Sponsored

Manual Trans. Thud when shifting

ConspicuousConsumption

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP MT, Explorer ST
Some of you guys have just never driven a standard before, it seems to me, and you're just not cut out for it. You can't comprehend drive line lash and throw out bearings.
Sorry to bother you with our moronic thread. We're real limp wrists around here.
Sponsored

PatM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Some of you guys have just never driven a standard before, it seems to me, and you're just not cut out for it. You can't comprehend drive line lash and throw out bearings. To that point, my 15 is the BEST standard transmission/driveline I've ever had.
No offense, but some of these guys you refer to may have driven more manual cars then you can imagine and therefore know by experience that this is not a normal behavior. It is all about how extensive the clunking/grinding is which finally differentiates it from normal. However, good to hear that you are satisfied with your car so far :thumbsup:.

fogus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, DI Blue, Base
This is the first manual car I've driven for more than 20 miles, so I took my friend's '14 Cayman out for a spin. I was only able to produce a thud buy shifting into reverse (while stopped). All other shifts, as aggressively as I could shift, were thud-less.

PatM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
My shifter rotational noise is annoying me even more that the thud is anymore. Dealers says it's normal. You can hear it loudest in second gear. Roll along about 30mph in second gear and pull the shifter slightly to the left. It makes this noise without pulling the shifter to the left but this amplifies the noise so you know what I mean. Mine is pretty darn loud. Try it and let me know if any of you hear it.
Ok, this is the noise from my trans coming out of my shifter boot which concerns me much more than the thud itself. This is 3rd gear at 3000 rpm - no acceleration. I really don't think that this is normal at all but I await your judgement ...

Wopadobop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 s550 GT
Ok, this is the noise from my trans coming out of my shifter boot which concerns me much more than the thud itself. This is 3rd gear at 3000 rpm - no acceleration. I really don't think that this is normal at all but I await your judgement ...

I have also noticed the transmission whine (for lack of a better term) . Im not an engineer, however if you look at the amount of material between the bottom of your shifter boot and the open road, there aint much there in the way of sound dampening. I wonder if an aftermarket shift boot with sound deading material would help this.

Sponsored

888mustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V-6 051A 6spd,95 Mustang GT Vert
I also have the thud but not real concerned about it since I have the vibration issue. Just wondering if any body knows if the 2011-2014 mustangs with the mt-82 have the thud or is this just 2015+ ??

PatM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
... posted that in another thread (Grinding noise on 2nd and 4th gear), may be interesting here also:

I investigated the problem by myself over the weekend and found that the stock shifter is mainly responsible for this grinding/rattling kind of noise at 2500+ rpm due to vibration. As I had the Barton shifter here anyway I just removed the stock shifter assembly and installed the Barton short throw shifter. First thing I noticed was that shifting is much improved and the noise is 60% gone. Nice thing is I can shift through all gears with my elbow resting on the console now. I still could experience some harsh noises in some gears and figured out that this seems to come from the additional spring force pushing the shifter to right in 1st, 2nd and left for 5th and 6th gear (no noise in 6th gear though). As the resistance with all 4 springs in was way to strong for my liking anyway, I removed the 2 top springs. Now the noise was about 80% gone but I still had some kind of annoying metallic "ring" noise in 5th gear which mostly vanished when pushing the shifter slightly to the right. So I decided to just remove all the springs and fully rely on the linkage spring, which is totally fine for me even if I liked the two spring setup better. Additionally, I do not know if, on the long run and thinking about warranty, there could be any negative effect applying additional spring pressure to the linkage and trans. The noise in 5th gear is now minimized to a totally acceptable level as I can barely hear it anymore with windows up and AC off. Maybe it gets a bit smoother over time.

As a conclusion, my take on it right now is that shortly after installing my Magnaflow Street Catback, the rattling/grinding like noise developed because of the more intense vibrations introduced by the x-pipe especially. This does of course mean that even with the stock exhaust it could develop over a longer period of time but is maybe not that pronounced. The stock shifter and especially the reverse lockout is really bad from that perspective.

Regarding my clunking problem when shifting (engaging/disengaging the clutch manly from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd), I have been told by my dealer that Ford has problems on several cars with clunking (I assume due to excessive play) on both ends of the driveshaft, meaning either transmission or differential. For the trans it could also be the throw out bearing. So I will drop it off at the dealer next week and they figure out on which end the problem is in order to decide on the path forward. I honestly like this approach much more compared to just exchanging something on pure spec.

Seems to be a bit long winded, (my apologies:hail:) but hopefully also provides some helpful information ...

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I continue to hear that the differential bushing kit from Steeda helps to mostly eliminate the thud during shifting.

I just ordered one not for this purpose specifically, but i'm excited to see if the thud disappears.

zx2reme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
So I just got done installing a ton of suspension mods to include the Ford Racing bushing sets. I took the car out for a drive and when I shift, there is a lot of rattling coming from the rear end. There's nothing while I'm driving steady, but when I shift, the rattling starts. I originally had a thud, but it went away after about a 1,000 miles. Any thoughts? Could I have installed the axles incorrectly? Also, the rear end whines while driving as well. Kind of wishing I only went with the Steeda bushing kit so I didn't have to pull the car apart so much. LOL!

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT M6 performance pack, whipple charged
Let's get those Ponies running smooth, Tele5.0, MustangDirector, and Mangrove Mafia.

Checking in with your dealer is a great first step; let me know when you do so.

Also, as I'm seeing this is more than an isolated case, I want to document your product feedback. If interested, please send me your VINs and any additional details about the noise you are hearing while shifting.

Rachel

That does nothing. I told you guys about it. You told me to take to dealer and i did. They told me it's normal. It's not normal obviously with all the people on here experiencing it. This is very annoying and it doesn't do it all the time. Some sort of recall should be done. This has been happening since I've bought the car in January.

Sponsored

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford should give us all one piece drive shafts. This clunking crap is ridiculous

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
That does nothing. I told you guys about it. You told me to take to dealer and i did. They told me it's normal. It's not normal obviously with all the people on here experiencing it. This is very annoying and it doesn't do it all the time. Some sort of recall should be done. This has been happening since I've bought the car in January.
Normal is as normal does...

Ford should give us all one piece drive shafts. This clunking crap is ridiculous
As many have reported, a one piece drive shaft does not get rid of the 'thud'

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Its the differential. Ive covered this already. Its primarily an issue with the torsen diff found in the PP. Ive driven quite a few non pps that dont do it. Also not all PP models do it, it seems to be isolated to a certain tolerance. Changing out the bushings around the rear end can/have helped some. If you cant live with the clunking which is perfectly normal/acceptable by dealer standards then switch away from the torsen or open your diff up and make your own adjustments.

Best regards
Ex ford master tech.

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Its the differential. Ive covered this already. Its primarily an issue with the torsen diff found in the PP. Ive driven quite a few non pps that dont do it. Also not all PP models do it, it seems to be isolated to a certain tolerance. Changing out the bushings around the rear end can/have helped some. If you cant live with the clunking which is perfectly normal/acceptable by dealer standards then switch away from the torsen or open your diff up and make your own adjustments.

Best regards
Ex ford master tech.
If it dosnt cause any damage I will live with it. But For me it doesn't seem normal and I shouldnt have to fix it...I bought a new car to not have problems like this. Why should I have to adjust. I paid more for pp. They should adjust it...never had a car that thudded when put it in gear.

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Normal is as normal does...

As many have reported, a one piece drive shaft does not get rid of the 'thud'
That sucks
Sponsored