Expert in Opinions
Threads
Reaction score
Worfelden, Germany by way of Sheboygan, WI USA
Vehicle(s)
2016 Avalanche Gray GT350
Hey guys,
Preface: I'm in Germany.
So, I hit limp mode this morning for the first time. I'm working night shift and on Sunday mornings the roads are empty. Using Mytracks app I found that after 6 minutes of normal warmup time, I hit it.. 4 minutes later I hit limp mode. Ambient temps were high 60's. I was running in 5th in the 130-150mph range with a couple trips to high 160s and the MyTracks app showed 172 as the top. :thumbsup:

I'm here because I can't imagine hitting transmission temps that fast. Are there any other parameters that will cause limp mode? Oil temps were around 220 I think. Odd thing is that it happened the moment I hit the rev limiter in 5th. (which I think happened before 8200, hard to tell, lots going on so it could have been the limp mode kicking in..)

I have an Nguage and will put it in the car now, I assume I can log data in it, though I haven't looked into it and don't really have time to get into it.

Would this be useful to anyone or anything else I can do be useful? I can get through the twisties quickly as well for some 'research'.. I mean.. twist my arm...

As a side note, it pulled hard to 170.. too bad 6th is so long..

shane
Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Hey guys,
Preface: I'm in Germany.
So, I hit limp mode this morning for the first time. I'm working night shift and on Sunday mornings the roads are empty. Using Mytracks app I found that after 6 minutes of normal warmup time, I hit it.. 4 minutes later I hit limp mode. Ambient temps were high 60's. I was running in 5th in the 130-150mph range with a couple trips to high 160s and the MyTracks app showed 172 as the top. :thumbsup:

I'm here because I can't imagine hitting transmission temps that fast. Are there any other parameters that will cause limp mode? Oil temps were around 220 I think. Odd thing is that it happened the moment I hit the rev limiter in 5th. (which I think happened before 8200, hard to tell, lots going on so it could have been the limp mode kicking in..)

I have an Nguage and will put it in the car now, I assume I can log data in it, though I haven't looked into it and don't really have time to get into it.

Would this be useful to anyone or anything else I can do be useful? I can get through the twisties quickly as well for some 'research'.. I mean.. twist my arm...

As a side note, it pulled hard to 170.. too bad 6th is so long..

shane
Have done extended 130-140+ in 5th and haven't hit limp yet, although oil shoots up to pretty high temps. In truth, I've pulled back a few times to try to avoid hitting limp mode. Will push hard later this week or weekend (when it's dry) and see what happens.

By the way--where on the track app does it save max speed?

Push13

Expert in Opinions
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
By the way--where on the track app does it save max speed?[/QUOTE said:
Hey bud, hows it going?
It's on an app called MyTracks on my phone. Pretty neat. I used it once to make a speedo on a race video I made. [ame="[MEDIA=youtube]OIQy4E29Bkg[/MEDIA]"] [/ame] If you have the apps and hardware, you can also do guages based on obd2 data so you can show rpm, throttle position, etc..

As far as the extended runs, I haven't had an issue either so I wonder if it was something else besides transmission temps.

shane

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Have the dealer pull the code to know for sure what triggered the limp mode.

I've been 140 on a road course track in ambient of 60-70 and didn't hit limp mode. However, from your description your drive was harsher than what I did.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If your autocrosses are anything like the ones here, you won't get much heat in the car. Autocross is 99% sitting around or watching cones and about 1% driving.
Today's event will be mild but I'll try some spirited driving on the way there to get data ;)

There is an autocross school event every so often around here where I've had 7 runs back to back with no breaks. We had a total of about 16 runs for the day. That was particularly fun and if you have anything like that near you I recommend it. It was a little more than double the cost of a typical event.

Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Hey bud, hows it going?
It's on an app called MyTracks on my phone. Pretty neat. I used it once to make a speedo on a race video I made. If you have the apps and hardware, you can also do guages based on obd2 data so you can show rpm, throttle position, etc..

As far as the extended runs, I haven't had an issue either so I wonder if it was something else besides transmission temps.

shane
Thanks. Will try the app. Gotta say, that video is a keeper!! Well done.

Yeah, I was surprised when you said you hit limp, because I know you've lived at those speeds quite a bit. Interested to know the cause when you find out.

Still looking toward the Ring in Sept. Will send you a PM once I get a chance to actually put a date on the calendar.

Push13

Expert in Opinions
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have the dealer pull the code to know for sure what triggered the limp mode.

I've been 140 on a road course track in ambient of 60-70 and didn't hit limp mode. However, from your description your drive was harsher than what I did.

I figured she could take it.. that it was built for it.. now I feel a little bad. :shrug:

I checked with the nguage and there were no codes. Is it a different sort of code than what we'd get from a scanner? if so, I'll head in tomorrow.

Thanks,
Shane

Push13

Expert in Opinions
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. Will try the app. Gotta say, that video is a keeper!! Well done.

Still looking toward the Ring in Sept. Will send you a PM once I get a chance to actually put a date on the calendar.
Thanks, don't tell anyone, but I still go watch it every now and then.

Ring in Sep sounds good. I'll talk to by buddy with the GT4 and another with a '15 GT.

Let's set a date and see if anyone else around is interested. Should be fun!

I'll PM my phone number.

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
Thanks, don't tell anyone, but I still go watch it every now and then.

Ring in Sep sounds good. I'll talk to by buddy with the GT4 and another with a '15 GT.

Let's set a date and see if anyone else around is interested. Should be fun!

I'll PM my phone number.
Oh hell yeah, i'd go in a heartbeat.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I'm back from the autocross. Like Hack said the autocross would not get the tranny hot. Max temp was 134F.

On the way to the event I left the car in 5th and cruised around 80 for 10 minutes. RPM is around 4k or just shy of it at that speed. When I exited the parkway I took this screen shot of the apps dashboard. Tranny temp is bottom left, 185. This was the highest it got today. Ambient temps were cool at about 82F.

The Kiwi3 is pairing up with the OBD Fusion app reliably. Nice to be able to monitor the temp and not guess if it's getting hot.

Sponsored

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forgot the screenshot
image.jpeg

OP
OP

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)
Guys make sure you are reporting it to the dealership and then higher up. I spoke with someone last week fairly high up here on the West Coast and he had mentioned that only one other report had been submitted regarding limp mode.

I know that isn't true - but if it happens on the street make some fucking noise.

If it happens on the track, well, keep that to yourself haha.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Oh hell yeah, i'd go in a heartbeat.
Be awesome if you could make it.

Stopped raining and dried out enough for about a 40 minute run. Car was well warmed up before stepping into it.

5th gear the majority of time, with a couple downshifts to fourth.

Set dash cam to mph. Managed to hold the 120-130mph range for extended periods--tough even on a Sunday evening with summer holiday traffic. Got above 140mph a few times, but traffic made it impossible to safely keep it there, especially after it started getting dark. Mostly held 110-120mph.

About 70°F and not the most demanding conditions, but no signs of limp...yet

Short clips below:

[ame]

[ame]