Sponsored

MAPerformance Bolt-On Turbo Kit - 500whp Proven!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
I have a Focus ST, i.e. the turbo 2 L.

Turbos only improve efficiency from a standpoint of power, in essence it makes minimal to no impact on the highway because you're only driving NA. If anything, whenever you add forced induction you need to feed in more gas to balance the fuel:air ratio, hence turbos typically result in fewer MPGs as compared to the same engine purely NA.
True, but if you're building boost while cruising something is wrong with your tune haha. It requires an incredibly low amount of horsepower to cruise, no boost should be demanded by the ECU.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
We have been selling them for a couple weeks now, and production is almost finished and we will start shipping out kits asap! To get on the order list please following the link below!

To play by the rules we have to link externally to our sale thread:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24390

You can see the full development of our turbo kit in our Phase 2 thread in my signature!

That, um....sounds really good. Truly sounds like a snarling turbo beast now. Looks fast.

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
That, um....sounds really good. Truly sounds like a snarling turbo beast now. Looks fast.

It sounds bloody amazing.

The sound when the BOV lets off is just insane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
Didn't you mean, DANGER ZONNNNNNEEEEE!!!

To be serious and answer your question, our turbo kit is still producing over 25mpg. When you are off throttle you aren't demanding any more fuel than stock turbo setup. To be honest, I bet I could get BETTER gas mileage with our turbo kit because the whole engine is more efficient on the cold and hot side with this setup.

EBM VS GT is already an age old debate, in the end you buy what suits your style. If you have been a big GT guy your whole life, buy a GT. If you are a sport compact/turbo enthusiast by the EBM. I personally have owned 60+ vehicles, turbo, v8, supercharged, all motor 4cyl, and I would go for the EBM over the GT anyday. I love boost, and if I want to add boost to a 2015+ GT you are well out of the EBM's price range, and you might as well buy a ZR or ZL1 :p haha.
If I wasn't already planning on buying MAP products, posts like this would lead me in that direction. I'm a huge Archer fan so I'm glad you put that reference, and I too just plain love boost and have chosen the EB over the GT. I would love a turbo GT, but that just isn't in my budget. I've had GTIs and a Mazdaspeed 3 and love turbo 4 cylinders, and I love Mustangs. The EB is the best of both worlds and the aftermarket is running with it the way I hoped they would. I chose the EB as soon as it was unveiled and I can't wait to get back to the States and get in mine.

Sterling Archer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evil Mobile
True, but if you're building boost while cruising something is wrong with your tune haha. It requires an incredibly low amount of horsepower to cruise, no boost should be demanded by the ECU.
That's entirely my point, a turbo does zilch for highway cruising. Turbos basically allow you to cram more fuel in the combustion chamber, where the input energy comes from the exhaust. Once you realize the actual thermodynamics, it becomes quite obvious adding more boost will result in a lot more torque, but will only decrease MPGs.

Sponsored

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
That's entirely my point, a turbo does zilch for highway cruising. Turbos basically allow you to cram more fuel in the combustion chamber, where the input energy comes from the exhaust. Once you realize the actual thermodynamics, it becomes quite obvious adding more boost will result in a lot more torque, but will only decrease MPGs.
The larger turbo will be less of a restriction on the hot and cold side when not in boost and will make the engine more efficient when NOT boosting.

Sterling Archer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evil Mobile
The larger turbo will be less of a restriction on the hot and cold side when not in boost and will make the engine more efficient when NOT boosting.
Fine you could make the argument highway MPG would slightly go up, but again, the moment you go into boost your MPGs would plummet. That's why I was curious as to why someone would want to spend that much on a turbo kit, when the GT is just a little more.

OP
OP
MAPerformance

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
First Name
Sales
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Base w/ Performance Package
Fine you could make the argument highway MPG would slightly go up, but again, the moment you go into boost your MPGs would plummet. That's why I was curious as to why someone would want to spend that much on a turbo kit, when the GT is just a little more.
Because we are into our car (with its current setup) for less than a stock GT and we are making more power than a GT, while saving money everyday by NOT owning a GT. The Ecoboost holds a cheaper insurance rate, as well as the MPG that was just discussed. If you haven't browsed through the S550 GT sections yet you should look at the MPG that these guys are getting, 6mpg here, 8mpg there, highway driving less than 20. I could beat on my Yukon XL non stop and still produce better MPG than that.

