OP
Ruby305GT

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT
No word yet as I have not had a chance to take it in. I'm also going to do an oil change and see if it makes a difference prepping the filter and using motorcraft everything. If that doesn't, then I am taking it in.

I have a buddy with a 2014 GT, no noises and has 42k on the car. Neighbor has a GT500, no noises, down the block I have another gentleman with a black GT 2015, had oil change, no noises. This is why, I don't believe I should take "normal" as an answer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored

2013GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
Hey all. I joined the forum because I was wondering if the 2015s' engine changes solved the bbq tick. Few things I've seen:

That link about the mystery additive XL-17. That stuff is for diesel engines and I haven't heard of a dealer using that within the last couple years. It may have quieted down the car but I've never seen one where it went away once starting, it came back when you changed the oil again. I've also never seen anyone claim the dealership fixed the issue without a new short or longblock being the solution. The allfordmustangs moderator you'll note in some of the tick threads was an advocate of getting your car checked out if there was a problem then changed his tone to this is a noisy engine they're fine. I agree your car doesn't sound right. If that isn't an exhaust leak, then it sounds off, keep documenting, but I have never seen an oil change fix a problem where one existed, though that does not sound like the bbq ignitor tick. Even if you didn't prefill the filter when you changed the oil, it's full now, so if priming the pump solved the problem it'd be gone. If there's damage or defect priming the filter next time won't change it.

[ame]
This is the tick my car suffered, this is what it sounded like right after I changed the oil starting at 47500 miles. No matter what brand of oil, it didn't matter. FL500S, mobil 1 filter, Wix, doesn't matter. This started after a dealer oil change and I finally got another dealership to take a look at it. It also began sounding like shit at idle on 1000mile+ old oil. They blew me off, said everything was fine, and that after they put new oil in it was better. They promised it was not going to snap crackle and pop like a bowl of rice crispies. Four miles later it sounded as above, and they finally took it seriously. It happened every subsequent oil change. I pre-filled oil filter, primed the oil pump by removing fuel pump relay, etc. Nothing made a difference. I would not worry. As long as you continue to document things and advocate for yourself, you'll be taken care of.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Ruby305GT

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT
Hey all. I joined the forum because I was wondering if the 2015s were going to have any issue like this. Few things I've seen:

1. That link about the mystery additive XL-17. That stuff is for diesel engines and I haven't heard of a dealer using that within the last couple years. It never reportedly helped the ticking anyway, it came back when you changed the oil again.

2. I agree your car doesn't sound right. If there's an exhaust leak, something is wrong, keep documenting, but I have never seen an oil change fix a problem where one existed.

3. That does not sound like the bbq ignitor tick.

This is the tick my car suffered, this is what it sounded like right after I changed the oil starting at 47500 miles. This started after a dealer oil change and there was damage enough to the engine that it was replaced.

4. I would not worry. As long as you continue to document things and advocate for yourself, you'll be ok.

Good luck.

My knock/tick/sound is consistent across the power band and it doesn't come and go. It's most prominent on the drivers side, although it can be heard on the passenger side and my guess would be resonance from the drivers side. On top of engine it cannot really be heard, other than the regular CAM and minor lifter sounds which ALL engines make. I ordered the Motorcraft filter and oil, if it comes in by the weekend I will change the oil.

2013GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
My knock/tick/sound is consistent across the power band and it doesn't come and go. It's most prominent on the drivers side, although it can be heard on the passenger side and my guess would be resonance from the drivers side. On top of engine it cannot really be heard, other than the regular CAM and minor lifter sounds which ALL engines make. I ordered the Motorcraft filter and oil, if it comes in by the weekend I will change the oil.

Well if it's bottom end one wonders if it's not bearings? I said don't worry, but I completely understand the agitation. Mine drove me nuts. I was also at 58400 miles when the engine was replaced, so my worry was running out warranty. The dealer kept saying, 'you're in warranty...just...' as if that somehow made me responsible for a problem that I documented began after an oil change from a dealer. Just continue researching too. See if anyone else reports a problem, etc. It's good your engine is new. You have a lot of time on your side, but there's no reason you have to wait unless you want to.

