Sponsored

Does more tire grip equate to less wheel hop?

slowbutfast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
My Car: 2015 Mustang performance Pack, SCT canned tune, BMR cradle lockout, 275 continental contiprocontact (all seasons, on the car when bought used), everything else stock

Problem: I take my car to the strip on occasion but my car wheel hops almost just as bad now as without the cradle lockout kit. I have vertical links coming in this week and probably order differential inserts from steeda too. My concern is even with the vertical links, I will still get wheel hop because the all season tires slipping and grabbing thus starting the driveline hop dance. I slip the clutch on launches but it still hops at about 60', so would tires help more than diff bushings at this point?

I also have the terrible 1st gear bog that some people say is the clutch protection. Can SCT fix this or would I have to go to bama or lund?
Sponsored

Built4Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium White
You need to replace the rear lower control arm bushings with bearings. Reports are that vertical links are not a major part of the wheel hop equation.

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
Tires are the most effective way to reduce wheel hop. Be careful with the wheel hop you currently have or you will have a broken axle to deal with too.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
Put slicks on and never wheel hop at the track again.

Sponsored

Reds197

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 BASE (sold)16 LPF 62mm 16 Whipple 15 VMP MT-82
If you are serious about tracking it do this.
THIS!

I can also say viking shocks helped significantly more than the vertical links. Especially on street tires.

Rustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rustan
Vehicle(s)
LB '17 GT Premium PP
Mine hopped with the cradle brace and diff bushings, swapped my RLCA bearing for a spherical and bye bye hop. Still have stock links, shocks, springs and tires.

OP
OP

slowbutfast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Thanks for all the input. I did not consider the LCA bearing because it is always advertised as a component for handling more than wheel hop.

Definitely will be getting new tires, probably wont go full drag setup. Bracket racing is not my goal for the car but I do like to make changes and aim for new personal bests. My last car ran 14.9, so if I can get to a mid 12 it would be enough

Sponsored

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
OP
OP

slowbutfast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I will be putting LCA bearings on my list. Looks very promising with a lot of elbow grease. My links and diff bushing have arrived so I might track test those very soon.

Tired of waiting on vendors to answer questions about disabling clutch protection so I'll just do it myself. I'm a long time user of HPTuners so let the adventure begin

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT
What works for some may or may not work for you. I threw everything at my suspension and while everything helped lessen it the last thing I did was vertical links and it finally killed wheel hop. Some have gotten lucky and solved the issue with much fewer mods. Good tires should help. I know some say more grip = more hop but that is simply not the case. The lower the temperature the less the tires grip and the more hop I had. Warmer temps brought less hop. Now the only time I get any hop at all is mid forties or lower and it's minimal.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
I have also found that lower tire pressures help significantly.

Although it is annoying to see the light on the dash, I keep my street tires at 24psi.

Makes a massive difference.
Sponsored