Top gear acceleration.

steve1107

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP 50AP
Took my first trip in my GT PP. 700 miles round trip. Average speed 75 mph, gas mileage 21.5 mpg. It was a nice ride, very comfortable. My ass never fell asleep, and my legs never cramped. Really like that the infotainment center will actually show you a weather radar.

My only concern is top gear acceleration. To be blunt, it sucks. While cruising at 75 and matting the pedal, my wife's altima V6 is stronger than this. If you drop a gear, you can disappear. In fact, on slightly wet pavement, I did drop to 5th with the gas matted and spun the tires while cruising at 75.

My next trip to Atlanta I will check my mpg in 5th gear the entire trip.
Sponsored

JASON@ANCHOR-ROOM

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ANCHOR-ROOM.com
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
Took my first trip in my GT PP. 700 miles round trip. Average speed 75 mph, gas mileage 21.5 mpg. It was a nice ride, very comfortable. My ass never fell asleep, and my legs never cramped. Really like that the infotainment center will actually show you a weather radar.

My only concern is top gear acceleration. To be blunt, it sucks. While cruising at 75 and matting the pedal, my wife's altima V6 is stronger than this. If you drop a gear, you can disappear. In fact, on slightly wet pavement, I did drop to 5th with the gas matted and spun the tires while cruising at 75.

Tell me more about weather radar?

Anchor-Room.com

BlackWidow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future 2016 GT PP MT
6th is not meant for acceleration, it's an overdrive gear to give you better highway fuel economy...

Nitro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
It's overdrive. Do you want acceleration or gas mileage? If you want acceleration and are too lazy to downshift, buy an automatic.

Sponsored

Charles147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PP w/50AP
While cruising at 75 and matting the pedal, my wife's altima V6 is stronger than this. .
Ummm...is the Altima an automatic? If so, not a good comparison because it probably downshifted for you.

OP
OP
steve1107

steve1107

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Weather radar is pretty sweet. Actually shows your location and weather around you.

If I'm cruising at 75 on the highway, I'm not dropping a gear to accelerate.

Your comments are welcome, but if you are just here to flame. Move on to the next forum.

Charles147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PP w/50AP
Weather radar is pretty sweet. Actually shows your location and weather around you.

If I'm cruising at 75 on the highway, I'm not dropping a gear to accelerate.

Your comments are welcome, but if you are just here to flame. Move on to the next forum.
Well you did claim that an Altima accelerates faster.

OP
OP
steve1107

steve1107

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Ummm...is the Altima an automatic? If so, not a good comparison because it probably downshifted for you.
Probably right. Either way, just doesn't unwind in top gear.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport

Im curious about gears in the GT Auto.

This car gets up to highway speed so fast, sometimes in 2nd gear. How are you guys in 5th or 6th gear in the auto for highway cruising? Are you using the paddles to put it into that?

Sponsored
OP
OP
steve1107

steve1107

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Try sport mode? Might have a better acceleration feel. just trying to help with possible solutions.
I was thinking about that after I posted. I will try that and even the track mode. On the highway I did switch the steering mode to comfortable, which had a good feel. On a long trip like this I was pleased with the overall performance, but I guess with the 3.73 gears the as advertised mpg is not attainable.

15guardGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Green Auto GT
The various modes are not going to change acceleration. They only effect feel and various traction control features. 6th gear isn't going to give you any type of real acceleration due to the overall ratio unless you have pulled 5th to redline.

Charles147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PP w/50AP
I was thinking about that after I posted. I will try that and even the track mode. On the highway I did switch the steering mode to comfortable, which had a good feel. On a long trip like this I was pleased with the overall performance, but I guess with the 3.73 gears the as advertised mpg is not attainable.
My 1400~ roundtrip to FL and back 23.7 to FL and 24.2mpg back to MD. The best I could get was driving at 55mph for slightly over an hour and got 26.0mpg. At that point I was done testing because it felt like I was going 30mph.
Sponsored