steve1107

steve1107

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP 50AP
The various modes are not going to change acceleration. They only effect feel and various traction control features. 6th gear isn't going to give you any type of real acceleration due to the overall ratio unless you have pulled 5th to redline.
Obviously I will just have to live with it. When I'm on the highway on a long trip I don't want to have to touch the stick. Maybe I do get a little lazy on the highway. [emoji42]
Sponsored

OP
OP
steve1107

steve1107

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
My 1400~ roundtrip to FL and back 23.7 to FL and 24.2mpg back to MD. The best I could get was driving at 55mph for slightly over an hour and got 26.0mpg. At that point I was done testing because it felt like I was going 30mph.
Wow! [emoji15] Thats great mileage. GT?

OP
OP
steve1107

steve1107

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
The various modes are not going to change acceleration. They only effect feel and various traction control features. 6th gear isn't going to give you any type of real acceleration due to the overall ratio unless you have pulled 5th to redline.
Just read, driving modes also adjust throttle response.

stangt911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Obviously I will just have to live with it. When I'm on the highway on a long trip I don't want to have to touch the stick. Maybe I do get a little lazy on the highway. [emoji42]
Assuming that your wife's car is automatic, when it's floored at 75 mph it downshifts to 3rd or 4th and will leave you behind. it is only fair to compare acceleration in the same gear. Downshifting is easy and fun in a manual.

gsxr1300

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I think the PP gearing accelerates pretty good for being an overdrive gear

Sponsored

15guardGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Green Auto GT
I understand that the mode also effects the throttle response, but does nothing to provide more power, just makes the throttle react more quickly, and so the acceleration in overdrive will be the same either way, to the floor is to the floor regardless of mode.

10splaya22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
F150
Just read, driving modes also adjust throttle response.
Yes that may make it feel faster but its not. Say you press the throttle 15%. In comfort mode that equates to 10% throttle body opening. In sport mode 15% throttle equates to 40% throttle opening so the car accelerates harder and "feels" faster but in reality the engine is still providing the same power. I made up all these numbers but you get the idea.

Charles147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PP w/50AP
I understand that the mode also effects the throttle response, but does nothing to provide more power, just makes the throttle react more quickly, and so the acceleration in overdrive will be the same either way, to the floor is to the floor regardless of mode.
True. I think its the feeling though. Just like we all know that driving in Normal mode around town 'feels' sluggish compared to in Sport or Track mode.

stangt911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I think the PP gearing accelerates pretty good for being an overdrive gear
there is video posted here of a 0-150 run that made the 6th gear look really sluggish. I am pretty sure that car had very few miles and was not broken in yet. I feel a noticeable difference in acceleration on my car now after almost a thousand miles.

Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
As others have said, 6th is the OD gear. That is what's gets us the decent gas mileage.

The day I picked up my GT PP, I drove a 2 day trip of 870 miles. From Lansdale, PA to Atlanta, GA and I averaged 23.1. This includes running 75-80 on the interstate and hitting god awful traffic in the DC area.

To accelerate hard, running highway speeds, you will have to downshift to 5th and even 4th depending on your speed.

Last edited:

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
So Todd, with an GT Auto, how to do you suggest getting to 6th gear when the car gets up to highway speeds in 2nd/3rd gear in the Auto around 70 to get that great MPG in 6th?

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
So Todd, with an GT Auto, how to do you suggest getting to 6th gear when the car gets up to highway speeds in 2nd/3rd gear in the Auto around 70 to get that great MPG in 6th?
:shrug:I have no idea. Never driven an auto GT of any year. Have no idea how or when it shifts.

I would imagine the gas mileage would be good if you drive without a lead foot.

15guardGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Green Auto GT
My auto with be in 6th gear by 40ish mph if I'm just cruising around...the shift pattern is based off of maps that use throttle demand as part of the shift logic.