Sponsored

Ford Inspector for Warranty Repair-Update:Warranty Denied Claim Due to Off Road Racing

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I would agree in general with @Cobrajet's earlier comment regarding ESPs most of the time but in this circumstance of an expensive to replace unique engine I felt it was warranted when I bought it in 2017. My ESP has paid off in spades at 54k miles with a new engine for oil consumption that went from a steady 1500miles per quart to suddenly sub 500 and an AC compressor replacement at around 50k miles. Very little beef as I stated previously, just certainty the car wasn't "abused" at tear down which I assume was meant to not show evidence of "racing". Had it, like the OP I'm sure I would have been denied.
While deceptive may be a little strong, I agree it is an important point to stress the ESP is not a factory warranty and different considerations for coverage may apply. Nevertheless as these cars get into ESP coverage, it is nice to know that not all claims are outright rejected.
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Maybe I'm just a quitter but I'd just pay out of pocket to get this fixed and then punt the car (or keep the car if I really enjoyed having it). Any other avenue is just annoying, plain and simple. I understand that its not right that they denied it, but beyond doing arbitration I just don't see the point of adding any more stress to the situation.

Could look for a used 3160 to help cut down on the cost somewhat. They're normally pretty robust.

Kachow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Maybe I'm just a quitter but I'd just pay out of pocket to get this fixed and then punt the car (or keep the car if I really enjoyed having it). Any other avenue is just annoying, plain and simple. I understand that its not right that they denied it, but beyond doing arbitration I just don't see the point of adding any more stress to the situation.

Could look for a used 3160 to help cut down on the cost somewhat. They're normally pretty robust.
While I would normally agree, the 350 isn't a car you can just punt so to speak. It's special.

Also, major props to OP for fighting this. As 350s age and we all start using the ESP more, he may set a precedent here for future denials due to "racing". I commend him. It's silly that Ford made a track car we can't track. Plain and simple.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Maybe just the pessimist in me but -

I doubt one overturn of an initial warranty decision is going to result in a blanket change of policy for these companies. They will still fight each case, individually. This also wouldn't be the first time arguments against warranty denials have been overturned.

Mostly - if you think this WOULD set some kind of precedent that could affect other ESP claims - you cant really expect them to pay this at all. They will deny.

I think the lesson learned here is - don't buy an ESP for a car you track or a car that you can hide the fact that it's been tracked. Their MO here is clear. Yes, you MIGHT be able to fight your way through it but not everyone has time time an patience for this... Knowing how they behave ahead of time just solidifies my choice to not buy an ESP. If something breaks on my car, I know exactly what to expect, a repair and a bill... not a -leave my car at the dealer for months while I fight with the warranty company that I might ultimately lose against and have to pay anyway. Got no time for that.

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000

I made a similar recommendation earlier. On some level the the dealership is almost punting on figuring out the root cause and wanting to replace the transmission might not be helping the OP with a more expensive bill that will attract attention.

Sponsored

OP
OP

mikedahammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
As stated previously this is an exercise of the principal issue at hand. I am not independently wealthy but the money to fix the car is fortunately not an issue. I am not going to cave because I can afford the fix or want to be less annoyed and just move on. I want Ford to respect and understand what they are telling their consumers. I own three Ford performance vehicles and I have attended three different schools in Utah on their products. Do NOT mistake this for a humble brag; I am PISSED! This is why I am willing to put in the work and also willing to share the journey because quite frankly I have never been so betrayed by a company.

The way I, and my car have been treated, is obnoxious at best. I am the one guy who will put in the work to utilize the resources afforded by Ford, the contract, and state law between them and me. Will it all be for not, probably, but I am fortunate enough to be able to navigate through the system with minimal cost (besides my time). Time is the least I have but I wouldn't be here sharing the journey if I was treated fairly and with a bit of decency. This journey is not about me anymore and is more for the next person that can’t navigate through all the hoops and doesn’t have the time, tools, or knowledge. This will hopefully persuade or dissuade the next person and they can search and pinpoint this thread if they are on fence.

Perseverance is never easy and I am no knight to save the next poor sap. If I was in wrong I would move on. However, I invested in Ford expecting they were also a party to the same investment and wanting me to trust them. When we agree on a set of facts and circumstances and then when they move the goalpost I can no longer accept it. I don't come from money and don't enjoy being without the car but not all that falls on me. I have invested in Ford, Ford products, and the brand that says solid like a rock. For Ford to bite the hand that feeds it is incomprehensible and disrespectful to me especially when all service work and maintenance was performed through dealerships and they have not provided any evidence to support their assertions.

I hope that this helps others more than it helps me. I am not looking for thanks or accolades. I am just documenting my experience to potentially help others so when they make their choices they have the real world facts and an honest review. I fight the fight because a character flaw for me is that I truly believe that right is right and that the truth will always win. I know that is not always the case but I will try because the next poor guy that might not have the resources to do so may not know how to proceed until stumbling upon this thread.

