Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
WARNING: Thread Necromancy, but I think this is the most recent differential discussion

Ford Performance posted the detailed instructions, including the wiring harness routing, to go with the differential cooler kit PN M-4000-M8S.

Link.
https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-4000-M8S
Thanks for posting that! They forgot to put the instructions in with my kit, so I've been waiting for snail mail to receive my copy.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Thanks for the info. Didn't expect to have to disassemble so much to install this kit.

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
What amazed me is that even Ford couldn't integrate them back into the systems. Dropping the diff wow! So to buy both kits and have dealer installed how much?

Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Thanks for posting that! They forgot to put the instructions in with my kit, so I've been waiting for snail mail to receive my copy.
Thanks for the info. Didn't expect to have to disassemble so much to install this kit.
+3. Appreciate the heads up Matt!

Last edited:

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Just got through the install instructions. Looks to me that this kit as installed would not enable dash display of diff temp and add switch and led to dash.

Anyone considering an alternative install of this kit maybe to avoid the switch and led , possibly an inline thermostatic switch to trigger the pump?

Alternatively, could the thermostatic switch signal be split to provide both the temp display on the dash (yes, this is possible as shown by [MENTION=29216]jwb[/MENTION]) and to kick the pump on?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Just got through the install instructions. Looks to me that this kit as installed would not enable dash display of diff temp and add switch and led to dash.

Anyone considering an alternative install of this kit maybe to avoid the switch and led , possibly an inline thermostatic switch to trigger the pump?

Alternatively, could the thermostatic switch signal be split to provide both the temp display on the dash (yes, this is possible as shown by [MENTION=29216]jwb[/MENTION]) and to kick the pump on?
I'm planning to split the signal from the thermostat to at least have a temperature readout for the diff.

One thing people on here should know is that the diff cover in the kit is identical to the track pack/R diff cover. It isn't a unique cover. So if you've already installed the track pack diff cover, you are golden (you won't have to tear the rear suspension apart again). The same goes for the radiator, hoses, bracket and the outward appearance of the pump. The pump essentially looks identical to the track pack / R pump.

What amazed me is that even Ford couldn't integrate them back into the systems. Dropping the diff wow! So to buy both kits and have dealer installed how much?
It is a fair amount of work to drop the diff and reinstall. It took me at least a couple full days. Ford's instructions with the kit are a lot easier to work from than using the Helm manual, though. This project to add rear diff cooling is MUCH MUCH easier than the transmission swap, though. At least that's my opinion. Like I said before, getting the rear axles pried out was the toughest part for me. I ended up buying a better pry bar to do the job. I think it must be easier to get a good angle and leverage for the pry bar if the car is on a hoist rather than jackstands. You definitely want the car to be SUPER secure in the air before you start prying, as you may have to get a little medieval on those drive axles.

mnmike59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I'm planning to split the signal from the thermostat to at least have a temperature readout for the diff.

One thing people on here should know is that the diff cover in the kit is identical to the track pack/R diff cover. It isn't a unique cover. So if you've already installed the track pack diff cover, you are golden (you won't have to tear the rear suspension apart again). The same goes for the radiator, hoses, bracket and the outward appearance of the pump. The pump essentially looks identical to the track pack / R pump.

It is a fair amount of work to drop the diff and reinstall. It took me at least a couple full days. Ford's instructions with the kit are a lot easier to work from than using the Helm manual, though. This project to add rear diff cooling is MUCH MUCH easier than the transmission swap, though. At least that's my opinion. Like I said before, getting the rear axles pried out was the toughest part for me. I ended up buying a better pry bar to do the job. I think it must be easier to get a good angle and leverage for the pry bar if the car is on a hoist rather than jackstands. You definitely want the car to be SUPER secure in the air before you start prying, as you may have to get a little medieval on those drive axles.

[MENTION=12069]Hack[/MENTION] Do you track your car? Road course or Drag?

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853

Thanks [MENTION=12069]Hack[/MENTION]. Appreciate your perspective. Any thoughts about skipping the dash switch and LED? It's my understanding those that have the coolers already installed don't have these switches to turn them off.

Sponsored

mkonrad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
The thermostatic switch uses a bimetallic joint to complete a circuit and won't help the ecm read the temperature. But there's nothing stopping you from including the temp sensor in addition to therm switch. Jump the two wires in the kickpanel/dash area, since the sensor is lost somewhere in the main harness for seats. This was already tested.

It's basically the same diff cover, but the size of the thermostatic switch is a little deeper and wider than the track temp sensor. It looked a little modified to me, but minor.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
The thermostatic switch uses a bimetallic joint to complete a circuit and won't help the ecm read the temperature. But there's nothing stopping you from including the temp sensor in addition to therm switch. Jump the two wires in the kickpanel/dash area, since the sensor is lost somewhere in the main harness for seats. This was already tested.

It's basically the same diff cover, but the size of the thermostatic switch is a little deeper and wider than the track temp sensor. It looked a little modified to me, but minor.
Thanks Matt. That'll be my plan.

What does Ford include for a pump? Brand, gpm...

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
[MENTION=12069]Hack[/MENTION] Do you track your car? Road course or Drag?
Road course, but not much so far. Need to finish up the wiring on this kit and I will be ready for more!

It's not basically the same diff cover, it IS EXACTLY the same diff cover. If you buy the kit you will see that the diff cover comes in its own box within the kit. That box has the diff cover part number on it. And the part number is the same as the track pack / R diff cover.

Thanks Matt. That'll be my plan.

What does Ford include for a pump? Brand, gpm...
The pump is from the same manufacturer as the pump on the track pack and R models, but my understanding is that the pump is merely rewired / reprogrammed to run from a different power source and switching signal. The pump says FoMoCo on it.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Any idea why the pump is wired differently? It's understandable with the trans, since it's a totally different transmission, but what's the logic behind the diff pump being different?

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
We never did really find out if the pump was variable speed, controlled by the PCM pulses. So if it looks like the same pump I like to know how it is wired.
Sponsored