited to so Ford events and get some more info over drinks. ;)

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I'd be surprised by a turbo V8 in any Ford vehicle before there is a turbo V6 in a mustang.

Bob99b5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2007 Mustang GT convertible
I'd be surprised by a turbo V8 in any Ford vehicle before there is a turbo V6 in a mustang.
I'm also surprised that a Mustang could have more power than the GT supercar. But everyone is saying ford will have a Hellcat challenger (no pun intended!). The problem I see is that a loaded Mustang GT will mow be tickeling $50K and a full blown Shelby will be $70K plus huge ADM with wildly limited availability.

moubayed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
I do believe that in 2011, the Mustang was rumored to receive DI. Isnt it possible that this might now get integrated in the refreshed 2018 Mustang GT?

direct injection.jpg

Sponsored

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I'm also surprised that a Mustang could have more power than the GT supercar. But everyone is saying ford will have a Hellcat challenger (no pun intended!). The problem I see is that a loaded Mustang GT will mow be tickeling $50K and a full blown Shelby will be $70K plus huge ADM with wildly limited availability.
That does completely surprise me.

The Ford GT has a lot of engineering tech to it the completely increases the cost. Plus it's completely a "one off" platform and doesn't share anything with other ford cars.

The GT500 is built on a platform that has already paid for its R&D since 2015 through present. Making a few performance changes and adding huge power to chassis that already exists is easier and cheaper than building a completely new super car.

Plus it will take a lot more power than what Ford is rumored to give the GT500 to muscle past the GT in most racing standards minus drag racing. The GT500 may take it in that one category.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Most of what we already suspect was confirmed to me today by a ford insider: exterior fascia changes, increased power, 10 speed auto, new infotainent and displays, magnetorehological shocks, and dual mode exhaust. What the person would not confirm was a Mach 1, the continuation or cancellation of the GT350, supercharger vs. turbocharger on the GT500, or the 2018 job 1 date. The person did say GT500 would beat Hellcat though.
I hope some of the things you mentioned like MagnaRide are optional equipment, otherwise the Mustang will have the same sales struggle as the Camaro if they start reaching near 50k for a loaded standard GT. Did he give anymore detail about the infotainment and displays? If they do put something like the Delphi concept into production as standard equipment or part of the Premium model, I can see prices going up fast.
Delphi interior below. Interestingly, most of the stories and reports about this concept interior from CES 2016 have been pulled down, including Ford's official press release. Maybe they're trying to make it a surprise for the 2018 model for those that missed the news at CES?
attachment.jpg

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I'd like to see if any of that instrument interior could be retrofitted.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Will they release a Bullitt model?
Opinions are split. Some think the Bullitt isn't relevant enough today for them to make it. Nobody remembers who Steve McQueen is, etc. They cite the fact that the 08 Bullitt missed it's sales targets and many 2008s had to be turned into 2009 models. Others, like myself, think that there's plenty in the Ford parts bin to make a cool 50th Anniversary Bullitt as a final hurrah for the 2018 model year. It would be cheap and easy to put together and could even be as simple as an appearance package or could be made as a nice stepping stone between a regular GT and a Mach 1, GT350 or whatever is the more expensive Mustang next year, with a few Ford Performance parts (think the new Power Packs Ford just released, only factory installed). The 08 Bullitt was revealed in the fall of 2007 so I think if they do end up doing one, we still might not see it for another year or so.

martin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost; coupe; guard; dark-saddle; MT; PP; Nav;
The Fusion 2017 freshen I think has worsened the front, from Aston Martin like to Fiesta like. I ferry he same might be in store for the Mustang

Sponsored

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Opinions are split. Some think the Bullitt isn't relevant enough today for them to make it. Nobody remembers who Steve McQueen is, etc. They cite the fact that the 08 Bullitt missed it's sales targets and many 2008s had to be turned into 2009 models. Others, like myself, think that there's plenty in the Ford parts bin to make a cool 50th Anniversary Bullitt as a final hurrah for the 2018 model year. It would be cheap and easy to put together and could even be as simple as an appearance package or could be made as a nice stepping stone between a regular GT and a Mach 1, GT350 or whatever is the more expensive Mustang next year, with a few Ford Performance parts (think the new Power Packs Ford just released, only factory installed). The 08 Bullitt was revealed in the fall of 2007 so I think if they do end up doing one, we still might not see it for another year or so.
The Bullitt is an interesting idea but I agree there may not be enough interest to make one.

Given the fact we're barely 3 years into a complete redesign I'm not expecting any major changes styling wise. But I do think Ford will focus on new trim packages like maybe a Bullitt or Mach One. At the very least I'm sure we'll see some of the current performance pack options integrated into the GT's and Ecoboost.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Most of what we already suspect was confirmed to me today by a ford insider: exterior fascia changes, increased power, 10 speed auto, new infotainent and displays, magnetorehological shocks, and dual mode exhaust. What the person would not confirm was a Mach 1, the continuation or cancellation of the GT350, supercharger vs. turbocharger on the GT500, or the 2018 job 1 date. The person did say GT500 would beat Hellcat though.
Given your location........can I assume Tasca Ford? In which case, I'd assume that's good info. Tasca pretty much kicked off the "Total Performance" era for Ford in the 60's and, right now, I reckon we're as close to those glory days again as we'll ever be!

:)

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
Will they release a Bullitt model?
It would most probably just be an appearance package car. I don't see the point unless the styling is truly distinctive and appealing.

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
If this is true I'll definitely be rethinking the GT350 purchase.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
The Bullitt is an interesting idea but I agree there may not be enough interest to make one.

Given the fact we're barely 3 years into a complete redesign I'm not expecting any major changes styling wise. But I do think Ford will focus on new trim packages like maybe a Bullitt or Mach One. At the very least I'm sure we'll see some of the current performance pack options integrated into the GT's and Ecoboost.
The last Bullit was just an appearance package available in Black or Green with badges, grill, and louvers. Not much for performance; that's why it was unpopular.
Sponsored