Sponsored

Balance of Grip, Driveability and Wear. Boosted S550 Tire Discussion

venumous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Procharged GT
I bought the GT PP 20x10s for rear and left 19s up front with 305 555Rs on the 20s. Again they're fine in anything but torrential rain and grip great on the street. Do what you wish. I have 2 800HP plus cars and both have 555Rs on them.
Sponsored

HoustonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
yeah this thread was more of a discussion than anything. seriously considering the 555 G2 and getting some different wheels and getting 555R or something else for when the forecast says 0 rain. my second car i dont really trust for long trips.
I got 555R's right after the whipple was put on. Very good for the first 3,000 miles, after that it was down right scary with any water on the road. Decent traction until they wore out at about 6,000 miles. Now running 315 G2's and dont worry about rain at all. Traction off the line is ok, but not nearly as good as the 555r's. Take traction control off and my 3.15 gears spin them easily in 1st and 2nd...

HoustonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
No need for a second set if going with the 555R it is a great daily driver tire. Does "well" in rain too. I was in a torrential downpour and was fine driving at 55 mph, anything above that and the back end started swaying. Light rain is a non issue for the 555R.

Now if you wanted a second set with 17s and street ss or a bias ply, I could support that decision.
My 555R's were BAD in rain after about 3,000 miles, even at speeds under 55 mph. here in texas they were scary in a heavy rain with any standing water on the road ....

venumous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Procharged GT
Houston rain is not normal rain and drainage sucks. Lived in The Woodlands for 3 years.

Ponderthis

Boost Loading...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
555R for daily and light track/ street duty... After a few thousand miles they wear like others have mentioned the rain handling gets scary, got 6K out of mine before bands started showing almost.

Sponsored

Inigo

P2P Engineering
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 PP GT 6spd
RE71R (all the rest have nothing on this tire)

FATHERFORD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
If you aren't driving the car everyday, get some sticky m/t drag radials....

If the tires only last 5k miles, so what? the car isn't your DD anymore..

Obsol3te

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
My vote, MPSS or MPS4S(I just hear its better than the MPSS, no actual experience).
I've had the stock pzeros and they are just plain dangerous.
I've had 285/35/19 M/T Street comps and they would break loose in 70Âş weather above 90mph...
My new tire that i've been running for about 7,000 miles so far?
Michelin Pilot Super Sport.
325/30/19
In 90Âş weather I can stick second gear going about 50mph with 3.73 rear end gear.
They have FAR exceeded my expectations, amazing street tire and the tire wear is going to be far greater than your NT555R's
If you want a good tire that's a nice in between, honestly look no further.
My power level is on a mustang dyno btw, im actually closer to the 800rwhp range so again, im very impressed

Terminated

GTFO_0009
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Vehicle(s)
Bagged & Boosted 50th Anniversary
RE71R (all the rest have nothing on this tire)
The issue with Bridgestone is their sizing... if you're running 19s then you can get the 71r in 285 or 305. For guys with 20s, not so much. They are a good tire though.

I'm running Michelin's 4S and I'm pretty impressed with them so far. Cold, I'll shred in 1st/2nd. Warm, however, 2nd spins some if you rail on it, but not horribly, and 3rd holds really well- even with 3:73 rear. Big improvement over the MPSS, in my opinion.

Pincushin3819

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Paxton GT
So im in the market for some new tires. Fronts are already decided (255 35 20 Nitto NT555 G2). The rears are undecided.

My qualifications are:

Good grip. Yeah i can use some cheap 50k mile tires, but if they break loose at 100mph, whats the point?
Wear. Yeah i can get some super soft Bias Ply tires but if they are gone in 5k miles and cost $400 a tire, whats the point?
Driveability. If someone spills their coffee on the highway, i drive through it and i spin out of control like beyblade, whats the point?

The rear tires that were on the car were 305 30 20 NT555 G2 tires. due to some weird rear camber issues it seemed like most of the time the car was only using the inside 1/3 of the tire. That being said i was very happy with their performance/dollar. The camber issue will be solved either right before or right after these new tires are purchased so that will no longer be the case.

What tire do you recommend? This car isnt a daily driver, it is a weekend/sometimes-ill-drive-it-to-work-if-i-feel-like-it car. Stick with the NT55G2? Go with the MPS4S? Go drag radial? Super Swampers? Id like your input.

TL;DR. i need new tires and my car makes power, what do?
The best all around tire that I have found is hands down the Toyo R888 it's very similar to the NT555R but for me I found better grip & it didn't give up the mileage. My car makes 700+ whp & dead hooks 2nd on a 40 roll. I drive the crap out of my car & can get around 10k+ miles out of them. In rain over 45mph there is sway there, so not to good but can get you home slowly in a down poor.

Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I have MPSS and I'm pretty happy with them as an overall tire. My car is my DD and these tires do fairly well with my extra power. The tires do great in the rain, and are fine around 35-40F also.

I'd like to try the G2's or 555R to see what they're like but they don't make them in my size. From alot of what I've read they're not too good in the rain though, and haven't found much info on performance at the bottom of the summer category temps. So I'll probably be sticking with MPSS. I have about 13k hard miles on them and theyre still in good shape. Probably near half tread, not bad. I can't afford to be replacing tires every 5k lol.

Chummel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I have MPSS and I'm pretty happy with them as an overall tire. My car is my DD and these tires do fairly well with my extra power. The tires do great in the rain, and are fine around 35-40F also.

I'd like to try the G2's or 555R to see what they're like but they don't make them in my size. From alot of what I've read they're not too good in the rain though, and haven't found much info on performance at the bottom of the summer category temps. So I'll probably be sticking with MPSS. I have about 13k hard miles on them and theyre still in good shape. Probably near half tread, not bad. I can't afford to be replacing tires every 5k lol.
The 555r will do better in the rain than you expect, I was pleasantly surprised. I DD mine rain or shine.

Nitto's cold weather info states that it's not to be driven or moved in temps below 15 degrees. That's stupid cold lol other than that I think they are fine. Obviously traction is worse but no damage to the tires.

I'm on 4-5 k miles right now on the 555r and I'm probably over 50% tread life still. You can get 12k plus miles on this tire. And probably hook better than the MPSS.

venumous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Procharged GT
I just drove in moderate to mod/heavy rain at 70mph on 555Rs with 4.5/32 on them for 150 miles on Friday. Put the car in rain/snow mode and had zero issues.

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP

The G2 is nothing like the 555R. The G2 will not hook as well as the MPSS you already have.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
The 555r will do better in the rain than you expect, I was pleasantly surprised. I DD mine rain or shine.

Nitto's cold weather info states that it's not to be driven or moved in temps below 15 degrees. That's stupid cold lol other than that I think they are fine. Obviously traction is worse but no damage to the tires.

I'm on 4-5 k miles right now on the 555r and I'm probably over 50% tread life still. You can get 12k plus miles on this tire. And probably hook better than the MPSS.

I just drove in moderate to mod/heavy rain at 70mph on 555Rs with 4.5/32 on them for 150 miles on Friday. Put the car in rain/snow mode and had zero issues.
Nice, both are good to hear. Sound like impressive tires and are not so bad in the rain as I thought originally.

The G2 is nothing like the 555R. The G2 will not hook as well as the MPSS you already have.
Thanks, good to know. I would like to try the 555Rs now, if only they made them in my size. :tsk: (285/35/19 & 305/35/19) I prefer 19" wheels, it sucks of course that's the size they dont make any for.
Sponsored