Sponsored

Absolutely SICK and TIRED of this piss poor paint job. Easily over 20 rock chips.

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Well, my comparison is a 2014 Infiniti QX60 and that car barely ever gets paint chips. But if I so much as look at my Mustang with a mean face, the paint chips. Almost any trip on the highway means I'll have a new paint chip. Sigh.
Sponsored

ElCid08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
As a side note...someone mentioned Novistretch. I put one of those on my first 18 GT for a 3 hr road trip and it ended up leaving two black lines in the paint right at the top of the bumper that literally took hours to get off...and never did all the way. Luckily the retailer let me return it. Glad I’ve PPF’d this current car and don’t have to worry about the front end.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I found the number one reason I get any chips, is when I follow too closely. also, since it is a car, the hood is much lower to the ground than most other cars and SUV's. Also, with darker colors, like the Kona Blue I have, a chip will show up much more noticeably. That and having a hood the size of a football field just gives little rocks more real estate to make their mark.

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
As soon as I got my 18’ in October I did paint correction then had the front end including headlights, mirrors and rear quarters behind the rear tires protected with LLumar paint protection film. I also added ROKBLOKZ splash guards. So far so good with about 4500 miles on it.

Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB, 2013 Mustang, 2017 F150SC, 2019 Flex
Vehicle Showcase
I have learned to become zen with Dr Colorchip. No mater what vehicle, chips are going to happen. Mustangs have more painted surface area exposed to road hazards, thus more likely to get chips. Many states do lousy jobs of maintaining roads due less money and higher costs to maintain infrastructure. It is a no win situation. My 2013 got damage driving through a small twister. The front end was repainted and I drove it to Sturgis looking fabulous, full bra protecting the front. I get there, took the bra off, and drove to pavilion. When I was turning to enter, a gravel truck passed me over the speed limit and without tarp. The side and front were sprayed and he was long gone. The best you can do is use a good ceramic coating and watch out for the yahoos that don’t give a hoot about other users of the road.

Sponsored

gj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Also, has anyone used Dr. Colorchip on a ceramic coated surface. Any issues?
I have used it with my Opticoat pro + coated race red Mustang a few times.
Yesterday I had to do a mirror with a large chip, have used it on the rear 1/4's before and also used the gloss black on the factory 19's.
Once you get familiar with it, it's very hard to see the repair.
Practiced on wife's old corolla first then daughters car before doing the Mustang
Best results are from building it up slowly

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Good info on the Dr. Colorchip, I have 1 big chip on drivers side rear hip. I've learned to drive very defensively to avoid these situations, but not all can be avoided. Thanks.

gj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Good info on the Dr. Colorchip, I have 1 big chip on drivers side rear hip. I've learned to drive very defensively to avoid these situations, but not all can be avoided. Thanks.
I drive the same with this car, paint looks great but it's too easily chipped.
My daily is a 2001 Ford Fairlane (Australian model) and the paint is super tough, years of
driving on our shit roads virtually no chips

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Stay away from highway constuction equipment trucks, landscapers and dump trucks. I think they cause 70% or more of what you see.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I have one big chip (and a minor dent) right on the top edge of the right side hood crease. The shape of the car doesn't help. I've probably got as many chips on the Mustang in 8 months of ownership as our '10 Sonata had in 8 years. It also doesn't help that for its entire life the Mustang has commuted on the highway with all the trucks and construction debris as they have constantly been improving the road since I started this commute two years ago. The Sonata spent much more time on the arterials and much less on the highway. I considered doing the clear bra but the price was crazy and in any event the biggest chip would have been beyond the typical coverage anyway. But I bought it to drive daily, year round, and I'm not too fussed about it all. It's the price I pay for driving a great car and being able to drop the top whenever the mood, and weather, suits. I just keep touching it up as I go along.

Sponsored

BoostedCanadianPoney

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Antoine
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard EB PP base
Horrible. Same problem here. I had a film put on the front end to protect the bumper and half of the hood. Still get rock chips where I dont have the film... crazy

FLYIN4D

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I try to drive and not worry about it, but its tough! Arizona just f'ing sucks balls due to all the dirt, dust and small rocks flying around on the highways and surface streets. Same goes for windshields - all the daily driver monster truck douche-bag wannabe's who have huge tires without mudflaps who fling rocks into my f'ing windshield or frontend. This type of bullshit makes the experience less enjoyable!!!

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I had a rental F-150 for a week when I went to PHX for work. Ended up with a chipped windshield by the end of the week. Screw that mess.

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
I dont see the quality of the paint so bad you should have seen the mitsubishi evos i had or bmws m3 they had a worst paint job then my car.
Sponsored