Sponsored

Voodoo oil catch can. JLT vs UPR

Mr. Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wheeeee!
But on a serious note (I was joking obviously), asking questions like this will not get you any solid answers. A catch can is a catch can is a catch can. They're both shiny, they're both going to catch blow by, and they're probably going to cost about the same. And the vendors will tell you their's is the best, because they said so.

There won't be quantifiable data of either one being better than the other. There will just be anecdotal evidence of people saying "I got XYZ product and it was great!! It fellated me whilst I was installing it! A+++ WOULD BUY AGAIN!".

Not being unkind, just pick the one you like the most and go from there :)

Last edited:

Socalmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium w/PP Race Red
But on a serious note (I was joking obviously), asking questions like this will not get you any solid answers. A catch can is a catch can is a catch can. They're both shiny, they're both going to catch blow by, and they're probably going to cost about the same. And the vendors will tell you there's is the best, because they said so.

There won't be quantifiable data of either one being better than the other. There will just be anecdotal evidence of people saying "I got XYZ product and it was great!! It fellated me whilst I was installing it! A+++ WOULD BUY AGAIN!".

^What he said!

drainey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt 350, magnetic with white strip
But on a serious note (I was joking obviously), asking questions like this will not get you any solid answers. A catch can is a catch can is a catch can. They're both shiny, they're both going to catch blow by, and they're probably going to cost about the same. And the vendors will tell you there's is the best, because they said so.

I would think that the full two can kit with hoses, connectors etc would have plus and minus. With cleaning every oil change getting to it and removing could be a bid deal

Thoughts from those who have ?

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR

^What he said!

Simply not true, there are clearly better designs. I believe the top three are UPR, Bobs and I think two other brands. Mishimoto's looks pretty solid although the can is rather small.

Sponsored

Mr. Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wheeeee!
Simply not true, there are clearly better designs. I believe the top three are UPR, Bobs and I think two other brands. Mishimoto's looks pretty solid although the can is rather small.
3=4? Counting is hard :p

The OP was asking between two very similar designs. Among well known brands you're unlikely to find huge differences. I think as time goes on we'll see refinement in some design if the 5.2 has specific needs. At that point I'd expect a few top players to come out with actual evidence that their design is best.

eric n

HNIC/Head Ninja in Charge
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ericnolan.com
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
16 Shelby RR B&W stripes GT350 G0249

Ok, so you made use of the phrases, "quantifiable data, anecdotal evidence, fellated and whilst!" FULL MARKS! Then for some completely inexplicable reason you went with, "there's is best." Really????? I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with occasional evidence of DAIN BRAMMAGE.

Just busting your highly literate balls. Solid post.

Last edited:

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood

Mr. Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wheeeee!
Ok, so you made use of the phrases, "quantifiable data, anecdotal evidence, fellated and whilst!" FULL MARKS! Then for some completely inexplicable reason you went with, "there's is best." Really????? I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with occasional evidence of DAIN BRAMMAGE.

Just busting your highly literate balls. Solid post.
I remember going back to edit it, but I got banned for some other satirical posts and couldn't at the time. Still, good catch :lol:

Also, it's "your" ;)

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
3=4? Counting is hard :p

The OP was asking between two very similar designs. Among well known brands you're unlikely to find huge differences. I think as time goes on we'll see refinement in some design if the 5.2 has specific needs. At that point I'd expect a few top players to come out with actual evidence that their design is best.
No counting is not hard, I paused in that statement because I know there was a third company I was thinking of and found mishimotos. I'm not 100% certain mishimotos is the brand I was originally thinking of, but they are a solid product. I added the option of a fourth, by saying "think two more" to account for that variance. I just never went back to change the beginning of the sentence because I'm not sure if there are two more brands I'd even consider in the same league as them. Mishimoto could be the company I was thinking of. Perhaps I should have in place said "another company and maybe a 4th".

Nitpick my use of words all you want but the point remains the same. The quantifiable difference you are looking for in tests has been done, just not on the most recent of products.

And yes I understand you're just picking fun at my error, still wanted to clarify.

Oh and on to your other point about him asking about two products, you clearly see his other option isn't even mentioned by me. I left it out for a reason. UPR is a much better product, I just decided to give him more options to consider.

Sponsored

UPRSteve

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
A catch can is not just a can. That's like saying a camaro is a mustang. Both are muscle cars....

But here is some information on the UPR Single Valve Catch Can system with Clean Side.

To start...This kit is 100% Modular and can be fully disassembled to be emptied and cleaned with the a few pushes of a button and the can can be unscrewed in second and emptied. Our defusser technology uses a chambered designed disc system to ensure all oil, moisture and contaminates stay in the can.The UPR system also includes a check valve on our clean side of the can hose that will work with the factory PCV. It will stay open in vacuum and close on WOT and will ensure a tight seal. No oil or air will get by. W use a black braided and re-enforced hose that will that also offers a clean factory look along with the quick connect fittings.

The clean side separator will protect from any oil splashing into the intake tube. With the chambered design, it will force oil back down and only allow air to pass through it. See the image below to help guide you on how it works.

Lethal Performance has been putting our system to the test with their GT350 which they have dragged raced and road raced N/A. We will not be seeing it perform with the whipple next.

I hope this helps and good luck with the choice you decide OP.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
Supposedly the Ford Performance cans will be in the catalog within a week or two.

eric n

HNIC/Head Ninja in Charge
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ericnolan.com
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
16 Shelby RR B&W stripes GT350 G0249
I remember going back to edit it, but I got banned for some other satirical posts and couldn't at the time. Still, good catch :lol:

Also, it's "your" ;)
I just saw and fixed that. Serves me right....

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I would probably pick the Ford one first.

Mr. Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wheeeee!
A catch can is not just a can. That's like saying a camaro is a mustang. Both are muscle cars....

But here is some information on the UPR Single Valve Catch Can system with Clean Side.
Steve,

Your post is actually what I was talking about in terms of vendors saying they're the best without giving actual data :) And before you dismiss me as another troll, I do think you have a solid product. However, what most vendors lack is data showing how their catch can caught more oil than XYZ brand. Even better would be how the intake has zero oil residue in it after a track day compared to your competitors. That's actual data. Showing where the air is going to flow and pics of the media is good for saying "this is a quality made product". Showing us how well it's actually going to do vs the competition in a real track environment is much much better.

Otherwise we're basically sitting around here saying one brand is better than another because we saw some cool pictures online :)

All that being said, have you guys considered doing an air/oil separator with an oil return like Crawford and IAG have done for the Subaru community? It effectively makes it a zero maintenance system while fixing the oil blow by issue.
Sponsored