On a more serious note we are not here to discuss MPG, we don't really care about it we are just trying to make excuses on why we bought an Ecoboost over the GT. The simple answer is, because we wanted to. I freight train 2011-2014 Bolt on GT's with our car, and will do the same to 2015+ GT's stock and bolt on. We had the 2015 GT in our shop here, on the dyno, and drove it on the street. First hand experience gives me the authority to claim our EBM is faster on the street. I can't make the claim of being faster at the track until we are able to make it out there. I hope we can do at our event the 19th-21st this month. http://www.maperformance.com/proving-grounds/when/

Here is a little sneak peak from my tuning session last night with our EBM and turbo kit.

I will be swapping turbo's today hopefully and getting back on the dyno, we thought the turbo was the restriction in making more power but I found some tables in the Cobb software that opened up some more room.

We are OFFICIALLY out of fuel, which is good timing because our fuel system upgrade will be ready for full testing in about a week.

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
Because Boost.

Herr_Poopschitz

Nullius in verba
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Junk
Why put a turbo kit on vs buying a gt for a little more $?

Besides all the other answers given...because stock sucks. I can't stand driving something I can't wrench on, or adding a bit of personality to.

So, have a stock GT lost in a sea of V8 cars, or for the same $ have something that is a bit quicker, gets better mpgs, and leaves some cash in my pocket to do some suspension stuff. Choice is obvious to me...

Sponsored

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT

As ridiculous as it is, it's true. There's something to having something that you look at and say "mine is unique, and I made it".

oilfieldtrash

likes mustangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic (still love mustangs though)
Gotta give MAP props. They are doing more r&d than anyone as far as getting the most out of the ecoboost.

I personally wouldn't be the turbo kit buyer but definitely could see myself with a MAP tune, intake, and exhaust one day.

Sterling Archer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evil Mobile
Because we are into our car (with its current setup) for less than a stock GT and we are making more power than a GT, while saving money everyday by NOT owning a GT. The Ecoboost holds a cheaper insurance rate, as well as the MPG that was just discussed. If you haven't browsed through the S550 GT sections yet you should look at the MPG that these guys are getting, 6mpg here, 8mpg there, highway driving less than 20. I could beat on my Yukon XL non stop and still produce better MPG than that.

On a more serious note we are not here to discuss MPG, we don't really care about it we are just trying to make excuses on why we bought an Ecoboost over the GT. The simple answer is, because we wanted to. I freight train 2011-2014 Bolt on GT's with our car, and will do the same to 2015+ GT's stock and bolt on. We had the 2015 GT in our shop here, on the dyno, and drove it on the street. First hand experience gives me the authority to claim our EBM is faster on the street. I can't make the claim of being faster at the track until we are able to make it out there. I hope we can do at our event the 19th-21st this month. .
Well, you and several others have made a point about the fuel economy, and I think you guys end up contradicting yourselves in that argument. When putting out more power than the v8, I would be absolutely shocked if the fuel economy was still better.

But anyways, the idea of customizing the car to your liking is valid. If that's what you guys are into, you'll get no argument from me there - especially considering the 2.3 was designed for modding.

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Well, you and several others have made a point about the fuel economy, and I think you guys end up contradicting yourselves in that argument. When putting out more power than the v8, I would be absolutely shocked if the fuel economy was still better.

But anyways, the idea of customizing the car to your liking is valid. If that's what you guys are into, you'll get no argument from me there - especially considering the 2.3 was designed for modding.

Not contradicting at all. It's completely POSSIBLE to get better economy if you drive with the intention of increased economy (long trips, daily commute, etc.), with the GT you get what you get.

Herr_Poopschitz

Nullius in verba
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Junk
I thought you understood, when not in boost, mpgs don't suffer. Hence the whole 'eco-boost' nomenclature. No contradictions here, sorry.

Maybe you should spend a bit more time w/ a thermo and fundamentals of engine design textbook? A NA V8 is not a turbo 4.

"It is vain to do with more what can be done with fewer." William of Ockham
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.