I feel like Ford should not severe you a glass of kool aide and then later ask you why you drank it. I have nothing to hide. I don't neglect or abuse my vehicles and have never done that with any vehicle I have ever owned. This no longer about me; it is about the brand and what is right for the consumer. I will pursue all the avenues and will document what I am allowed and able to for the benefit of others.

The final product is almost ready and I will update where I filed and what was filed. I will also post all updates that I am allowed and thank you to everyone that has followed and provided insight. Insight for me is and any correspondence whether I agree or not.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe

LikeMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
As stated previously this is an exercise of the principal issue at hand. I am not independently wealthy but the money to fix the car is fortunately not an issue. I am not going to cave because I can afford the fix or want to be less annoyed and just move on. I want Ford to respect and understand what they are telling their consumers. I own three Ford performance vehicles and I have attended three different schools in Utah on their products. Do NOT mistake this for a humble brag; I am PISSED! This is why I am willing to put in the work and also willing to share the journey because quite frankly I have never been so betrayed by a company.

The way I, and my car have been treated, is obnoxious at best. I am the one guy who will put in the work to utilize the resources afforded by Ford, the contract, and state law between them and me. Will it all be for not, probably, but I am fortunate enough to be able to navigate through the system with minimal cost (besides my time). Time is the least I have but I wouldn't be here sharing the journey if I was treated fairly and with a bit of decency. This journey is not about me anymore and is more for the next person that can’t navigate through all the hoops and doesn’t have the time, tools, or knowledge. This will hopefully persuade or dissuade the next person and they can search and pinpoint this thread if they are on fence.

Perseverance is never easy and I am no knight to save the next poor sap. If I was in wrong I would move on. However, I invested in Ford expecting they were also a party to the same investment and wanting me to trust them. When we agree on a set of facts and circumstances and then when they move the goalpost I can no longer accept it. I don't come from money and don't enjoy being without the car but not all that falls on me. I have invested in Ford, Ford products, and the brand that says solid like a rock. For Ford to bite the hand that feeds it is incomprehensible and disrespectful to me especially when all service work and maintenance was performed through dealerships and they have not provided any evidence to support their assertions.

I hope that this helps others more than it helps me. I am not looking for thanks or accolades. I am just documenting my experience to potentially help others so when they make their choices they have the real world facts and an honest review. I fight the fight because a character flaw for me is that I truly believe that right is right and that the truth will always win. I know that is not always the case but I will try because the next poor guy that might not have the resources to do so may not know how to proceed until stumbling upon this thread.

I feel like Ford should not severe you a glass of kool aide and then later ask you why you drank it. I have nothing to hide. I don't neglect or abuse my vehicles and have never done that with any vehicle I have ever owned. This no longer about me; it is about the brand and what is right for the consumer. I will pursue all the avenues and will document what I am allowed and able to for the benefit of others.

The final product is almost ready and I will update where I filed and what was filed. I will also post all updates that I am allowed and thank you to everyone that has followed and provided insight. Insight for me is and any correspondence whether I agree or not.
Status update?

Sponsored
OP
OP

mikedahammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Sorry for the delay. I sent the attached revised and breach of warranty demand letter around November 7. I wanted to give Ford ample time to respond. I even tried to call and get an update from Ford and they declined in every instance to have a case set up or for a supervisor to call me back even though I told them I sent their legal department a demand letter.

In my experience, if you are denied by warranty (for abuse) you have zero options but to sue or file arbitration. Ford will tell you that you have to deal with the warranty ESP department and that is a dead end. I spent countless hours calling and trying to get a Ford customer service rep to take ownership of the issue and to work within their own company to resolve my issues and concerns and they will not.

With the demand letter I included everything in my previous post and added my service record history, copies of all the warranty work performed, etc. I was wrong with the transmission issue. When I reviewed my records it was actually in 2022 and was "repaired" under the 5 year 60K mile warranty. I tried to get Ford to reopen that repair under the original 5 year 60K since that issue or repair stemmed from before the ESP took over. I also tried to get them to cover the repair under the 12 month 12,000 repair guarantee. Ford denied my multiple attempts to cover it or even to open another case.

I received no response from Ford and filed this week with the BBB for arbitration. I am reviewing the state law protection rules in Virginia and plan on filing with that consumer board as well since all of the work is done at this point. I will post when that is filed and where I filed it.

I will update this post when I have any correspondence from Ford or the BBB. Hang in there though, as I think it could be a couple of months before there is any correspondence from Ford or the BBB.

Attachments

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
Interesting read and a well worded letter. Hopefully they will now do the right thing voluntarily, though at this point one may be forgiven for thinking they will not.

From what I could quickly read, BBB will ask them to respond with 14 days, so fingers crossed you will not have to wait long.

passwords

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350R & ‘19 ZL1 1LE
Notice of breach of contract and cure notice, beautifully written. Mike, you may have a second calling as a lawyer!

OP
OP

mikedahammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I filed the with the BBB and just received confirmation of the case being opened. The email sent to me said:

.......The claim has been opened and sent to Ford for review and determination of any settlement offers they believe are appropriate or their official position on the claim. As soon as received, we will relay to you for review.......

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
Excellent. Getting the popcorn…
Sponsored