Sponsored

2013GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
Why the heck would a first oil change with superior oil cause that?

I can't for the life of me figure out why an oil change would cause problems. It makes no sense. A lot of people wonder if there are design defects in the coyotes. Ford cut the development time shorter than their normal procedure to keep up with the Camaro, and they brag about tighter clearances. They're high compression, so in general, with tighter tolerances and higher compression, less tolerance for error. If your engine has a defect it's hard to attribute causality to an oil change. The confluence of the physics of many moving parts and the defect means it started when it did I guess.

They did used to say the engines weren't 'breaking in properly' but I think that's bunkum. The manual says such a short break in period anyway. Most dealerships tell their customers there is no break in period too. Both the dealer I bought the car from and the dealer that replaced the engine said that. I followed a break in regimen anyway with the replacement. Plenty of acceleration/decel to seat the rings, kept the revs below 4000 except two or three 50% throttle runs and compression braking to seat the rings, then kept it under 4000rpm til 600 miles, 5000 til 700, 6000 til 800, redline not until 1000. Varied speed/rpms constantly first 1000rpm. Really tiresome after a while, that. Ultra conservative, yes. Will it harm me? I can't see how. Hell, I did no WOT until 300 miles, then only four or so times before 1000miles. Has not burned any oil yet, but we will see what happens.

I do know the oil in my car now, which I have not changed since the replacement, is just regular semisynthetic motorcraft, not a special break in blend. The filter is an FL500s, not the champion labs factory filter. There should be no penalty for changing your oil early in that case. I don't know if the factory fill is different but the filter we know is.

OP
OP
Ruby305GT

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT
I am honestly extremely frustrated with the sound, it drives me up a wall. It feels out of place and not something I'm willing to tolerate over my ownership. I am honestly hoping an oil change with Motorcraft parts and oil will fix this...

OP
OP
Ruby305GT

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT
Just an update guys, dropped her off at the dealer today. I will report back when they give me some feedback on the issue.

In the meantime, driving a Kia SOUL, I miss the stang already.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Just an update guys, dropped her off at the dealer today. I will report back when they give me some feedback on the issue.

In the meantime, driving a Kia SOUL, I miss the stang already.
Thanks for keeping us posted!

Enjoy that SOUL:lol::cheers:

EcoMax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 2.3l Mustang Ecoboost
Any update, as I am getting an engine ticking/knocking from my 2.3l ecoboost with a loss of power in 1st and 2nd gears, Ford has been unable to diagnose it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Ruby305GT

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT
Update from my service rep: Still trying to figure out what it can be, its definitely something new that cannot be replicated on any other car on their lot. A service hotline with Ford has been established and they are waiting for further instructions or troubleshooting steps prior to tear down.

I am supposed to hear back from them today on whats going on, I will update then.

If you want to get your issue escalated, contact Ford service in the forum. They can help you out with your issue.

OP
OP
Ruby305GT

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT
Update: Got a call from Ford and also the dealership stating after they completed the oil change yesterday, the sound although present, is NOW comparable to other cars on the lot.

Yesterday they had completed said oil change and mentioned it had no difference in the noise level and wasnt comparable to other cars. Today, the story has changed and it is deemed normal...

I am due to come in tomorrow and listen in to my car and two additional GT's claimed to imitate the same sound my vehicle is making. These are new cars on the lot, so we will see. Their concern is not wanting to tear the engine apart to find the issue when the sounds is "normal" in their eyes. I find something very wrong with this decision, but I cannot judge until I hear this in person.

09jsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard PP GT
Thanks for the updates. Please let us know because that was the same thing I was told by my dealer.

OP
OP
Ruby305GT

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT
Thanks for the updates. Please let us know because that was the same thing I was told by my dealer.
Your sound is the BBQ tick though correct? Or is it the same noise I am experiencing?

09jsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard PP GT
Your sound is the BBQ tick though correct? Or is it the same noise I am experiencing?
Nope mine is a knock-ish sound with an exhaust leak sound as well. All started after my oil change. Drivers side
Sponsored