Status
Not open for further replies.

Ylow281

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT/2018 Mustang GT
Thanks for the answers.

Just my personal opinion, not trying to imply that I'm blaming you or even that this is the cause of failure, but I wouldn't have given it that 25% throttle in 6th. I'd have downshifted at least once. Maybe needlessly conservative, but that's how I treat all turbo engines- especially DI ones.

But to me that seems ridiculous. You can't give this engine 25% throttle in 6th gear?! I can see not flooring it but come on. That's not an uncommon thing to do and the motor should be able to handle that. Like I said...what about the thousands of people who bought them that know nothing about this forum or others???
Sponsored

khrome13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Eco Prem PP, 2015 F150 5.0, 93 Foxbody 5.0
I am curious to the correlation of the rear end gear size to those that have had issues. What is considered the RPM range of where LSPI is at the highest probability? Common sense would tell me that it would be more inclined to happen with the 3.31 than the 3.55...

Eric R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Ecoboost Mustang Premium, 6MT
Sorry to hear about your blown motor. All this LSPI talk yet there are no warnings visible to alert the driver not to do this... I got about 5500 miles on mine so far and just started to smoke a bit while cold (sometimes plums of smoke). I took it to ford and they stated it was normal. Car is bone stock, so if this thing blows up I would assume they would take care of it. I normally don't get into 6th in the city due to traffic.. but on the hwy i will accelerate from 60/65 to 75/80 in 6th regularly.

Good luck.

Eric

bislag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT w/PP
So I cannot give the car ANY gas when in 6th gear? That seems extremely silly, I didn't floor it I barely gave it gas which shouldn't warrant over 29 PSI. I'll just steer clear of turbo cars from now on.
I personally don't, but I always err on the side of caution. Like I said in my post, I'm not saying that's why your engine went, it could have been crappy coincidence.

Sponsored

spencerclift21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang Premium Package
This is exactly why I will not tune my Ecoboost. If something goes wrong engine wise and they find out you tuned it or made even the smallest mod to the engine, the warranty is shot. Not surprised Ford shot down the repair. Even with the smallest doubt they immediately say no.

bislag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT w/PP
If you can't give your car 25% throttle in any gear, the engine design is faulty and unsuitable for purpose.
But to me that seems ridiculous. You can't give this engine 25% throttle in 6th gear?! I can see not flooring it but come on. That's not an uncommon thing to do and the motor should be able to handle that. Like I said...what about the thousands of people who bought them that know nothing about this forum or others???
Just going to clarify here, because I think I gave the wrong impression. That is just how I have always driven my EB. That doesn't mean it is necessary. I am not claiming that is what killed his engine either, not claiming that at all. Was pointing out that it sounds similar to failures from another similar platform.

I also agree, it should be able to handle 25% throttle. I am just overly cautious.

Nihil

Cowabunga
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Grey Goop
And I have ppl tell me I'm crazy for trading last night
Me too, when I showed up to work with a white mustang a few weeks ago everyone was like what...you traded a black for a white mustang just like the one you had?? no. a more solid one. My EB was doing some strange things the last 2 months and pretty much the epidemic of motor issues popping up yeah, think ill get a gt. Ill get an EB again in a few years when ford sorts it all out.

stang77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
True but these engines should not be blowing the way they are.
How are they blowing? Do you have data supporting that an extraordinary number of EB engines are blowing? It's the internet, people are going to run and post when something bad happens. This forum is not a solid measure of how reliable these engines are.

Sponsored

Eric R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Ecoboost Mustang Premium, 6MT
Do we have a list of stock EB Motors that have popped?

bislag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT w/PP
True but these engines should not be blowing the way they are.
Very few of them have failed, all things considered. Have to keep in mind that even compared to 10 years ago many more people use the internet and participate on forums. Makes it much more likely you'll hear about a given failure.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Jeeze this is happening way too often. Sorry to hear about your loss and Ford being complete jerks to you but thanks for making this thread to document another one of these even though it opens you up to judgement. With this happening more often now I figured Ford would be a little more open minded and had some hope when I saw the guy last week get covered under warranty even with basic bolt-ons. But looks like he just got lucky and Ford is keeping up with trying to deny people until it gets large enough to be a PR mess. I have loved the Mustang all my life but stories like this don't inspire a lot of confidence in the brand.

If some of these cars can't even take 24% throttle in 6th gear I'm willing to bet there's a lot more dealerships with blown ecoboosts than we even know about. I'm willing to bet 75%+ of ecoboost owners have never heard of LSPI or drop the car down a gear when passing at a mild pace.

On a recent road trip I basically drove mine like it was a 5-speed. Only went in 6th when I was cruising on level ground or downhill at 75+ mph. It's BS.

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Cases like this shouldn't even be held against the platform. Do you people really expect the engine to hold up after the boost spiked so high?

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
If some of these cars can't even take 24% throttle in 6th gear I'm willing to bet there's a lot more dealerships with blown ecoboosts than we even know about. I'm willing to bet 75%+ of ecoboost owners have never heard of LSPI or drop the car down a gear when passing at a mild pace.
This wasn't a case of LSPI, this was a case of the boost spiking to almost 30psi.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.