Sponsored

Absolutely SICK and TIRED of this piss poor paint job. Easily over 20 rock chips.

Warhead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
This is the first car I've owned where I am super-conscious of tailgating and I hang back quite a bit on the interstate in particular. It has resulted in very few marks on the car so far.

I don't know if the paint is worse than other vehicles though.
Sponsored

CommyO

Is it a v8?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 EB Premium PP
These days, I back off pretty heavy when theirs big vehicles in front of me. Not just 18 wheelers around here. I'm talking lifted trucks with big fat off road tires

'stangerza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP RR
I agree with the OP, the paint quality on the mustang is crap. Beside the mustang I have a merc AMG, that I drive as hard and on the same roads and I do 2-3x higher mileage in the merc. The Merc has a the odd surface chip, the mustang is covered in chips that go all the way to the metal/ plastic, and it shows worse on darker colors than the yellow.

BiloxiFun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Package
Seems on par with the Honda Accord and Lexus I bought in the mid 2000s. Both their paint wasn't very good, however I do a lot of interstate driving, and live on the beach.. yay sand blasting.

Xpel front bumper wrap and hood have worked great. Got 2 chips before I put it on but they aren't too big of a deal on the hood. Now, my rear quarter panels are different. A few rock chips there. I am guessing from spinning the tires and flinging rocks.

bbudman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Buddy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
If you do any driving on a road that is under construction you are going to have chips. My wife had a Fusion and where they were doing construction on I40/440 through Raleigh her car got pretty messed up. There was nothing she could do about it considering all the dump trucks dropping crap on the roads. The stuff gets thrown up and your front end gets chips. Looking back I should have gotten her a clear bra. In December a girl lost control on that same stretch of road and totaled my wife's car. I bought her a Cadillac and put a bra on it. So far so good.

My 15 2500HD Denali has quite a few chips too. That huge painted bumper is a rock magnet! So far I haven't gotten any damage to the front of the Mustang. I don't daily drive it and when I am driving it I leave plenty of room between myself and any cars up front. So far it is working out just fine.

Sponsored

Olivas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ernest
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT w/PP
My 03 mach 1 was pretty bad, and it only had 86k when I traded it in. Clear bra was at the top of my list now when I got my current car.

Jay159866

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 1966 Coupe
That looks like my car, except black. I should of done the clear cover over the entire car when I bought it. Lesson learned.

Grabber By The Bluesy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Mustang GT Premium
I've got several rock chips in the bumper, hood and even one on the roof. But eh its my daily so :shrug::shrug::shrug:

My_Coyote

Howl'n in the Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Suck it up, even Mercedes started using enviro paint in 1994. Mercedes owners are also complaining about quality of paint and rock chips.

Thank your tree huggers, the next time you see them in their Prius.

Only solution is to invest in Xpel clear coat.

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
Both Mercedes and Porsche also suffer badly in my experience. I usually clear bra but for this car but I never get more for my car when I sell in 12 months so I'm just going to live with the rock chips this time around.

Sponsored

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
I've got two chips, one of which is on the plastic below a fog light. I have one rock hit that scratched the clear coat. Otherwise it's pretty clean for 18k miles. I stay back if there's a dump or coal truck ahead of me.

Otherwise, the only thing I can attribute my success to is the Klasse sealer glaze and regular use of quick detailer. Every little bit helps.

culater

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Ford is infamous for bad, thin paint. Every mustang I have owned has been plagued by this.

Ilovemyv8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 50th An. Race Red Auto
houston is the worst, too many 18 wheelers! my front bumper looks like a ton of bugs, but its chips, need a new one.
Hwy 225 and 18 wheelers for both paint chips and cracked windshield.

Binfordtools

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
I'd like to pile on this conversation and agree that the Mustang's paint seems at the worse end of the spectrum. Between my wife and I, we also own environmentally friendly painted, non-Ford vehicles which are driven on the exact same roads as the Mustang and has virtually no paint chips. These vehicles have 20k less miles than the Mustang as well. There is something to this.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
My cars have gotten lots of rock chips since at least 1969 long before the EPA got involved with paint. Anything facing the front as well as behind tires. On my first cross country trip in my new 69 Mustang a stretch of highway in Montana was being resurfaced with the "gravel on oil" method. No choice of route meant lots of chips behind the tires.
Sponsored